Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2021
Country
US
State
KY
I was officially diagnosed a few months ago, but I've had chronic pain for several years. I also have costochondritis, osteoarthritis in my knees and at the base of my thumbs, low back pain, and de Quervain's in my left arm.

Some days I hurt so bad I just want to die. Since my left arm started to bother me (July of 2021), the arthritis in my right hand flared up and has never stopped. So, both hands hurt a LOT--and it's really hard to use them (hard thing for a writer/editor)--and whenever I do anything that requires me to be up and about, I pay for it with a flare-up of the costochondritis--my ribs and sternum and arm hurt with the slightest touch (they feel bruised).

Many times, after I've been active during the day, all I can do is sit here and hurt. Or go to bed and hurt. Besides being sore to the touch all over, everything just throbs.

Not sure why I'm writing, except that the depression (which I've had for decades) is so bad now, and everything feels completely pointless. It's hard to eat because I have no appetite, it's hard to feel like anything I do will matter.

Thanks for hearing me.

I hope it does somehow get better again and you can reach out to someone who can help (I'm sure @sunkacola can give ideas)! :coffee:

@Rhyl l, I am so sorry to hear you are feeling this way.
I know you have been here long enough that you probably have read my post of suggestions for non-medication things you can do to ease the symptoms of fibro. If you have not, please read it and consider trying some of those things.

My best advice at the moment is pretty simple: GO OUTSIDE. Go outside every single day. Sit outside your home whether it is a balcony, a front step, a porch, a chair on the lawn. If you can do more, walk around the block or the equivalent distance. If it is at all possible, even if you have to drive or get someone to drive you, do your best to get into real nature ....trees, water, near the mountains....whatever you can do, and spend time there doing nothing. If you can't really get into nature, a park will do. But to ground yourself with hands and feet on the earth is really a good practice. I do it all of the time, and sometimes I think it saves my sanity. I hope it will help you.

Thanks! I do go outside every day. Nature is the only thing that makes me feel like there is a point (oh, except my cats).
That goes for me too - nature, my animals and good people, help me get out of bed in the morning...the things that most people take for granted - the most precious things in life, they're the ones that help me through.
Glad they help you too @Rhyl. 😍

Last edited:
Oh how rotten, I also suffer with very bad hands and I ache all over,
Theres not a day I don't hurt,I find sunshine helps my pain somewhat, which is a shame as I live in the UK.so we don't get much.
But I also agree go outside,a walk in the woods always helps my mood.have you spoke to the Dr about your mental health .also do you have anything to support your hands .?

(oh, except my cats).
Our fur babies! They always make me smile!
I hope you are feeling better! I’m trying to enjoy small things. My husband put up a bird feeder. I listen to audiobooks. I have a few flowers to try yo encourage my not so green thumb!
Also, have you tried a Tens unit?

have you spoke to the Dr about your mental health .also do you have anything to support your hands .?
I have a long history of depression. Nothing has ever helped that.

I have braces for both hands, which help some, but the pain is now up both forearms. Ugh.
have you tried a Tens unit?
oh, no...I haven't. I have one, but it seems to be more trouble than it's worth. Also, not sure it would be usefu for my hands. I'll give it a shot, though!

TENS units are not really more trouble than they are worth. Once you know how (which is very easy) it takes literally only seconds to set it up and get it started. Of course there's no certainty it will work for any one thing, but I am glad you are going to try it. I got mine online and it didn't cost all that much and is worth the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back