Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2017
Country
US
State
Wisconsin
Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum and to my diagnosis of fibro.. however I've been dealing with it for years.

I've been seeing a chiropractor to try to see if it'll help with some of my pain. She told me today that the stormy weather we're having is probably causing my flare up. I saw her yesterday in better shape and today she could feel the inflammation is worse in my neck.
Does anyone else have this issue?

I knew the extreme cold would hurt my tmj but it seems like the rainy weather is making my trigger points, tmj, and my bladder painful. Lets just say everything painful :(

I feel so alone and crazy in this struggle.

Thanks,
Jess

Yes, I think the weather can affect mine. I also have had some success lessening the headaches by going to pt for my neck. Wishing you better days.

Yes, rain on the way is the worst for pain for me. Cold weather changes would be next worst, I suppose. Keeping the sore areas warm with hot packs helps me a lot but I'm thinking of seeing a chiropractor too. The cost has been stopping me but if a spinal adjustment would bring relief I would go. Do you think it has helped?

Being out on a very cold and windy day makes my fibro 10 times worse. You already feel it when you step out of the door, how your body is trying to keep warm, and all those tight muscles put too much strain on the whole body. Then the added discomfort of the cold and the wind.....I have to completely cover myself with many layers and go out of the house looking like a 'mummy'!

I also notice more headaches and joint aches (especially on areas that have had an injury) when there is a change in the barometric pressure. I can almost always sense a storm coming. :)

Yes, rain on the way is the worst for pain for me. Cold weather changes would be next worst, I suppose. Keeping the sore areas warm with hot packs helps me a lot but I'm thinking of seeing a chiropractor too. The cost has been stopping me but if a spinal adjustment would bring relief I would go. Do you think it has helped?

I wanna say it has helped a little with my neck pain but I too have spent a lot of time and money to have very little improvement. I get trigger point injections by a pain management doctor which used to help for about a month or two. It helps relieve the knots in my muscles.

What do they inject Jess is it steroid shot? Does it bring relief just in the trigger points or larger areas..i literally hurt all over every muscle and joint tendon..like run over by a bus..lol or worse....nothing much so far has helped.

Any tips welcome.

It's a combo of steroid and lidocaine. It generally helps release the muscle knots I have that are spasming. I get them generally on my right side of my middle and lower back, neck and shoulders. It used to last a few months to get of that hot fire poker feeling out of my muscles so i can sleep. I dont think it would help with tendons. I wish there could be a magic pill for that.

Hi ConductorJess,

Please do not feel alone. Research has proven that most people who have fibromyalgia are affected by cold weather. They get the worst symptoms during damp, cold days. Try warm baths and thick or layered clothes when winter sets in. Take care of yourself. :)

It's a combo of steroid and lidocaine. It generally helps release the muscle knots I have that are spasming. I get them generally on my right side of my middle and lower back, neck and shoulders. It used to last a few months to get of that hot fire poker feeling out of my muscles so i can sleep. I dont think it would help with tendons. I wish there could be a magic pill for that.

Lidocaine is the one drug I can totally get behind , gotta love lidocaine. I even bought a whole bunch of pure 5% lidocaine gel online ( from tattoo shop) just for any kind of desperate situations.

I do feel like a weather forecast cause all my joints can really tell the whole day of weather down to some numbers. Giving me a new appreciation for all Seniors citizens before I becoming one. Cause the pain do sing a different tunes . Either lighting me on fire, or kicking me in front of the moving train.

Last edited:
I think most people with fibro have trouble with cold weather especially if it is cold and damp.

I live in a very warm and dry place.....desert.....but in the summer I have a real problem with air conditioning.
If I go somewhere in the summer I always carry a long sleeved shirt or even a medium-heavy sweatshirt, because if I go from outside where it is 105 to 110 degrees F to a building that is cooled down to 72 degrees I find that the shock is intense. I don't think it is really good for anyone, actually, but for me it is terrible.

The worst of it is when other people think that I am exaggerating or making it up. I hate that so much. They say things like: well, just put on more layers if you are cold and that will fix the problem! But it doesn't!! If it is that warm outside and my body is conditioned to being very warm in the summer, it doesn't matter how many layers I put on. If I have to sit in a room that is 72 degrees, my fingertips will turn white and my lips will turn blue. And my body will tense up so badly that once I get home I will be in excruciating pain for the next 12 to 24 hours. So I cannot even go to some things in the summer.

I'm actually quite opposite when it's comes to heat do to my burning skin pains I get from my fibro and panic attack I get when I experienced heat over than 70. Although during cold season I do feel lots of cold pains but I can easily manage it with hot bath and warm clothing. But heat can literally kill me or feeling like it's killing me and there's no place to hide. To me comfortable temperature will be between 62-69 degree Celsius. Anything more than that I'm bundling my self with cold packs. My panic attacks are very painful to deal with during summer cause with fibro It's flare up everything including spasm like non stop causing me long term insomnia, not to mention my major depressive disorder would be running wild like a dog constantly howling in my brain.

Tipnatee I think you mean 62 degrees Fahrenheit, not Celsius. 62 degrees celsius would be 142 degrees fahrenheit and I don't think it ever gets that hot not even in the desert.

Oh no!!! I was typing with my brain fog yesterday!! thank you a bunch for correcting me !!! Yes I meant Fahrenheit NOT Celsius lol oh boy . I would have been completely cooked. Lol. Yesterday I also made another great big mistake typing on some applications , I supposed to typed the word Therapist but instead I type The-rapist . Needless to say there were a lot of confusion. ��

Last edited:
My neurologist at my pain management clinic said that, lower temperature, as well as changes in barometric pressure cause flares. I became a winter bird in order to escape the rainy and snowy climate of northern Utah. It helps very much to be in the desert where there are few changes in barometric changes and most days are much warmer. This makes a very marked improvement in my averages. That is something that I have learned as well. To think less in terms of good and bad days but rather longer term watching for better averages of more good to bad and less painful bad days.

TomT I like your way of thinking....aiming for better averages. I'm going to contemplate that for a while and see how I can apply it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back