Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NM
I was just wondering if anyone has the same problem I do. I have fibro for sure and CFIDS, depending on the physician. Anyway, I work about 10 hours a day, Monday through Friday. Yes, I know that is stupid, but that is part of my job. Anyway, on the weekends I end up sleeping all night and almost all day Saturday and Sunday. I wake up tired on Saturday, do a few chores and then I hurt so bad and am so tired that I end up sleeping the rest of the day. I do the same thing on Sunday. Is this normal for fibro/CFIDS? I know I do too much during the week, but is sleeping for two days even remotely normal? Let me know. Thanks!

I do this every weekend. A few weekends back I decided to sleep in until I woke up. I woke up at 8:00. 8:00 p.m.! I'd slept for 20 hours straight. Normally I wake up in the morning, have breakfast, then go back to sleep till supper, then go to bed early, but sometimes I just sleep straight through till afternoon.

I've found that if I don't sleep all weekend, I can't make it through the work week. I've got to keep my job, so I have to be really careful to stick to my weekend sleeps. It totally destroys my social life, but I got to pay bills.

I'm with you there. It really does play havoc with my social life.

That was my life until I couldn't do it anymore. Now trying to figure out what I can do.

Oh my, this is me. I can sleep all night and not feel refreshed. I work M-F. As soon as I get home, I take a nap, wake up for dinner (that my husband cooks) and then go to bed. I have to do this in order to get myself to work the next day. I food shop on Saturday so that I can recuperate on Sunday. ANY type of social activity such as a meeting, going out to dinner, etc. exhausts me and leaves me in pain.

I usually sleep 9 - 11 hours on the weekends. Sometimes that can leave me feeling quite refreshed though. Not as good as a evening nap but still quite an improvement. The energy boost only last an hour or two though before fatigue sets in again.

You may be sleeping that much because your body is needing that much to heal itself from what your body is going through in particular. I have this condition as well as you do, and trying to get the right amount of sleep can be a hard thing to figure out. I have found one drink that has helped me in the past. It is tart cherry juice. Doctors even recommend this type of juice. My doctor recommended it to me to try to help me sleep, and it did help me sleep alot better. It must be the tart cherry one, and not any other cherry flavored kind.

There are two things that have changed my life in regards to energy....and that is Malic Acid/Magnesium supplements (capsules) that I get from Vitacost.com. It's inexpensive and you can take up to 6 a day. It really helps! Then, I found Thrive by Le-Vel and I'm off my sleep apnea medicine, Provigil. Otherwise I couldn't stay awake and work all day. These two items together (the Thrive is a 3 part system of 2 capsules first thing in the morning, a patch that you wear and then a shake about a half hour after the capsules, and you are set for the day! Awesome stuff. :)

I am the same way.. I sleep whenever I can and usually weekends are spent in my pajamas, going from the bed to the couch. I still try to get housework done of course, but in between washing dishes and doing the laundry, I take another nap or two. There is such a huge need of rest that I cannot push myself to do anything that requires too much energy. I know it isn't healthy but at the moment it's how it is.

@Chevy63, I have to try the THRIVE W and see if it helps. I've been on quite a few supplements and nothing has improved my energy levels or pain so I'm rather skeptical, but it's worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion :)

For years I've been trying to figure out how to not feel so tired all the time. My tiredness is bad to the point where if I'm scheduled to go somewhere, I'll end up canceling because I would rather just go to sleep. I know taking frequent naps isn't healthy, but sometimes I just can't help it. I don't know about the rest of you, but sometimes I just nod off while watching TV! I work from home and there have been times where I've had to stop working just so I could take a nap. I feel so lazy! It's really not a good feeling to have :(

That being said, I've been interested in taking supplements, but I'm also a little skeptical. THRIVE W sounds pretty interesting though and I wonder if it would work for me! Thanks for the recommendation! I'm going to look it up and learn more about it!

I do (or try to) the same thing. I don't sleep well at all so I'm always tired. My weekends are my attempt at catching up. If I have a function I really, really want to go to, I nap for 30 minutes to an hour before I have to get ready so I can hopefully make it. I've canceled multiple outings because I'm too fatigued. I'm working to try and have quality sleep. I'm in bed plenty of time to get a good night sleep, but I don't sleep. When I do, it's very disrupted. I bought a fit bit in January. Oh my gosh what a wake-up call. It really brought home how little rest my body gets....

I do (or try to) the same thing. I don't sleep well at all so I'm always tired. My weekends are my attempt at catching up. If I have a function I really, really want to go to, I nap for 30 minutes to an hour before I have to get ready so I can hopefully make it. I've canceled multiple outings because I'm too fatigued. I'm working to try and have quality sleep. I'm in bed plenty of time to get a good night sleep, but I don't sleep. When I do, it's very disrupted. I bought a fit bit in January. Oh my gosh what a wake-up call. It really brought home how little rest my body gets....

I've heard of Fit Bit but I have no idea what it does! I've tried everything to help get a decent night's sleep. One thing that HAS helped me is making sure there are not any lights on. I swear, all the electronics in this world just set the world ablaze with light and it really does mess with how well you sleep. I even have black out curtains. On the contrary, my sister actually bought me a salt lamp that emits a low light and changes color. It's supposed to promote sleep but I haven't actually looked up how or why it supposedly does. I turn it on at night before I go to bed but turn it off when I actually go to sleep. Maybe it just tones down the mood in a room? I guess I should probably look that up!

The Fit bit tracks your sleep pattern as well as your activity and number of steps. They say Fibro sufferers are supposed to move. Well, it's enlightening how much I move sometimes and how little others. It's a good investment if you are a competitive person and want to get out and push yourself. Many times I can't force myself to do more than just get out of bed, but other times I feel like, "Wow, I'm almost at 10,000 steps! Let's see if I can actually hit it!" The sleep tracker part was amazingly eye-opening to me. I averaged about 3 or so hours when I first got it a few months ago. I'm now up to 5+-. That's after laying in bed so fatigued I can't open my eyes for 12 hours or more! It's improving. Just another tool for the toolbox. You can also plug in food and special activities. I think it can also track other things if you want to pay a yearly fee. I haven't chosen to do that. I got the Fit Bit Flex. It's narrower and links with the computer and smart phone and was the most reasonably priced. Hope that helps.....

Another thought apike is using relaxation techniques. I loaded a relaxation CD onto my ipod and listen to it while I'm trying to sleep. It walks you through the different parts of your body to relax. That has helped some. I still have insomnia a lot, but it's slowly getting better....Find one that truly works. If it doesn't, find another. I notice that having the ear buds in my ears helps to mask the various sounds around me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back