Wondering if my symptoms could be fibromyalgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

timerich

Hi, new to this forum. I've had several blood tests now an MRI and I'm waiting for an appointment to see a neurologist. So, I've suffered from IBS for 30 years, despite trying several diets, etc. I restrict bread and cakes, pies etc. But frequently have episodes for no apparent reason. I've found it difficult to sleep for about two years. For the last 12 months I've just been exhausted, I can't describe how tired I feel just wanting to sleep, when I'm like this even the idea of showering and dressing exhausts me. Then I have good days, I get up and feel I can tackle the world, which usually only lasts about 24hrs.
I've now employed a dog walker (walking was an activity I enjoyed) as I've fallen or stumbled on several occasions.it just feels like my left leg gives way. I also have aches and pains, my ankles, wrists, spine and underneath my feet. I try and get things done first thing in the day, as I don't think straight past midday. Recently I've been having hot flushes in the evening and nighttime, at 67 I know it's not menopause. My doctor linked symptoms to grief as my husband died 2 years ago, hence the blood tests.
I'd just like to know if this is old age catching up with me or something else.

Hi timerich, and welcome to the forum.

From what you describe, there are a number of different things that could be causing your symptoms, and fibromyalgia is one of them, but at this point you cannot be sure if it is fibromyalgia or not. It is very important that you be tested for all of the other things that could cause your symptoms, individually and together, because you need to find out if it is something specific for which there is a specific treatment. for instance, the IBS is separate from fibro, and has its own treatment. Once you have had all of the necessary tests, you will come closer to finding out if it is fibro or not.

One thing I will mention, though, aside from fibromyalgia. I very strongly recommend that you try going entirely gluten-free to see if that eases or even cures your G-I and bowel problems. Simply cutting down on baked goods won't help - you have to go 100% gluten free. I had chronic issues, all of my life that were about 85% eliminated by simply removing all gluten from my diet, and I started seeing results in less than a month. You have to do it completely, read labels, ad not eat anything that has any gluten in it. (Really, read labels because gluten and wheat are in more things than you would think, even things that don't seem as though they would). Do this faithfully for a full month, and see if you get some relief. It may not, of course, be your issue, but if it is that would be marvelous because all you'd have to do is eat gluten free to be healthier. And that is easier and easier to do without forgoing things you like to eat because gluten free options and cookbooks and online recipes are common now.

Best of luck with whatever you find out.

Hello there timerich!

You can get an impression how likely it is and how "much" and severe fibromyalgia you might have by looking at the ACR 2016 criteria on the web or attached. These are to help patients get a quicker diagnosis, but your impression should still be verified by experienced clinicians and as they say: It can be something else at the same time as fibromyalgia, so they should also carry on testing for these other things.

Attachments

• 2016FMS.pdf
    84.6 KB · Views: 78
Hi @timerich, you have already been given some great advice, so I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and wish you the very best of luck with all you do. It's not easy going through all the testing when you feel so awful, I felt despair over the years leading to a fibro diagnosis, and I know I am not alone in that. From what you have said, it sounds as if you have been so much with your grief and health issues, but please remember, you are on the right path of self care with the testing, as finding or ruling out health conditions will tell you more about what you are or are not dealing with and how you can help yourself. I think it's important you have good people around you for support, which hopefully you do. But in either case, this site is also great for support or even a chat if you want one!
I wish you the very best.

Thanks, will continue, seeing my GP a week on Tuesday. I woke today with a blinding headache, this is becoming quite frequent and it doesn't respond to paracetamol straight away. Again I'm thinking food, but steering clear of gluten.

Yes, headaches can be awful and really annoying, I get them on and off now but they used to be quite regular.
Good luck at the docs and congrats on being gluten free!

Please check to see that you are well hydrated. Dehydration causes havoc in our bodies (been there). If your blood sugar is too high or low that can cause headaches. I have low blood sugar (legitimately). If anyone has the resources, get an otc blood glucose meter & strips from like walmart & learn how to use it. Poor blood sugar control can cause a bunch of symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back