Weight Loss With Chronic Fatigue + Pain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting thread, I hope to lose weight this year and will keep an eye out for advice here. It's very difficult when pain and fatigue stops you from exercising along with weight gain from medications. I've put on a lot of weight in the last few years from drinking too much and eating junk food although I usually don't eat much during the day.

I'm going to try fasting 16 hours a day and eating something reasonably healthy during an 8 hour window and see what happens. It's meant to help a lot so hopefully IBS and reflux will settle. Apparently during the second day of fasting the body begins burning fat reserves. Some fast 3 days a week to help weight loss.

Working out while doing other things as mentioned earlier and low reps sounds positive. I've been trying to see everyday tasks as exercises in themselves as I'm not able to work out properly. Hopefully incorporating gentle movements will help.

@KrisWark
All the best for the future, hoping you be able to lose weight and feel better 👍
Intermittent fasting seems to suit some people really well and there are lots of different formats to try - good luck with it Badger!

Yes, it's really hard when everything feels like it's stacking up against us. You've been through such a lot, so definitely give yourself maximum credit for getting through it all, even if a few bad habits helped you along the way! I'm also inclined to drink too much whenever I hit crisis mode. Always trying to strike a balance between re-finding my self-discipline and being forgiving of myself in those periods. Sometimes, we just have to survive, and wait until things get a little brighter. I think you're doing fantastically 💪

I take a lot of supplements. The things i have found most helpful are mycellular curcumin, matcha (i usually put it in yogurt), quercetin, and lemon verbena with hibiscus tinctures. These are to decrease inflammation. Please research them to see if they would be helpful to you.

I take a lot of supplements. The things i have found most helpful are mycellular curcumin, matcha (i usually put it in yogurt), quercetin, and lemon verbena with hibiscus tinctures. These are to decrease inflammation. Please research them to see if they would be helpful to you.
Hi there, and by the way: Welcome 👋
I'm not sure if you're referring to the "weight loss" topic of the thread here, but I can imagine these anti-inflammatory supps helping some. Unfortunately my hyperacidic stomach doesn't tolerate curcumin, lemon verbena or hibiscus, but I use quite a lot of quercetin as well as components of matcha: theanine and EGCg. I can feel a little effect from theanine, not sure about the others because I needed so much suddenly and decreasing some to find what does what is too risky...

I have a hyperacidic stomach as well and feel your pain literally!! I take a lot of Nexium and Pepcid for it😔. This wasn't in response to the weight loss thread necessarily but, it does help with the pain and thus helps to be more active.

I take quercetin as well. The lemon verbena helps me with muscle recovery. My accupuncturist has me on L-theanine hoping it will help at night. ECG? I'm not familiar with that one. What is it? I also utilize fish oils as well.

I find I have to play around with what dosages work and when. For example, all of my symptoms increase as the day goes on. I have been able to cut down on my gabapentin which makes me happy. So that is something I cling to.

I have a hyperacidic stomach as well and feel your pain literally!! I take a lot of Nexium and Pepcid for it😔.
Ah, I (need to) try to manage everything without any meds, so avoid triggers like the anti-inflammatory spices (lots un-spicy tho).
This wasn't in response to the weight loss thread necessarily but, it does help with the pain and thus helps to be more active.
Ah, get it now.
My accupuncturist has me on L-theanine hoping it will help at night.
I started it at night, but had to move it to the daytime (it changes dopamine as well as serotonin), as it was disturbing sleep a bit, like strangely magnesium glycinate did, too. Maybe at the moment I should move it back to night or early morning, come to think of it!
ECG? I'm not familiar with that one. What is it?
EGCg = "Epigallocatechin gallate". That doesn't help much either, does it? ;) Came across it for my MCAS. A catechin, i.e. a type of polyphenol, i.e. a type of phenol, i.e. a type of flavonoid in green tea: antioxidant, anti-inflammatory...
I also utilize fish oils as well.
As I'm pretty vegan I've been using microalgae oil for a few months, but whilst trying to reduce my supps, I've decided it'll be win-win using more canola oil for my raw veggie salads.
I find I have to play around with what dosages work and when. For example, all of my symptoms increase as the day goes on.
Definitely! Had to write all my 50+ supps and basic info in a big grid tho and take the ~25 (50-60 capsules) I take at the moment at 9x during day (& night), some with meals, some 2h away from meals. Balancing out amino acids was one of the trickiest jobs. Getting sicker from overdosing is part of the game. Whether substances or any kind of physio - at the moment Chinese acupuncture, which I've realized (researching after it triggered my focal seizures) increases serotonin and decrease histamine, which means praps needing to adjust the supps, but hard...
I have been able to cut down on my gabapentin which makes me happy. So that is something I cling to.
Yeah, I can imagine! Such a relief when I got off amitriptyline, or later cardiovascular meds by using alternatives. Been med-free for a few months, but haven't managed to stop lipids rocketing, despite 10 supps for that (regular cardio-scans are reassuring).

