DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2013
Country
US
State
NY
Hello everyone
It has been a long time ....I wanted to share an update on my depression ...i started listing the days when I feel down and wanting 2 cry on my phone. I HAVE BEEN FEELING MUCH BETTER SINCE MAY. I thought that the bad feeling is over WELL....not quite right! Since the beginning of this month I have been feeling so bad...overwhelmed with sadness and all i want is 2 cry. I do not know excatly what triggers the feeling. WE HAVE been planning to move to a new house ..we have been working on it since April . I DO NOT know if the process of moving and the stress of it all has triggered the feeling to go back again. NO DR. is welling 2 provide answers... by the way i have vitamin D difficeincy and i stopped taking my vitamins... i am not sure if this is the reason. Is it hoemones? Is it depression that comes and goes..no idea

Hi Fibrofighter39

I would say that it is probably a combination of several things...
the time of year (days are shorter - ever hear of a condition called SAD?)
lack of Vit D (start taking those supplements again, asap)
Stress... of any kind can be a factor

Not sure why you stopped taking your vitamins, but stopping at this time of year is not a good idea.. especially for Vitamin D. As the seasons change, days get shorter, less sunshine, so less natural vitamin D is produced.. and if you are already deficient, stopping supplementation just adds to the problem.
Some symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency are:
  • Fatigue.
  • Not sleeping well.
  • Bone pain or achiness.
  • Depression or feelings of sadness.
  • Hair loss.
  • Muscle weakness.
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Getting sick more easily.

First, take your vitamins.
Second, go out in the sun for at least a few minutes each day. Even if you are wearing clothes and a hat, the vitamin D from the sun will still get to your body and it is vitally important.
Third, do whatever you can to reduce the stress in your life. Look it up on the internet....there are a thousand places with ideas on how to reduce stress. YouTube has relaxation videos and streaming music or guided meditations....if those don't appeal, there will be something that you can try.
Finally, get outside and walk, preferably in nature if you possibly can, even if it is a city park. Anything where you can connect to trees and the earth.
Do these things as if they were the medicine that keeps you alive, because they are.

The other thing that comes to me is that for some people depression is cyclical, and if this is the case for you it will get better again and that is something to hold on to.

And finally, know that there are people here, and I am one, who fully understand what depression is like and who are here to support you, to read what you write and respond, and to do our best to help and make sure you don't feel alone.

Get back on your vitamin d please. I too have a vitamin d deficiency. It's important to take that supplement to correct the imbalance in your body. We need vitamin d for lots of things, so please get back on that.
I suffer from major depressive disorder and take medication for it, but if yours comes and goes and it is most likely not MDD but perhaps seasonal depression or depression brought on by the circumstances of life. Moving is extremely stressful and could certainly contribute to a depressive state. It is one of the most potent stressors. I would suggest getting outdoors, moving and getting exercise everyday, socializing with your loved ones, talking to someone you trust and even mindfulness meditation.
We're here for you. Hang in there.

but if yours comes and goes and it is most likely not MDD
MDD is not limited to depression that stays at the same level all of the time. People with MDD experience fluctuations in intensity and/or duration, and can even have periods of time in which they are not depressed, although usually those are fairly short. MDD can be cyclical.

"While someone with major depressive disorder will typically “cycle” through episodes of feeling severely depressed and then be symptom-free for periods of time, dysthymia presents with persistent symptoms for years."
--from National Alliance On Mental Illness

I have seen 3 psychatrists that are not being able 2 give answers. Sth like that never happened 2 me..sth did happen that triggered the episodes? I just cannot figure it out...is it taking the elatrolet bc it happened a month after? The feeling of tearfullness is 2 much to handle...i just want 2 cry all the time

When things came to a head for me after a couple of bereavements a few years ago, I began making some changes such as breathwork and meditation. Although life was still difficult, the depression was not as bad overall with longer periods between the worst days. In swinging between a more sensible routine and not looking after myself, it's clear the sensible changes were worth sticking too. Relaxation habits would be an important part of treatment along with other measures such as supplements and talking therapy.

I have seen 3 psychatrists that are not being able 2 give answers
it is not about "getting answers", it is about learning how to cope with things in a better way... learning ways that you can hopefully change your outlook with, and to handle stress with. And yes, learning relaxation techniques is a good way of de-stressing.

And going to be honest here.. you do not want to see a psychiatrist, you want a psychologist.. there IS a difference - a BIG difference.
a psychiatrist is more likely to just write you a prescription... a psychologist will help you work thru your feelings, provide you tools (mental tool box) to help you cope with and get a better handle on things.

and get back on your vit D supplements - ASAP - if you haven't started taking them again yet.

I have had depression issues since I was a kid. I didn't develop Fibro until later in life. I've found for me that the Fibro depression is triggered by how well I'm taking care of myself (Fibro maintenance). If I have a flare up because of not staying on point with my "treatment", my depression gets a lot worse. My conclusion being it's a "physical depression". not my normal mental depression. Knowing that has allowed me to get myself out of my "physical depressions" by doubling down on my treatment protocols. It also helps that I can think of it as a physical thing than a mental thing. It helps me feel less depressed (physical things are easier to solve).

Hi there, I take vitamin d too on my prescription, I guess it could be any of those things you mentioned have brought you down right now , I know for me around this time I usually get down with season changes, I doubt your Dr would know how you started feeling this way again and sometimes even people prone to depression can't really say what make them feel so much worse again, ( life experience's trauma, they caused mine) moving is a stressful thing anyway the fact your prone to depression probably doesnt help that, but be very kind to yourself, if you can find something that's helped you previously, maybe that can help again (staying present and deep breathing helps me) just remember it's passed for you before and chances are it will again 😙💓 🤗 🤗

Last edited:
I have seen 3 psychatrists that are not being able 2 give answers. Sth like that never happened 2 me..sth did happen that triggered the episodes? I just cannot figure it out...is it taking the elatrolet bc it happened a month after? The feeling of tearfullness is 2 much to handle...i just want 2 cry all the time
Have you started taking your supplements again?

There are no "answers". As painful as it is and as hard as it is you will have to start trying different things to see if you can cope with what is going on. See a counsellor who specializes in depression. they will be able to give you help. Not answers, but assistance in dealing with this and finding ways to mitigate it. Remember that there is no quick fix, and you may need to work with this in an ongoing way. The main thing is not to find out why this is happening because you may never know, but to learn how to deal with it so that you can carry on.

depression gets a lot worse. My conclusion being it's a "physical depression". not my normal mental depression. Knowing that has allowed me to get myself out of my "physical depressions" by doubling down on my treatment protocols. It also helps that I can think of it as a physical thing than a mental thing. It helps me feel less depressed (physical things are easier to solve).
Interesting distinction and one I can immediately relate to! ...
But I'm wondering whether if that physical depression isn't actually "depression" in the full sense, it's just us being worn down by the flare, the pain, the fatigue, the lack of sleep etc.?
I am occasionally worn down by it all. And the first psychiatrist who saw me diagnosed the (fibro) symptoms as depression (pre-fibro-dx), and a Christian counsellor then despite the fibro diagnosis referred to it a "somatoform depression". My 3 sleep lab psychiatrists all agreed it wasn't and I haven't got one.
So my question is if in the same way what you are calling a physical depression is just being 'worn down', adding to the mental depression?
However of course it's only important that we find our way of managing it, and if it helps to see it as a separate type of depression that's what counts.
I can't quite see from your description if you are "doubling" the same types of treatment, or praps the physical part can use more things like sun, movement, mindset, rather than meds / supps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back