Upper back pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upper back pain could be from your posture. I'm also having it once in awhile but I think it's because of slouching. Try laying yourself flat and then both your legs up on the wall. Works every time. Also try having a massage. See if it works.

Hey guys,

I am newbie, but I am really worried about my backpain that starts about 3 months ago. I clearly understand that my office work and unactive lifestyle can caused this problem. Probably it's not really serious, because I consult with my doctor and he didn't see some reason to panic, but still, what helps you most? Mayme remedy? Exercises?

Hi Alex, yes - daily back exercises (taught by a good physiotherapist) could do the trick, and/or yoga back exercises (some say with teacher, which is probably difficult at the moment, for me dvd/youtube'll do). It's important to tense your behind, press your hollow-back out, if you're lying on your back: hollow-back and wrists onto the floor while doing physio-back exercises. Best to do them before the strain, so best in the mornings if it's the office work. Also in between. Some can do long stretching, for me it's too painful.
Also try changing your chairs: Are they soft enough? (Just discovered that a bit soft isn't always soft enough for me!)
And I need swiveling and adjustable bar stools where I can. Preferably with a desk I can stand at. Or I just put a cardbox on the desk and my stuff on that. Or put the PC tower on the desk and (monitor? and) keyboard on there - careful with the monitor tho... ;-)
Praps put some kind of heat pad on the paining areas in between or as soon as you come home.
I do my morning-exercises before sleep now too, successfully, because my sleep is now longer and I get back pain because of the added hour and less movement at night, so now. If you wake up with back or other pain, consider changing or topping your mattress.
If you're lucky after you've found the right ones for your back, 5-10mins a day might do. Seeing as it's new. Since fibro I have to do about 20-30 mins per day.
But starting new sports 1-2x/wk would be best, too... ;-) - unless you want to keep them...

Last edited:
Upper back pain is the only symptom right now that makes me from ‘annoying but ok‘ to ‘unable to function’. I have this pain for over a month now. It’s located between and under the shoulder blades and a little in the neck area. If I lie down it is a 2 in pain which is manageable, but as soon as I stand or sit up, within 10 minute the pain gradually builds up and in about 30 minutes I am getting nausea from it. If it were only when standing up, ok.., but also sitting in a chair gives me this feeling so I always have to lie down somewhat,

it feels like its fatigue, building up on some painful spots and pulling the muscle at some point... I have been to physio but my muscles were not really stiff... hopefully I can get some relief from this...

anyone that can relate to my story and found some help?

Omg yes. That back pain led to alot of tests and a PET scan to rule out cancer in lungs. No cancer in lungs but it did catch my thyroid cancer. Guess it was a blessing in disguise.

This whole journey started with the back pain that radiates down my right arm as well. They put me on Norco for almost 7 years. I stopped it cold turkey myself. Was getting dependant on it.

Now I have Tramadol and Baclofen and they are trying Lyrica? I think it's nerve issues and I have done and gone everywhere they told me to.

It's the one pain that WILL NOT go away. It's so frustrating. I am so happy I found this group.

Now I have Tramadol and Baclofen and they are trying Lyrica? I think it's nerve issues and I have done and gone everywhere they told me to.
Hi maavalos, I hope that you will take great care with the Tramadol. It is an opiate, and highly addictive. It does work; I took it myself for a while. But eventually it stops working at the low dose and so you take more and then more and so on. Even if you don't increase the dosage, it is easy to become addicted to it physically and mentally if you take it daily. I can tell from your post that you don't want to be dependent, so you might want to think about stopping the tramadol. There are other things you can do to help yourself without using drugs. Best of luck to you and welcome to the forum. :)

Hi maavalos, I hope that you will take great care with the Tramadol. It is an opiate, and highly addictive. It does work; I took it myself for a while. But eventually it stops working at the low dose and so you take more and then more and so on. Even if you don't increase the dosage, it is easy to become addicted to it physically and mentally if you take it daily. I can tell from your post that you don't want to be dependent, so you might want to think about stopping the tramadol. There are other things you can do to help yourself without using drugs. Best of luck to you and welcome to the forum. :)
Thank you so much and I agree with everything you said. I kept questioning my PCP because she knows I got off the Norco myself and didn't want to touch anymore narcotics. I find the Tramadol obviously isn't as strong as the Norco was and I make sure I stick to 2 a day. I was just put on steroids again and a DMARD for rheumatoid arthritis so I hope to GOD that will help and I can ditch the pain meds :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back