Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2012
Country
US
State
FL
Now, I know some of you will look at the subject of this post and laugh bitterly. Exercise! That must be nice. If you are in constant, debilitating pain there is probably not much you can do. So I don't want to make you feel bad.

But for people who are in a little bit better place, who have good days and bad days, I'm curious about what kind of activities you do to enhance your physical fitness, be they big or small.

Myself, I run. Not exactly marathons, but I can usually manage to jog a few blocks. Since my fibro often manifests as headaches and back pain, this may seem crazy. In fact one doctor told me running was a bad, bad idea. But the curious thing is that running doesn't seem to aggravate the pain.

Now obviously if I have a splitting headache I don't go for a run. But if it's a mild one? And my back isn't killing me? I've found a run can be a positive thing. The other thing about running is it's pretty much zero-prep. You don't have to go somewhere, have special equipment or involve other people. You just slap on your shoes and go. I like that.

When I can't run I try and take a walk.

What about you?

I walk or use a stationary bike. I try to do one or the other for at least 15min even if I have to do it slow- every other day. I have noticed it helps with the pain. Now on really bad days I can't. But if I can possibly do it, I do. I live in Canada so outside walking is only for a short time. Or I walk the mall. Again depending on how I feel.

My doc told me to use a recummbant exercise bike. I found a used one for $10. i try to do 15 minutes in the morning and evening. it is not as stressfull on my back. I am really getting depressed over the weight I have gained since starting Lyrica and savella. I retain water even though I take aldactone. I am desperate for ideas to lose this weight. None of my clothes fit :-(

I'm not able to exercise whatsoever. Even cleaning my house pushes me a bit beyond my limits. I wish I had the ability to do more, but it's nice to see that other sufferers are able to do more for themselves than just sitting around like me!

I have to choose whether to do some cleaning or exercise, can't do both in the same day. I use a stationary bike until I heal enough from double ankle surgery to be able to walk on the public lands (BLM) on the other side of my fence. Seems that will be about a year from now though. :( Hey, at least I HAVE ankles!

i was doing weight training before I got really unwell and my diagnosis. For years it worked well for me but then it was too much on top of a physical job.
Now I just do lots of walking. I really enjoy swings as well haha obviously at night when the playground is empty.
I can't run or do any jumping because my jaw and neck is in such a bad state it goes clunk clunk when I hit the ground! Along with my spine :(
I would like to join a gym again even just for the stationary bike and rowing.

Several years ago, I joined Curves. I went 3 times a week; lost 70 pounds and I felt GREAT! (OK, I admit...I also joined Weight Watchers at the same time and started eating better!) It was so hard at first and I almost didn't go back because it hurt so much those first days. However, after talking with my doctor and her telling me that exercise is a key component to helping the flare-ups stay away, I kept going. She was right! During the time I was at Curves I did not have many bad flare-ups. Since I had to stop going to Curves, I've had many, many bad days; not to mention I've gained most of the weight back. It's time to get back to Curves for me!

I would define "fitness" as "the ability to overcome physical obstacles". This encompasses agility, reaction time, strength, flexibility, coordination, cardiovascular endurance, immune system strength etc.

Healthy would be "the state where the body can function with efficiency", and although it would not be particularly about physical exercise and such, it would encompass many similar things: cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, immune system strength and such. So they are so close it is difficult to seperate them.

I find that when I eat healthy, walk, and my protein shake I feel much better. I have always used walking as my exercise and to help destress. I have only been diagnosed in the last week. Just started taking Lyrica. I haven't noticed any weight gain, but I do my shake in the morning for breakfast. It also helps with my energy level and inflammation.

Exercise bike is my best choice, not only that it is convenient and easy to use but it also has proven results. I had my equipment for almost a year and I am impress with the weight I lost. I also notices that I have no more issues with my breathing and can endure on great distance walk.

I go to some warm water exercises at our local YMCA. This helps me a lot. If you can find a program, I would encourage you to go.

Lots of walking. I started out slowly and have built up over time. I think it's important to take baby steps if you haven't done any exercise in a while. Baby yoga and stretching in the mornings. Again, I've built it up slowly otherwise I got really fatigued and sore. It's mostly about perserverence. Even if you just add two steps per day, in a week that's 14 steps or 60 steps in a month. And it grows until you can actually take a short walk. I want to learn tai chi.

I have gained weight on Lyrica as well. I find that all I want to do is eat sweets. I went into this little depression and feel sorry for me moment for a couple of weeks. After talking with my physical therapist, she said I csn do the exercises I was doing before. But, if I know I'm doing Hip Hop Abs that day, don't do anything else and do the modification version. See, I was really into exercise and even became a beachbody Coach. All I wanted to do was encourage people to exercise, eat healthy, and take care if their bodies. When I stopped exercising and gained the weight, I felt like a hypercrite telling people to take care of their bodies, when I wasn't taking care of mine. But, after today, being Thanksgiving, I'm going back to exercising and eating right And I feel that I can share my experience on my Beachbody site. So, don't give up hope. 90% I'd eating healthy and 10% is exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back