kmpisces

Distinguished member
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
What makes the pain better for you? I have learned to live with some level of pain. But when I am feeling unwell in other ways (like the flu or whatever) it seems much harder to deal with any pain I am having.

I find I often have more pain or worse pain when I'm ill. My teeth will ache but my dentist never finds anything wrong.

I'm still looking for ways of making it better but there are a few things that help a bit.

Massage
Resting as much as RL allows
Painkillers
Being aware of what makes it worse and avoiding it where possible.
Not being afraid to ask family for help if I'm struggling

I think I will start trying massage. This is not something I have tried yet. I wonder if insurance will ever pay for massage. Does anyone happen to know?

I got used to live with this level of pain... I'm too worried/sad (thinking about my other health issues) most of the time to actually pay attention to my physical pain. I just learnt to live with the pain, since dealing with chronic depression is way too much. I'm on an emotional rollercoaster every single day. I wish pain was my only issue, because dealing with emotional pain is also very bad! The only thing that helps me with all that is my mom and my boyfriend (sometimes) also the fact I work from home is awesome!

It all depends on how much sleep I've had. My lack of sleep leads to a really dreadful and painful day. If I've had a good sleep, then I'm usually in a better mood and can handle the pain. If I can force myself through a yoga session, then that helps too. As well, if I just know my limits and stick to them, then I'm happier and have less pain too.

Weather can really mess me up, but for the most part I just do what I need to despite the level of pain. Like a lot of others here every day is different and I go minute by minute on bad days.

My pain is at its worse when I over do it. Just a few hours shopping and cooking on Friday put my pain level to an intollerable level. I did Yoga poses, took Aleve and soaked in the hot tub. I managed to have a good nights rest and woke up feeleling ok.

Otherwise, I live with a pain level of 3 to 4. I take long acting Tramadol, use stretching and yoga, hot showers or baths.

I found a great massaging heating pad for 20.00 and it helps me quite a bit

I have been reading about the healing properties of dmso, and am now starting to use that more for the pain, as well as taking more MSM and vitamin C every day. This really seems to be helping me with lessening the pain, and making me more mobile. I had used dmso for years, but only when I fell and bruised myself, or got bucked off the horse, or my back went out, things like that. After reading about all the things that dmso can help, I decided to start using it on a regular basis, and I am hoping to really notice the difference before too long.

What has helped me the most is 1/2 hour chair massages and reflexology. Because I am in a bad place right now financially I haven't been able to do either for a long time but the last time I had a chair massage I felt great for a couple of days. I am hoping after Christmas to get a chair massage once or twice a week. I also would like to try yoga as it seems to help many people with this disease.

I have had fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, osteoporosis and RA have read so any books, Internet, checked out most forums and I think the best advise was from a lady posting on a forum and she said ...
Rest when you need to you if your body tells you to go to bed ...go to bed
Pace yourself if you feel good do more but not too much
Grow a thick skin to others opinions of you and your situation
Take pain meds regularly not just when you are in pain
Find things that you can do and enjoy when you are in a flare
You will find your real friends ...stick with them don,t try and convert or justify yourself give information ...you can take a horse to water you cannot make it drink!
Cry if you want laugh at yourself, have a moan if you need a moan
Eat well
I know it is more difficult if you are working, just try and modify the above to your own situation.

Hope this helps somewhat xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back