FL
My Recipe for Turmeric Paste to Make Golden Milk
@sunkacola

Golden Turmeric Paste

Yield: 32 Author: Buffy Owens

Serving Size: 1 ½ tsp paste

Ingredients

½ cup turmeric powder
2 tsp ground ginger powder (plus more to taste)
1 tsp ground cinnamon (plus more to taste)
1 ½ tsp ground black pepper (plus more to taste)
1 tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
Pinch of salt
1 ½ cups filtered water, plus 1/2 cup more
1/2 cup coconut oil and/or ghee

Instructions

Combine pepper, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
Combine turmeric and 1 ½ cups of water in a small pot, stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a very gentle simmer and add another ½ cup of water and continue to stir.
Add mixed spices and continue to cook and stir on low for 3 minutes, until you have a thick and smooth paste.
Turn off heat and add coconut oil or ghee. Some like to ¼ cup of each. Continue to stir until completely smooth.
Transfer to clean glass jar.
Place lid on jar after the mixture has completely cooled.
Store in the refrigerator for three weeks or freezer for three months.

Notes

How To Use Golden Paste

To make golden milk using turmeric paste, simply stir 1 to 1 ½ tsp of turmeric paste into a mug of heated almond or coconut milk and sweeten with your favorite sweetener (try maple syrup). Give it a mix and your golden tea is ready to enjoy.

Here are additional turmeric paste uses:

Add to rice to make turmeric rice
Make turmeric hummus!
Use it to flavor soups and pasta sauces

Note from Jamie: I store mine in a plastic container (it doesn't have to be glass). Once refrigerated, the fat will rise to the top and harden. I simply loosen it and break it up, then give the whole container a good stir. In fact, every time I make a mug I always stir the paste good before putting it into my mug of coconut milk. I don't use cardamom in mine only because I couldn't afford it, but I will eventually make a batch with cardamom. I do sweeten mine with real maple syrup. I love it and have a mug every day. Enjoy...it's delicious, comforting, and good for us. :)

thank you for sharing, @JamieMarc

I am curious tho, why so much water gets added when it is just going to be cooked off anyway (and I doubt 3 minutes is enough - saw basically the same recipe and everyone in the comments was saying they had separation issues, with the author saying that it should not separate if cooked down enough)

Well I wish I had an answer for you but I'm new to this too. I did indeed simmer it longer than 3 minutes because I did not feel it was getting thick enough. It's a good question and I think next time I will use less water. However, I have to be honest and say that mine turned out just fine with that much water.

Also, somebody said that they could not tolerate coconut. You can make this without coconut. For the fat, use ghee instead of coconut oil and, for the milk, use cow milk, soy milk, almond milk, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back