Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
ga
I'm 57 I've had odd pains off and on for a few years - mostly lower back, hips, etc. I blamed it on getting old or arthritis, but when I began having pain in my collarbones, arms, neck, wrists and hands, in fact nearly everywhere from my hips up, I knew something wasn't right. I also began having trouble sleeping (blamed that being post menopausal). I found my energy level falling off faster than ever before (just getting older, maybe?). The more I read on FM the more I realized all these symptoms weren't just aches and pain of getting old.

So I ws recently diagnosed by my PCP. While she said it's FM, she also said it has to be also diagnosed by a rheumatologist, whom I see on June 29.

I'm finding myself hating this because I can't seem to get my energy back on a consistent basis. Like today. I spent all night last night tossing and turning because no matter which way I'd lay in bed it would hurt. So, this morning I'm a mess and can't go to work. All I want to do is sit and not move. To move hurts.

I was fairly OK up until yesterday. Does anyone else do that? Do the symptoms kind of die down and then get worse at times? What scares me is what if it gets worse and doesn't stop.
I'm not enjoying the things I usually do. I love to garden. I work with a rescue animal group. But the pain comes along and puts a stop to these things.

I have several other physical issues that go along with FM - depression, anxiety, IBS. I've been on Effexor for about 20 years. While I've learned to live with these things, I"m not so sure about the FM. It seems so draining. What is my future going to be?

Hello dd,

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this but you are being listened to! ( so many spend years and lots of $$ before someone diagnosis them). Yes, FM symptoms can come and go. You will have to learn to PACE. You'll eventually begin to think about the drain of energy, etc. as you read and learn, which I strongly advise you to do. You must be a part of your treatment.
There is a good post here about keeping a journal and why/how. This should help you begin to see a pattern to what you eat, do or take, (RX) and how you feel. Also drinking lots of water helps detoxify, vitamin D is usually low in FMers. You should have that checked with a simple blood test as low D can make you hurt more. Magnesium is also typically low, this helps relax muscles and mind plus lots of other stuff. A foam or memory foam mattress topper may help you sleep. Hot baths or showers, heating pads, all can help. Thee are many other tools you can read about here and elsewhere to find the "just right" combo of tricks and tools that help YOU.

Post back and let us know how you are doing.

FM is a usually a chronic problem although I have heard of a few others finding permanent relief( they are not dead yet so don't think that is accurate).

FM does not kill you but you will have to learn to live with it-if you indeed have it.

Ok first off welcome. Now NOONE and I mean no one even well ppl can say what there going to be like in years to come.
And sure there's days I think that way to.some ppl find only rest can help while others like me sadly find any kind of rest makes me as stiff as a broad.
So it's a balancing act.
Get some pain killers from the Dr and at lest get some good sleep. Poor sleep makes pain worse.
Also have your vit D checked and iron if there low u will also feel tired and hurt more.
Most ppl with fibro have low vit D.as above post says read and learn .reading posts from other will tell u more then any book.also it helps so much to have others understand u. This isn't something your going to get to grips with any time soon ,it is a long road.ive had it 14 odd years and I'm still coping day by day.so one step at a time read try different meds and talk to ppl like us who will always be here .xx

wow forget.. you are turning into my right hand gal. you even scared me when you said no one and i mean no one...lol.

you got some good advise above.
i can add dont let it get you down, dont let the pain win and do your research. learn what makes the pain worse and what reduces the pain.

keep trying and make informed decisions.

I've been dealing with this since 1999 and OA and mess from hip replacement. Some days are worse than others...I work with supps for FM and the OA
and ibuprofen and MSM and pain rx herbal supp.

Magnesium, Vit D, thyroid Support and many other supps.

I sleep good, 8-10 hrs nightly and have my sleep combo on the Alternative section. I've worked long and hard to manage and I'm going to be 77 and yes my life has changed but I'm good enough considering. I'd love to be much better, but this is it and I've come to grips with it. I don't think FM will kill me and believe so much in my supplements.

my replies not showing up again Once I post this, my former reply showed up.....go figure.

cemetryme,lol I wasn't being nasty

Try magnesium suplemen and vit d. I try rural chick suggestion. Now i can sleep better. Trust me i am one of the example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back