VIDEO CHAT GROUP for people with Fibro

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyWebb

Reason
DX FIBRO
Country
CA
I intend to start a VIDEO CHAT GROUP for people with Fibromyalgia. New topics each week. *Support group.
Who is interested in joining? What kind of commitment would you have to such a group- meeting every week? once a month?

sorry, but i dont do live video stuff. my internet service is just not good enough for that kind of thing, plus, i dont own a webcam, sorry.

Hi TyWebb and welcome!

Unfortunately I wouldn't be interested in video chat either, much prefer a forum like this for privacy.
Trust me ... you don't want to see me in my baggy PJ's ...

But good luck with it! :)

In my opinion, video chat is far too invasive and potentially risky, and removes the beauty of the anonimity we have on a written forum. Here, we don't reveal anything about ourselves but what we choose to write; a video gives a great deal of info before the person even speaks.

No objection, of course, if some people want to do it, but I'm not ever going to be interested in this.

Thank you. Thank you. I appreciate each of these replies.
Now. I absolutely agree with all the above. But let's dig deeper.
YES. Privacy is very important. The chat would have rules and breaking these rules would mean being 'booted'.
Have you ever seen how Alcoholic Anonymous or Marijuana Anonymous meetings are run? You often just have to show your face for a minute, to the mediator of the meeting, and then you can continue in the chat with your camera off.
But if I may... Do any of us make progress with anything by doing nothing about it?
May I suggest that your fear of a group chat is something you have to FACE in order to deal with it. Aren't these people in these chats the type of people you would want to be grouped with if you had to do a group meeting? Reminder: no one is obligated to speak except the people who run the meeting. Everyone else can reply with a short response or not.

I understand how we're afraid to be vulnerable in front of others. That's the point. That's why it's different.
I AM NOT discrediting these wonderful online chats. But there is a bigger shield here for insecurities. You might enjoy the option of that shield... but consider the benefits of being truly vulnerable.
Try to imagine all of us, laughing and crying at the same time. Cursing and celebrating our pains. lol. Seems therapeutic.
Don't get me wrong. This is too. This is a form of journaling.

May I suggest that your fear of a group chat is something you have to FACE in order to deal with it.
I dont have a fear of a "group chat" or even being in person in a group - it isn't about being "vulnerable" to me - It is about privacy, first and foremost. I dont own a webcam for several reasons, privacy being one of them.
going to an "in person" meeting is also very different, as it is typically done in a neutral place - not in one's home.

Also, as I have already said - my internet is not stable enough for that sort of thing anyway, so it really is not a viable option in my case. I live in a very rural area, cable and fiber internet is just not available.. heck, even DSL is not an option for me. I have the best option I can get for where I live.

Personally, I think you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to coerce people into doing something they obviously do not want to do,
pushing the "live chat" format. Yes, I said coerce - because that is exactly what I am getting from you. You are trying to far too hard to get people to sign up for something they obviously do not want.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this format, and no, i do not consider it to be a form of "journaling". Journaling is a private thing, not typically shared with other people. This forum is about connecting with other people that share similar issues - maybe not "live" in the way you mean, but since we are actively participating, it is live enough. We can just as easily curse our aches and pains, and celebrate our small achievements here as we can anywhere else.

And on that note, I am done with this conversation. Have a great day.

I intend to start a VIDEO CHAT GROUP for people with Fibromyalgia. New topics each week. *Support group.
Who is interested in joining? What kind of commitment would you have to such a group- meeting every week? once a month?
Hi, Ty, good idea, thanks for the suggestion!
In August @Laura79 asked something similar here, as a theatre project centering on the question "How Are You?" We are now meeting roughly every two weeks for 4 or 5 sessions, and I've done a one-to-one with her too.
My wife encourages this, because she feels there's a much better sense of relationship with "real people". We haven't got a "real people" support group in our town I could go to at the moment, and I can't do anything after 7pm anyway, or further away, as I can't travel far.
As opposed to me she doesn't understand the sense of forums, just realized that if I didn't have all of them I'd be chewing her ear off 👂 all afternoon & evening. :ROFLMAO:
Now. I absolutely agree with all the above. But let's dig deeper.
Good idea to try to meet fears that might be there.... but...
Do any of us make progress with anything by doing nothing about it?
May I suggest that your fear of a group chat is something you have to FACE in order to deal with it. But there is a bigger shield here for insecurities.
You might enjoy the option of that shield... but consider the benefits of being truly vulnerable.
This strangely & unnecessarily makes it sound like a social phobia confrontation exercise.
I think that's one of the things that's made @cookiebaker feel you're going to far, and applying a little pressure in the process.
Aren't these people in these chats the type of people you would want to be grouped with if you had to do a group meeting?
One of the good things about the "How Are You?" project is the topic goes much deeper, and everyone there wants to do exactly that - reflect how we communicate, how our relationships are. That is something which is possible here, but a bit off topic.
Try to imagine all of us, laughing and crying at the same time. Cursing and celebrating our pains. lol. Seems therapeutic.
Well, that makes it sound like you're aiming at "Freudian" catharsis, almost like a sweat lodge - very controversial in theory and practice.... I can imagine it very clearly, as I know similar situations, and for me it would be traumatic rather than therapeutic if it were really done in such an elated over the top fashion. I much prefer to share emotions here, because I can come round to someone laughing or crying at at time when I am stable enough myself. Generally though, this is only a small part of why I'm here. Laughing, crying, cursing and celebrating I do on my own, with my wife, my family and friends - including friends here via private messaging.
Don't get me wrong. This is too. This is a form of journaling.
"Journaling"'d be what I do in my daily online "JayCS's fibro blog" elsewhere, tracking and analyzing my symptoms, triggers and treatments. But even that also contains quite a bit of my general thoughts, my research etc.
What I do here mainly is share everyone's and my ideas, working on understanding, preventing, treating and coping by listening to others and comparing with my own experiences. And this focus here would be distracted with too much information about others.
A bit strange flying in, trying to (more than) coax us into another format and at the same time greatly misunderstanding our format... 🤪. Always good to listen first.

