Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
01/2006
Country
US
State
NY
I'm new here. I was diagnosed with RA 7 years after I started having symptoms in 2007. I started having relief but then I began to have pain again. My SED rates (inflammation) were perfect so my Rheumatologist started changing my meds. Nothing worked for 2 years.

One day a student working with my doctor (teaching facility) pressed on the fibro trigger points and it was wildly painful. My doctor didn't want to change my meds or try anything new so I changed doctors to someone I could work with better.

This new guy started to explain fibro to me and suggested I have been dealing with fibro flairs and not so much the RA. He said there are only 2 ways to treat fibro: more exercise and better sleep. I take 120mg of Cymbalta and 50mg trazadone. I've tried Lyrica and it worked for a few weeks and then stopped working all together.

I have a 14 month old who still wakes up once a night to eat. My husband and I trade weeks getting up with her but I still only get a few days of 6-hours solid sleep at a time. I can sometimes hear her wake eventhough my husband gets her.

I am pretty tired every day. I have lots of pain everyday. I am forced to take naps about 3 times a week from fatigue. And my memory!! I feel senile! I know this will get better once the baby sleeps through the night again but I don't know when that will be.
I am a shell of my former self.

What has worked for you? Help

I didn't know what was wrong with me when my son was a baby and my husband ran the family company so he worked long hits and NEVER got up with my jaundice, colic never slept baby! I survived do will you, I know it's not much but a little reassurance.
I want to address your Dictors thought of only two ways to treat fibromyalgia, this is not true. Supplements have helped me as much as my gabapentin. Almost all fibro's are low in vitamen D and magnissium, try adding these. Malic acid and aloha lypic have helped me tremendously. There is topical prescription, I've found coconut oil infused with Clive works better for me. Epsom salt baths help detox the muscles. Massages, I can't afford them but many swear by them. One thing I have learned is Dictors are only as smart as the book they speed read through...don't take their word as gold. They are not having to live with this. When doing your research be Leary of overpriced to good to be true testimony cures!
You may not be getting the right kind of sleep, you need REM sleep for your brain to heal (fibro affects muscles and the brain is a muscle) you may want to talk to your pcp about investigating this further. (My regular thyroid test showed fine, but a function Dr. Did a test involving salva and T4...WOW what a huge difference thyroid meds. Made for me).
Please do some research on cymbalta, it is a scary med. to me it's a last resort. 3days in lyrica made me drunk and depressed.
I bought my heating pad an engagement ring! I can't imagine life without it!
I hope some of this helps. There is so much more. But this post is too long already and I don't want to overwhelm you.
Let us know what you try and what works for you. It's a slow process, but soooo worth it every time you find something that helps even just a little. (A bunch of littles add up to a lot)!
Welcome. We're glad your here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back