Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
GA
Y’all I have an issue. My feeling are hurt. I have a lot of pain in my hands especially, plus my elbows and shoulders. I sometimes make what probably look like erratic movements when I’m trying to stretch/relieve the pressure.

Well, today I found out a customer complained. They interpreted it as me being agitated with them and actually told my manager they don’t want me to help them anymore. I’m heartbroken. Not only the fact that I’ve apparently helping this person for three years, and they complained about something I can’t help, but also, I feel like I let my customer and my team down.

I’ve been in tears since I left work. I wasn’t written up or anything, but I worry my health issues will end up costing me my job. I really need this job because I have to have health insurance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If only people would realize that other people may have a disability they can’t see. 😞😥😞

Thanks,

Ashley

Hi Ashely,

I'll so sorry you've gone through this. That you're feeling it so much is testament to what a caring person you are. Don't forget that!

I think one of the biggest challenges with fibro for many of us is learning how to let go - to not burden ourselves with a sense of responsibility for the things that are out of our control. I know that's been one of the hardest things for me, but your customer's misunderstanding of what was before them wasn't your fault, and in a way not really theirs either - they didn't know better, and if they had, I'm sure they wouldn't judge you.

It's great that your boss hasn't written you up - it would be an injustice if they had. I wonder if there's any way that you could allow your condition to be visible at work? Perhaps by wearing an awareness pin, you could have a prop that you could point to if you feel like it might help your server-client dynamic. Often, if we just say "don't mind me, I have a condition that effects how I move!" people realise they can relax. Most people read other's behaviours as being about them as they move thorough life, not realising that it's usually reflective of that person's inner experience far more - the same is usually true of customers! Also remember that the long-standing client who suddenly surprises you might also be going through something heavy that is warping their judgement - we just cannot know.

Whatever happens next, please don't be hard on yourself. That one person's absence might make space for another's presence that's important. Keep your confidence and believe in what you bring to your team, because someone who cares so much has earned the right to be proud! I hope you're appreciated by the ones who count, and feel better soon 🌻

Jemima is so right in her response above. I could not have said it better.

If you can say something to a customer or co-worker that is light-hearted and with a smile, a very quick explanation as Jemima suggests, it will diffuse any discomfort or negative reaction in the vast majority of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back