OK, bottom line is: If you don't mean it like you've said it, I would be interested... 😜
However as you seem to be on the other side of the globe from me you'd probably want to meet outside the 8 day hours that would be possible for me.
Laura's "How Are You?" project is in the UK, and is around midday here, which suits me fine.

@TyWebb ,n you can come here and ask people if they are interested, and they can say yes or say no or not reply, and all that is just fine.

It is inappropriate, however, to attempt to convince people to do this thing you want people to do.

"No thanks" is enough. You do not need to question peoiple's reasons or make assumptions about them.
You are welcome to keep this thread in order to see if any others respond saying they are interested.

Please do not post again trying to argue about this or convince people to do this. You have your own reasons for wanting people to say yes. We have our reasons for saying No. That is enough.
Let's not argue about it.

JayCS had some very valid points. Very respectable and well written.

Apologies to those of you who thought I was trying to "force you". (Not sure HOW I could possibly force you with a few details). Thinking that I was trying to coerce you into something is absolutely absurd to suggest. You really don't understand the definition of that word.
Do you forget my original message and what my intentions here are? I have lived with fibromyalgia for 20+ years. I'm not here for sympathy or to bully people. I came here to help people and get YOUR opinions.

I'm was not trying to convince you all that I have a great idea or something great for each of you as an individual. Let that be clear.
I just wanted your input!
So I gave you all the details that I could. (Which is apparently coercing you.)

I was looking for a smart and honest response... JUST like JayCS's. That is HOW people make progress. With conversation and an ATTEMPT of understanding of the other.

I was trying to "paint the picture" for you to see and get your input.

It is inappropriate, however, to attempt to convince people to do this thing you want people to do.
Of course. :)I was trying to give information. I'm not here to persuade people who aren't able or have zero interest. I am here to share ideas and help people.

Please do not post again trying to argue about this or convince people to do this. You have your own reasons for wanting people to say yes. We have our reasons for saying No. That is enough.
I never messaged anyone directly who said "No". I just replied to the group chat. I would never target an individual who is not interested. I respect any reason someone says "no". I was just expressing the need to face our fears. Facing fears is part of good health and eliminating pain. If I worded anything poorly, my mistake. ☮️

In August @Laura79 asked something similar here, as a theatre project centering on the question "How Are You?" We are now meeting roughly every two weeks for 4 or 5 sessions, and I've done a one-to-one with her too.
My wife encourages this, because she feels there's a much better sense of relationship with "real people". We haven't got a "real people" support group in our town I could go to at the moment, and I can't do anything after 7pm anyway, or further away, as I can't travel far.
Thank you 🙏🙏🙏🙏

This strangely & unnecessarily makes it sound like a social phobia confrontation exercise.
I think that's one of the things that's made @cookiebaker feel you're going to far, and applying a little pressure in the process.
Possibly what upset them. Yes. It's not a phobia exercise. I meant more so... it will indirectly be a phobia exercise.
Just like when people get a job where they now have to answer telephones. This may help them with social anxiety. It was not the reason they applied and maybe not why they got hired for the job. But a benefit of the job would be gaining confidence socially.
With chronic pain, getting rid of any trauma or fear stored in the body will HELP relieve that pain. That's why I'm okay with cookie baker getting upset with me... I hope they feel better.

Well, that makes it sound like you're aiming at "Freudian" catharsis, almost like a sweat lodge - very controversial in theory and practice.... I can imagine it very clearly, as I know similar situations, and for me it would be traumatic rather than therapeutic if it were really done in such an elated over the top fashion. I much prefer to share emotions here, because I can come round to someone laughing or crying at at time when I am stable enough myself. Generally though, this is only a small part of why I'm here. Laughing, crying, cursing and celebrating I do on my own, with my wife, my family and friends - including friends here via private messaging.
I totally agree. This could be triggering. Depending on the direction and intention of that evenings chat.
The idea would be not to end up crying. However, when it does happen, we would encourage the release and talk about the benefits or crying (how it can help release pain) and also take about the bravery and respected vulnerability in the group.
I hope I am being clear enough. I feel like my thoughts move faster than I can type. LOL

I dont have a fear of a "group chat" or even being in person in a group - it isn't about being "vulnerable" to me -
I should have said IF. I should have said "May I suggest that IF you have a fear"
I certainly didn't mean to say you must have a fear.
Two things.
1. I like all cookie bakers. and anyone named Cookie Baker lol
2. thank you for your reply. Even if there was confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back