Was my fibromyalgia diagnosis too 'easy'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wondered cause I have only had maybe 1 or 2 days so far that I was actually in bed all day. I have pain all the time and I've noticed some things already like a few minutes ago we were taking down some decorations and my husband had taken down a banner I had intended to leave up for a while. I have a short fuse these days and am grumpy when I'm hot and hurting, which was the case. I got upset...well, mad at him over it and I noticed all of a sudden my knee and back started hurting really bad. I know that getting upset/ mad makes me tense up, so that's a big no no for me. When you're new to this and get to reading posts, you read all sorts of things and it just seems like everyone has it really alot worse than I do. I have a higher pain tolerance. (I've been dealing with this for over a year now with virtually no meds other than OTC tylenol and ibuprofen.) So, I'm just dealing with the pain and the other things going on like the "Fog". Like I said, after reading some things that are going on with others, I was wondering if I'd wake up one day and it really be at a new next level or get worse all of a sudden.
Well, the truth is that until you get more accustomed to this, and you find the things that will help you the most to be able to manage it and mitigate the symptoms, you will have times of frustration that can come out like this. Try not to be too hard on yourself, and know that as you learn more and do the things that help you, it will most likely get better all around.

I also have always had a high pain threshold. the thing about comparing yourself with others is that there are always others worse off that you are, whether it is financially or physically or whatever. It is helpful to remember the good things you have and be grateful, but you don't need to feel bad about the fact that you also have a hard time. I have had the great fortune not to live in an impoverished country, and to have had privileges that millions of people can only dream of, and I am grateful for that daily. And at the same time, I can say in honesty that I have not had an easy life. Easy in some ways, compared to people who are refugees or starving, but not easy for me to live through in other ways. I think the only time comparison is useful it to get perspective and remember what you have to be grateful for. But don't ever think that because your symptoms are not as bad as someone else's that means they don't count.

They count. Your experiences count. You count. Don't forget that.

I find these days it is imperative that I distance myself from anger and angry conflict, whether I am involved with it or not, because it always makes me anxious, can lead to an anxiety attack, and usually results in greater pain as a result. I have not always known how to do that, but I learned. You will too.

Thankyou Sunkacola. What you've said is very uplifting. I am learning quick to keep myself distanced from things and people that cause me anxiety. Cause I know that my anxiety leads me down a very nasty road of pain. Its hard but I am including family members in that, as well. I am having to distance myself even from my own parents at this time due to this. So, I am learning really quick.
That high pain threshold has gotten me in trouble as people don't really believe I am hurting as bad as I am because I can hide it well and go on and do, when I really need to stop and sit down and rest my body.
You are so right. We must always count our blessings and there is always going to be someone worse off than I am. I've just always been taught to put myself aside and to look at the pains of others.
I will be starting counseling on Aug 6. My dr feels that its a good way to release my anxiety and to get it out of my system. I have a hard time talking about things and opening up to a complete stranger, but I am going to do this. I want to release all this tension and anxiety. And, I want to feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back