Fellow acid refluxer here! I know this is somewhat off-topic, but have you tried any really high-quality pro- or prebiotics? I have had many months-long bouts of needing Nexium (sometimes combined with Zantac) to ward off some of the worst symptoms (nausea/vomiting/extreme bloating), and find that besides reducing my stress as much as possible and avoiding the acidic foods, prebiotics help me quite a bit.

I also once had a dietician recommend a book called "The Acid Watchers Diet" which I tried, but couldn't stick to (I can do elimination diets but have a really hard time when there's a timed component - ie: eating every 2 hours, or whatever).

I'm going to look into the lemon verbena! One of the things that keeps me from being more active is knowing that I'm going to be in pain afterwards.

I have a horrible time with it as well. I am looking for a good pre and probiotic. So please let me know if you find one.

I was overwhelmed with stress and exhaustion this past winter and I over did it on a bike about 10 weeks ago and have had to stop all exercise even my yoga. I am now at a point where I am going to begin again - and do a bit each day to build up my muscle - it is a slow process, but the only way with fibro. I too used to climb mountains, swim kilometers, etc but age and fibro have held me back these past few years. I just had a conversation about this with my therapist - its so important to take it slow and be kind to yourself. I'm on meds that have caused weight gain and have had to adjust how I see myself - again, it goes back to acceptance and kindness to yourself. It doesn't mean you have to give up, but allow yourself to like yourself whatever size you are and take each day as it comes. It is a journey and it takes courage and patience. Good luck.

There's a guy on utube, Bobby flav, and he reads ingrediants on EVERYTHING. He only uses and eats clean ingrediants so it's nice to have someone doing some of the work. Anyway he has pre and pro biotics that are supposed to be really good so check that out.
(((gentle hugs)))

utube, Bobby flav
Ah, had to look around a bit: Bobby Parrish, FlavCity. Wow, never been in a real US store before :)
Hard to find something relevant to me, since I don't eat any processed foods, but I did.. in "Buying Fruits & Veggies At The Grocery Store - What You Need To Know" a reminder how to make parsley last longer. Also I now know that the English word 'kale' is what I thought it was. I also like the way for people who don't buy completely organic what's more important and what you can get away with. Everything I hear him say is right, some answers questions for me (bag salad when washed is 'bleached' a bit - he says even organic may be?). Also fun to watch & listen to.

He's great for people like me who's eyesight isn't the best for reading ingredients. Even found out that some keto snacks use bad ingrediants sometimes. I don't follow a keto diet but I love their sugar free candy.

I'll have to check out the Bobby Parrish videos, it's difficult knowing what to do for best, but then that's speaking with brain fog and no patience. I end up ordering the same old things or doing without. In the meantime, small changes as they say should hopefully help us along.

Are you still gluten free?

Are you still gluten free?
I am and will always be as long as they keep spraying poison on wheat crops. I make wonderful breads, rolls, muffins and cheese crackers all wheat free and delicious! I was making tortillas but they came out with almond flour tortillas that are fantastic. There's also cassava flour, quinoa and cauliflower tortillas that are great as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back