Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2014
Country
US
State
HI
has anyone had issues with vitamin D supplements and causing headaches? if so, how did you go about increasing your vitamin D levels? i tested 0 for vit d and every time i took a supplement a pounding headache would surely follow. so i tried to take it with magnesium but that did not help either. and i eventually had to go off magnesium because it was causing other issues. i also had to cut out dairy out of my diet as it tested positive on my igg and iga allergy tests.

you'd think that i get enough sun in hawaii for vit d but i actually tested 0 in hawaii. it was slightly higher in nyc. doh!

Yeah, especially with high doses, the thing here is to ensure your calcium level is high enough. I quickly downed a pint of milk one day when I had vitamin D headaches and the pain went within half an hour. Supplements might work too, but I honestly believe drinking milk acts much fast if you can tolerate it.

Vitamin D deficiency and fibromyalgia are related and many patients with the former are diagnosed as having the latter. Actually, Vitamin D is supposed to alleviate fibromyalgia and many wheel chair bound patients have been healed after taking Vitamin D supplements. These supplements also have a large catalogue of side effects. Consult your physician for drugs that don't interact negatively with vitamin D.

I take my vit d in a cod liver oil and evening primrose oil supplement. Also contains vit A and E and omega 3 for heart joint and skin health.

thank you for all the advice and input. i'm going to try to take the vit D with a calcium supplement and see if it prevents the headaches.

willow- did you get headaches from taking vid D before taking it with the oil supplements?

Maybe start with a low dose and ramp up?

It may be possible you are reacting to something related to the source of the vitamin d. Most vitamin d suppliments are derived from lanolin which comes from sheep's wool. You might try a suppliment derived from a different source if possible (I think they can also derive vitamin d from yeast and lichen)

I've heard taking it with a little oil is a good idea because it is fat soluable

The vitamin D is in the fishoil capsule...i don't know if its added or a natural part of the product...i get headaches but not related to this supplement...i get them regardless.

Hope this helps.

I was thinking the same thing @DK_engineer mentioned, maybe the sudden jump is causing the headaches. I'd definitely try starting off slowly and see if you still get a headache. If not, you could gradually increase the dosage until you start seeing some positive effects.

@willow, do you have a link to the supplements you take? I'd be very interested in trying them out. I will try pretty much anything I can, as long as I can afford to buy it.

hi warriorprincess welcome to the forum! unfortunately this forum doesn't allow links but if you look them up on google it should pop right up.

thanks for all the feedback everyone, great advice! i've been taking a lower dose with calcium and lo and behold, no headaches so far! Yaaaaayyyyyyy~~~~

OP, ingesting foods high in vitamin D could be helpful as well, it's always good to get your vitamin D doses from your diet, my friend (a doctor) told me the body absorbs vitamins better that way. Supplements will never beat a good diet. Or at least that is what he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back