Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny's night out is tonight. I'm waiting for his Thursday evening post. And (cough, cough) when I was 20 I had family living in London. My cousin introduced me to the Pubs. I liked cider....and the comfy neighborhood coziness of your tradition.

Johnny, we count on you to liven things up and bring us a laugh.

Ann...who is smiling.

It was definitely not for sober drinking...a UK person will have to tell its secrets, however. I was there a very long time ago, creak, creak (bones, you know).

lol anne,in the 80's when i was a young lass we went to a local club on a monday night as it was 10p a pint night................boy could i tell you some stories .

Diane, Cider IS made from apples and its delicious. Just like a fizzy apple dronk, but the fermentation process of course make it alcoholic. Most ciders have a similar alcohol content to beer, but others (especially some of the english apple ciders), pack quite a punch. Yum. You should try it. My problem is that if I drink it at night after a tiring day (yesterday) i cant get upstairs to my bed easily. Like taking a handful of Baclofen tablets.... go all jelly leged ....and no Ann.... I am not drunk LOL ( only had 1/2 bottle)

:oops: Aly

Aly,

Thanks for that description! Sounds wonderful. I drink a lot of apple juice - just not fermented. I may have to slow down and let the next bottle set awhile!

Do you suppose we can get it at our virtual pub?

:) :)

Last edited:
Oh no doubt. The stuff there will be the best. Won't have any nasty side efects. :)

Aly

well i watched me grandson play soccer thursday night.and missed me night out for wich i will be blackballed..shame.......the cold got to me, or was it the lack of lagers?..apparently there was a full turnout, according to.. Dia the lier...who cant be trusted..cos i know for sure that. Dia the bike..was!nt there..cos he fell off his bike and was in emergency...clunk clunk and click were still showing off there knee op scars...and Dia pasty has gone on a diet..again!........King Billy our resident painter is now chairman down the golf club for a year..its gone to his head so says dia the lier..now calls his business,,,Paint and design consultants...sommat like that.. ok, i warn you. lay off the cider ..but if you try it you have my admiration....loves johnny

Rather than "weakness vs. fatigue," I would say weakness leads to fatigue because it requires more energy to accomplish what you might want to do. I got my ALS diagnosis Nov. 2010 after an 8-month workup, during which time the weakness in my neck, shoulders and back became increasingly worse at what to me was a frightening pace. I saw my neurologist three times, and it was not until the third visit and the second EMG that she firmed up her suspicion that I had ALS. Apparently doctors have certain guides that dictate when a problem becomes a certain disease. My neurologist said that at least three limbs had to be involved. She thinks the spine should be regarded as a limb but the medical establishment does not. My legs passed muster on the first EMG but not my arms. Three months later I was experiencing more cramping, twitching and weakness in the legs. I had fallen two or three times. Another EMG showed that the legs were indeed involved. I can't do much for very long without having to sit down or lie down. My wife, who is 80 also, does the heavy lifting around here. The fine motor skillls are becoming more difficult to perform. At the start of the 8-mnth workup to the ALS diagnosis, a physical therapist, gave me some very simple exercises which have proved quite helpful in using muscles and warding off atrophy. I go to gym from time to time. I use a walker from time to time. I am still driving. I am fortunate in that I do not suffer any great pain. Nor do I have a problem with sleeping.
--Gene

Hi Joyce - Hope you can get the muscle atrophy checked out. My ALS started in my left hand, moved to my right, and over the past two months I have watched those little muscles between the base of the thumb and the index finger just disappear. Myy PT tells me they are called the "first interossiae". My hands are becoming increasingly useless, and my daughter and husband are getting better at cooking (a much-loved pasttime for me). I am getting better at asking strangers for help - like when I have to get the gas cap off and on when refilling! But still it is very hard.
Good luck-

Sue

Hi all, ive just been perscribed baclofen, 1 tablet a day to be taken at night. I was given this because i was suffering with aches and pains in my legs and lower back. I dont get major cramps, just the odd bit in a morning. Does baclofen help solve these problems? only picking up my first lot today so not taken any yet.

Thank you all for your responses.

Chris_b...baclofen should help with your stiffness. I take mine mainly at night and I do not get woken with those spasitic spasms that seems like my body was stretching but got locked up into the stretch and won't relax. I hate those.

I went to my GP and he was alarmed at how much strength I have lost since my cruise. He is also concerned about the visable wasting in my thumbs. He has given up on the Mayo clinic in Minnisota and turned his sights on the Mayo clinic in Arizona. Well I got a call yesterday from the Mayo clinic in Arizona. Come to find out...they are not on my insurance plan as a prefered provider. Although I know that the Minnisota one is. They said they are the same clinic with the exception of how the buisness end is run.

So she told me that the Mayo clinic in Florida is on our PPO. So I asked her if we have to start all over again to get them to repond and she said she would expidite the referall over to them and put urgent on it. So we shall see.

I am at conflict internally on this whole thing. I hate the fact that I even have to do this! I do not use the word hate often so its meaning to me is strong. Having to travel is difficult on planes. When I go on cruises, the plane flights are very difficult. Usually making me weaker. But the cruise will always be a pleasure that makes the travel worth it. Having to travel to Fl. to have to be poked at and told what I already know. To have to spend all that money and not have a pleasurable time. Its almost like torchure!

Ok...rant over. Sorry you had to waste time reading it. If its any consolation, I really do appreciate the time you spent!

Hi Chris, lots of us are on baclofen, and yes if your aches and pains are being caused by umn spasticity,then there is a good chance it will help. Baclofen helps alleviate spasticity. You find it helps you sleep a bit as well because it is mildly sedative.

Aly

sorry anne..didnt go the boozer again tonight..still trying to get over letting myself get cold watching my grandson play soccer last thursday,,,,so stiff and consequently not sleeping to well...never mind hey?..soon be back to half throttle..nice to see the pls boards busy..by the way hes got a big head hasnt he?.......keep cheery, to all..johny.

Joyce, I was wondering what was happening with the referral. It's been months and months since you first mentioned it. It does not seem at all fair that you had made no forward progress. I can imagine the thought of flying to Florida is very daunting, but I suppose it will be another huge hill that you will climb admirably as always. You are a very strong lady, and you will be able to overcome the flights I am sure.

As your condition is clearly progressing and you now have some atrophy, you really need to have some idea what you are dealing with. I know you hate it, we all do, but you are special and deserve the best.

I hope you do not have to wait too long again, and on a plus it will be warm in Florida.

Best wishes
Aly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back