Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2020
Country
US
State
WA
I've seen Wim Hof's method mentioned a few times on this forum, but no threads specific to it, so I thought I'd start one. I'm currently reading 'The Wim Hof Method' and started taking cool showers (maybe 60-70 degrees F) a few days ago. I figured I'd ease my way into the cold showers. Even if it doesn't help with the fibro, it sounds like there are a lot of other benefits, so I'm excited. Who else has tried this or is trying this? Did it work/is it working? Any advice? Thanks.

Hya Dennis! That's me you probably mean... ;-) After whole body cryotherapy helped me, a friend suggested Wim Hof's breathing and cold showering half a year ago, and I've been doing it since then, because it helps me a lot. I haven't read the book, just his website, delved a bit into his background. I use the breath-holding exercise (youtube guided tutorial, 3 rounds with 30 breaths, up to 90 seconds and more breath-holding), esp. when I'm flaring most. I've looked for similar breathing-exercises, seeing as it's developed from Tibetan sources, but nothing I've found/tried (and I've always done breathing exercises) works as well.
The cold showers do more than refresh, they numb the pain, carry off any inflammatory substances (so sez my rehab-psychiatrist). They even bring me down again when I'm awake and thinking at night, so I can sleep, very surprising to discover that.
You say you're starting with cool ones to get used to them. I'd suggest to increase the length after a warm shower, if it's that hard for you. One minute hot/warm, 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds cold. In any case always start with your legs first, just 2 seconds per leg, 4x. When you've got used to that the same for the arms, then front. Last of all, head and back. I only do it short anyway, under 2 minutes. Usually 30 seconds, then soap where necessary (dry skin, so as little as poss.), then 30 to 60 seconds till I've got the soap off. If I fear my feet are too cold after (Raynaud): warm water on the feet, if I realize that after - hot water bottle. I'd love to hear how you fare with it! (Someone at last .... ;-).)

Last edited:
Hya Dennis! That's me you probably mean... ;-) After whole body cryotherapy helped me, a friend suggested Wim Hof's breathing and cold showering half a year ago, and I've been doing it since then, because it helps me a lot. I haven't read the book, just his website, delved a bit into his background. I use the breath-holding exercise (youtube guided tutorial, 3 rounds with 30 breaths, up to 90 seconds and more breath-holding), esp. when I'm flaring most. I've looked for similar breathing-exercises, seeing as it's developed from Tibetan sources, but nothing I've found/tried (and I've always done breathing exercises) works as well.
The cold showers do more than refresh, they numb the pain, carry off any inflammatory substances (so sez my rehab-psychiatrist). They even bring me down again when I'm awake and thinking at night, so I can sleep, very surprising to discover that.
You say you're starting with cool ones to get used to them. I'd suggest to increase the length after a warm shower, if it's that hard for you. One minute hot/warm, 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds cold. In any case always start with your legs first, just 2 seconds per leg, 4x. When you've got used to that the same for the arms, then front. Last of all, head and back. I only do it short anyway, under 2 minutes. Usually 30 seconds, then soap where necessary (dry skin, so as little as poss.), then 30 to 60 seconds till I've got the soap off. If I fear my feet are too cold after (Raynaud): warm water on the feet, if I realize that after - hot water bottle. I'd love to hear how you fare with it! (Someone at last .... ;-).)
I'm liking the cold showers so far, and I think they're helping with my lower back pain. My method is pretty similar to what you described. I think my estimate of the water temperature was off because I used to take scalding hot temperatures. It probably started off closer to 80 degrees F and gradually decreased it. After I get my washing done, I turn it all the way to cold and stay in as long as I can. I'll have to start timing it.

I'm going to try the breathing this weekend.

There's a good Vice documentary about the method on YouTube.

timing it
When I feel it will do me good, but don't want to do it too long, I count or sing 4 beats to a bar, one bar per limb etc. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back