DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
TX
Hi,
Newly diagnosed! (That's me!) I was always super active on vacations. Mountain climbing, hiking, snorkeling, scuba diving, parasailing, shop till ya drop, kayaking, zip lining. You name it, I did it.

I've gained 75 lbs. since fibro stole my life. We have not gone on vacation in 2 years because I have refused to go on vacation "fat".

Current problem : My husband needs a vacation......bad! We decided to take a cruise at the beginning of November. That gives me no chance to lose enough weight, so, I'll have to go fat and just deal with that.

Next problem : How do I deal with fibro on vacation? The pain, the exhaustion, the no energy?

How do you all deal with vacations?

IT'S BOTH YOUR VACATIONS? Please forgive me if I'm to nosey, but, where are you going? Is it somewhere that you can relax on say some warm sand? Maybe a tour of some kind where you would be sitting? If your on a plane, be sure and stand up ocassionaly. Make your trip as simple as possable. Throw on those slip off shoes, airport? Pack light, it's amazing what you can get by without. Bring an empty suitecase, for those keepsakes you want to take home, or if your not to far from home box up those goodies and mail them home.
I use to pack EVERYTHING, BUT YOU CAN REALLY JUST TAKE ESSENTIALS. IT'S FREEING, NOT HAVE ING TO LUG ALL THAT STUFF. AS FAR AS THE FIBRO? And weight, omg, I've gained 30 lbs, it's so depressing, but sometimes ya have to slap yourself in the face and say, it is what it is. After my last Dr. APP, AND BEING FORCED TO WEIGH IN I WAS SHOCKED. WHEN I WAS 17 I WAS 115 TO 120 DRIPPING WET, MY FIRST PG. I WAS 180, THOUGHT I WAS HAVE ING TWINS. BABY WEIGHT ONLY CAME OFF ONCE , AND I WEIGHED 145 50. I AM NOW PACKING 60 LBS MORE THAN I NEED. LET'S ENCOURAGE EACH OTHER OK? I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS, I KNOW MY OWN FAMILY LOOK AT ME LIKE WHERE DID OUR SKINNY SISTER GO? YOU WE CAN BOTH START TODAY, WEIGH OURSELVES EVERY OTHER DAY, I DON'T NEED TO KNOW YOUR WEIGHT, BUT WE CAN SHARE IN THE SMALL VICTORYS.
YOU GO, HAVE FUN! Try to do what you can, let all the guilt go.
IF WE THINK ABOUT IT, NO ONE'S REALLY LOOKING AT US ANYWAY, NOR DO THEY CARE. CHEERY RIGHT? Hope that helped.

I went on vacation two years ago for my 30th birthday. San Francisco - the first night there we did a long walk back to the hotel that ended with me in tears because of exhaustion and pain BUT the next morning I rested and made sure the rest of my time I didn't push myself too hard. We stayed a week so we could see a lot without having to pack it all in, that way the days were crazy stressful. I made a list of the items I really wanted to see and do, and we did those first, that way if I got too exhausted I was okay with letting go of something lower down the list. Before leaving I talked to my doctor - made sure I had ample medication with me and everything I needed to travel with it through airports etc. without issue.

So plan ahead and be okay with having to improvise - even if one day you have to stay in the super comfortable hotel bed and getting room service or take out delivered.

I had considered Las Vegas or New York but thought those cities would be too stressful on me with how my health was doing at the time.

Well, we are going on a cruise, so there is plenty of relaxing time on the ship. I guess I'll just have to skip the excursions that are too strenuous. I can make the best of it. Thanks for your replies.

Hi Maddy....the others have good advice. I haven't been well enough to go on vacation for sometime but if your husband helps tons with packing carrying etc. Maybe Buy some new clothes even if you feel you are overweight you can still look attractive in loose flowy dresses or whatever is your style of dressing. Get your hair done at home if going to the hairdressers is difficult...i don't know haw badly fibro affects you so it is easy to manage but feels nice.

Vow not to overdo it...like moe1959 says is your holiday too. Take your own pillow if that helps for the sun lounger or bed if possible. I actually have a folded single duvet (comforter) over the whole seat in our car so that i am cosseted by the softness on car journeys...it makes a big difference as then my bones and muscles dont dig in and ache as much.

Good LUck

You might consider taking some extra time before and after the vacationto rest up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back