Not open for further replies.

mweber

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
Has anyone tried trigger point injections. My doctor recommended getting them 2x/week for 8 weeks. I am nervous...has anyone tried this and has it been helpful?
Thanks

I have not tried these but hope someone can shed some light on them for you. I would want to know a lot more about them before I would give it consideration. What is in the injections they use? I can understand being nervous. Have you discussed the things that make you nervous with your doctor?

my doctor said there are no side effects and that many of her fibro patients have had a lot of relief from the shots. It is basically a muscle relaxer injected into your muscles and the goal is that after several times, the muscle will learn to relax on its own. I have a lot of knotted muscels in my back that spasm constantly. Another painful spot for me is my neck, but because of the lymph nodes, she does not do injections in the neck. I have tried to take muscle relaxers via oral medication, but they don't seem to do anything for me.

I have received trigger point injections for 2 weeks so far, so 4 times. I have had a little success with them. Since I only weigh 100lbs I can only receive 10 at a time as well as I can only handle 10 at a time. I receive them in my neck and down my spine to my lower back. I find the injections only help in a few spot and make some of my trigger points worse. My face and tongue go numb and i feel slightly high but only for about 10 minutes. The only issue is that it does nothing for the other billion or so other tiger points covering the rest of my body. I find the injections combined with lyrica and celexa give me about 30% relief which is pretty nice considering the amount of pain I could be in. I recommend giving trigger point injections a try. They may be painful but they are quite cheap so you have nothing to lose!

Hi efantauzzi,
I've received injections twice so far. I wish she would give the shots in my neck, as that causes me the most pain, but she will not. I am not sure I see any difference yet. I hope this works, as I am running out of options I think. Good luck to you,

Has anyone tried trigger point injections. My doctor recommended getting them 2x/week for 8 weeks. I am nervous...has anyone tried this and has it been helpful?
Thanks

I consented to a series of trigger point injections a few years ago. They did absolutely nothing for me, other than create another medical bill that I did not need.

My situation is probably different from yours, though. Doctors had not honored my request for MRI's of the neck, believing my symptoms were all originating from the knotted muscles and sensitive areas in my back.

I guess none of them had heard of referred pain and I'm positive they thought I was just looking for drugs.

Trigger point injections are much safer than epidural injections, though, so your only complication might be high blood pressure, if the injections do for you what they did for me!

:lol:

I had the trigger point injections multiple times. I found them to be very painful. Excruciating at times. Especially since my one muscle was so knotted and tense the one time that the needle almost broke in my back..... (not trying to scare you, this was my personal experience though....) I was in horrible pain / flare ups each time for a week or so afterwards.... And barely could get out of bed / off the couch due to the pain.... With zero relief from any of the several I had done... The Dr would inject anywhere from a dozen to 2 and a half dozen in one appointment..... I wish they would have helped.... I truly believe it's based on person to person for how your body will handle it. I have had two epidural injections in my neck and one in my low back. I didn't get extreme relief from them, I did notice less zapping/ electric shocks in my hands and feet though, and I didn't have a headache for 2 weeks.... But once the headache came back, boy did it seem worse than before.... But again, the needles used irritated me just like the trigger point injections did... The trigger point injections are more for muscle issues, the epidural injections are for nerve irritation, ridiculopathies, and such from bulging and herniated disc's....*Again this is solely up to you, as results vary person to person. It wouldn't hurt to try once and see how your body tolerates it and also if you notice a difference.... I would suggest that you do either neck or back first, I wouldnt personally recommend doing neck and back in one session... Also it may not hurt to have someone drive you to that appointment just incase you do experience pain.... (when I had mine done, again the pain was so bad I could not turn head to be able to drive properly....)*Best of luck to You! Let us know if you have them done and keep us posted on how you respond to them If you choose to have them done!****

Hi -
I have been getting the injections 1 -2 times per week and I think they really are helping! My dr. also added Celebrex to my cocktail of meds so between that and the injections, I am feeling ok. My neck still hurts like crazy, but I am starting to feel some relief in my back at least. I was able to walk on the treadmill for 45 minutest the other day. I haven't been able to stand for 45 minutes for a year and a half. I hope that this is the beginning to some type of remission.

I know people who have had the injections and they are a mixed bag. Personally, I would not do them. You are better off self-medicating with medical marijuana. The trigger point injections are super expensive. They are only done a few times a year, too. Highly questionable form of treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back