Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2009
Country
Au
State
Qld
One of the biggest issues I have is with sleep. Sometimes I can sleep long periods, other times I can't sleep and now I am sleeping during the day and awake all night. I have tried to flip this around but always seem to go back into this pattern, any ideas.

My problem is I never have trouble sleeping. I sleep 12-15 hours a day and would sleep more if my husband wasn't around to force me to get up and do something. I am scheduled to have total shoulder replacement surgery in two weeks and I am afraid with the pain meds I will be sleeping around the clock. I know it's caused by depression and I am on all sorts of medication for depression but it doesn't seem to help with the sleeping issue.

I too can sleep and sleep, sometimes I feel like I could sleep forever if no one woke me up. I have hashimotos which is an autoimmune that attacks the thyroid so sometimes I think this is what is causing the sleep. Have you had your thyroid checked and when you do it is not the normal thyroid function check as this often comes back as normal. I have a hard time with how easy things are put down to depression, I have had the same thing said to me over and over again and am also on anti depressants, quite a high dose now, but it also seems to make no difference.

I don't consider myself depressed as in clinical depression but living with fibro is very very hard especially when your not functioning and have guilt and this really gets me down.

I have gone from a high functioning person with a very active social life, clean house and never too busy to do for others to non functioning, isolated and hopeless. I am at the stage now where I realise I have to say goodbye to that old person and old life and rebuild the new fibro me, I think this is the only way a person can get through this, you have to accept that life is changed forever and nothing and no one can help you.

My sleep is one my major problems and no matter how hard I try I just cant seem to get into a normal sleep pattern and no matter how many hours I sleep I never wake up feeling rested, acceptance acceptance acceptance lol.

I refuse to let this get the better of me, although recently that's how I have been feeling but accepting that things are never going to get better I think is the key, a bitter pill to swallow but reality, this is the only thing I hang on to and that I CAN rebuild a new life around who I am now.

My advice, don't buy into the "your depressed" mantra, no, I have a chronic illness which is a ***** to live with that has robbed me of my old life but I'm still breathing and have no choice but to keep going.

Go with what works best for you. For myself (and some call this lazy) i call it my body working the way it is, and #@$/$#, the people who dont care or understand. Im usually in bed tl 11, im take my meds when i wake up for pain, around 8 am . My best part of the day is between 1pm to 10pm, its not banking hrs, its just what it is. And i will not say im sorry to anyone for how my body works. I try towork with it, i feel really bad for those who suffer extreme pain i understand i was in bed for 2 months, ive been good over the summer, i had to stay
y inside on 89 to 90s. Temps. Everyones differant.

HI Moe1959...can i ask when you were in so much pain that you were in bed for 2 months first how did you get your body to get stronger again. I am finding that after the bad few months i have talked about and being in bed a lot i cannot unseize my body and pushing to go for walks even washing up is having terrible effects...i have tried stretching, hot showers walking round the house but my body is truly like i have bean beaten 24/7. I am glad you have had a good summer.

Hey WILLOW,
The 2 months I WAS IN BED WAS MOSTLY CFS. AND YES PAIN. REALLY, TO BE PERFECTLY HONEST, AFTER 2 YEARS AND A CLINIC THAT WAS UNDER THE MICROSCOPE, DUE TO FDA CHANGES, I WAS PUT ON 5 MEDICATIONS, AND THEY ALL JUST MADE THINGS WORSE. I WAS FALLING ALLLLL THE TIME, I WAS JERKING, TWITCHING, BLURRY VISION, PERSONALITY ANGER FRUSTRAITION, SADNESS BECAUSE OF yALL THE REALITY THAT WAS HAPPENING.
SO I LISTENED TO MY BODY AND SLOWLY REMOVED THE MEDS THAT WERE CAUSE ING ME THE SYMPTOMS, TO MANY TO REMEMBER.
I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS MAY SOUND LIKE A GENERIC ANSWER BUT, HERE'S WHAT HELPED ME FOR THOSE 2 MONTHS, U TUBE, YEP! I KID MYSELF AND TELL MY FAMILY I HAVE A BATCHLER DEGREE WITH U TUBE AND FIBROMYALGIA. HEARING OTHER TESTIMONIES HELPED ME EMOTIONALLY,- LISTENING TO REAL PEOPLE, I'M TALKING CLASSIC WORKING WOMEN. WELL USE TO WORK WOMAN.
SO I ROLLED UP CLICKED TO U TUBE, SOAKED UP ( A LOT) OF KNOWLEDGE. SOME OF THE U TUBES WON'T TICKLE YOUR FANCY, SO SCROLL ON OVER AND FIND ONE THAT YOU CAN IDENTIFY WITH.
1 HOPE THAT HELPED A LITTLE. OH AND I CHANGED MY EATING HABBITS, FRUITS AND VEGGIES. SUGAR CAUSED FLAIR UPS BAD. .. Quit smoking.
I HAD A BAD VIRUS 2 YRS AGO MARCH THAT REFFECTED IN MY LUNGS, I WAS QUITE I'LL STRUGGLED TO BREATHE.
SO WE PEOPLE SAY, "good Job". I'M SURE TO TELL THEM THAT, IT WASN'T TO HARD TO MAKE UP MY MIND.

Last edited:
Thanks Moe1959,,,,, you have obviously had very hard times too. It's so hard to get your head around being so unwell. Were you born in 1959...I was!

I have had horrible insomnia my entire life... It's so frustrating. I should be asleep right now since my alarm goes off in five hours to get ready for work, but I know that I would just be laying there staring at nothingness, frustrated that I can't get comfortable. Once I do finally fall asleep then it is very difficult for me to wake up.

I've used some meds that help for awhile but side effects always seem to happen and I have to stop them.

I'm thinking of asking my doctor to do a sleep study soon and trying to find something to help again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back