What did you do after you were diagnosed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just diagnosed last week, and I must say, it is a huge relief to know that I am not crazy. This pain that I have been dealing with for the last 9 months is not all in my head. I am now researching ways to decrease the pain and to help cope with the pain. I honestly did not want this diagnosis because of the stigma that it carries. I am a healthcare worker, and I always thought it was just something the Drs diagnosed when they had no idea what was wrong with their patients. However, after reading the top 10 symptoms and being able to check off 8 of the 10, I am accepting that this is a real diagnosis. I am taking this day by day. I plan to make some diet changes and try to get back on a regular work out routine.... even if it is just walking for 10 minutes.

I have been crying nonstop since I got my hands on my medical records confirming a secret diagnosis. But I am a wimp. I am also getting blood work done today because my poly is really high and my lymphs are low which can either be stress or something truly awful.

Well, to be honest the diagnosis wasn't a surprise for me at all. I was expecting it, mostly because the doctors had ruled out all the other possibilities. The first thing I did after the diagnosis was to call my mom to tell give her the news. I told her: ''I told you so''. My mother was sad, but I wasn't really sad... I was just numb. I've been really sick with other diseases in the last two years so... that kinda numbs you.

We ate some comfort food and took a long walk by the Lake. I didn't know what else to do. I also looked up resources on the web and called up an old friend who also has fibromyalgia in order to get some advice and pointers. I spent the most time researching medical marijuana as I had heard good things about it but I was unsure if it was worthy of the hype.

@ Ginger Snaps: Don't beat yourself up! You're other issues didn't cause this. It's a physical problem with our nerves that can be triggered suddenly through trauma to the body or psychological stress. It's not your fault!

I don't know who your comments are directed to, but what you wrote is very harsh:(

Don't worry, jenfitzy. They weren't directed towards you but towards an ********** who has since been banned from the forum. All is well. Have a splendid day. I send good karma your way!

I shouldn't have used that language above. I'm sorry. Let's consider the person to be a "someone" instead of the name that I called him. I know that this forum is not the place for name calling. I did not mean any harm.

would like to hear from someone who is on Cymbalta. My doc suggested this but it has too many side effects. I don't tolerate drugs, if there is a side effect, I will usually have it. I did online research and the side effects listed for Cymbalta covered a full page.

1sweed,
I am presently trying to find a source for medical marijuana. I don't do drugs and cannot tolerate most all drugs that have been prescribed for me but I've read extensively online about the help marijuana can give. I believe God put all things on this earth for a purpose so maybe this is marijuana's purpose. It is not legal in my State so future comments from me on here may be from a jail cell. :) I've recently read several articles (one on the Mayo Clinic website, I believe) saying that oil harvested from the marijuana plant can cure Cancer ! There are two groups that would never want that to be 1) the medical community (this would punch a BIG hole in their revenue) and 2) the thugs that ship and sell it illegally. If I could find seeds, I'd grow my own (here again, I know i'm risking jail). I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired. . . and ready to take things into my own hands. (guess you can tell I'm not having a good day :-(

Shirl,
I am sorry you are in this position of needing help for pain yet unable to find something that may ease your pain or mask it so you can't feel much of anything. I am not against alternative therapies, but I do recommend that people really research to be sure this is the way to go.
Have you tried any of the suggestions from other members on dealing with pain? Have you slowed down and stopped multi-tasking and trying to be the best at everything? Do you relax by watching movies or listening to music or soaking in a warm bath with epson salts. Have you thought about finding and using a cotton fiber bed pad to make sleeping easier?

Often we get so worked up and believing that only one thing can help us, and we lose sight of the important things in life. Please do not get in trouble with the law. Finding this item has already become an addictive pattern of need and you don't even have it yet. This is cause for concern and maybe you might want to look into seeing someone for emotional support. A friend or pastor, or even a good therapist to guide you in a better direction and focus your attention on a better form of treatment. None of us like taking drugs to stop the pain, and I have trouble with being allergic to most of them, but I have stuck with what I have for over 15 years now and hope I can get by on them for life. I use Neurontin and over the counter Excedrin Migraine. These work and take the edge off my pain. The rest is up to me to try and not over-do.

I hope this helps you in some way. :)

It took about 4 months of going to doctor to doctor, so I was definitely relieved to finally have answer. I was worried that I was going to die, so I was happy to get a non terminal diagnosis. It took awhile to get back to any sort of normal life, but through physiotherapy and recognizing my limits, life become manageable.

Shirl, I am day 4 of no cymbalta....there are so many other ways to deal with this pain we all feel Please try something else..you may be great with cymbalta or not it is just very hard to come off. Wds are not fun but that is only my experience. I know of others who take it and do really well..just do lots of research before making a decision one way or another
As for medical marijuana I use it very rarely. Only when I have to and only at night to help me sleep..I don't know if it is a miracle drug or not I know it helps me but it may not even work for ..there are many different strains and you need to know who you are getting it from using one strain might be worse then just using over the counter stuff...I don't know and you won't either till you research and try.

I felt relief from the diagnosis of fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and ibs. I was so fortunate to have a GP who listens to me and is on top of all these things. He got me into the best rheumatologist around here for fibromyalgia. It explained a lot of the last 5 years to me and the chronic fatigue was real and I wasn't lazy as many had me believe. The degenerative disc disease and arthritis I wasn't surprised to find as I have has previous back surgery.

The diabetes (and I guess to a point the diabetic neuropathy) has been extremely hard to accept. I struggle with it every day.

The hardest thing now is that I have been correctly diagnosed with all of this I am not sure what is causing what pain and do I need to rest or see the doctor.

DawnMS,
I would say now that you have your diagnosis, you know what you have, just not sure of which condition is causing the most pain, is the question on your mind. I would say go back to you GP and get his opinion. All the conditions you have can cause different types of pain. The fibro can cause wide spread or localized, and the diabetes can do the same plus give you numbness and tingling sensations. And the disc disease can cause nerve and bone pain and other problems.

You might want to do a web search of the symptoms of each disease and make a list to share with your GP, as you plan what medications might work for you. I hope this helps you decide what to do. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back