Not open for further replies.

akajbart

Diagnosis
02/2013
Country
US
State
ID
It's so hard some days to get up in the morning, let alone work a full time job. Even though I work for a medical office, they're not very understanding when it comes to things like fibromyalgia.

Is anyone on disability for something like this?

My job is very sedentary, and sometimes my aches and pains come in the middle or close to the end of my workday. I'm exhausted by the time I go home. Some days I have nothing else to give towards my family after I get home.

The only full time jobs that I had were supervisory one's that allowed me to work hours at my own leisure. Without this option, it just wouldn't be possible. I could go in at 9am or 11am or even later and just work my full shift. This was so great, because if I didn't get a good night's sleep, I could sleep in the morning and then be able to function the rest of the day.

As well, if I needed the odd 'stress' day off, there was never any issue. They valued the work that I did and this allowed me to work at my own pace.

It is possible, but it's not easy to find these opportunities.

I haven't had a full time job outside the home since 2009. Even though I'm in a lot better health now, I don't know that I could ever work in the same way I did. I would need a lot of flexibility, and many full time jobs don't offer that.

I can't believe a medical office would have such little compassion for this, but I'm not surprised. When I was first sick, I was a Pharmacy Technician, and they had no sympathy either. People are just..people. I hope things get better for you. I don't know how you're doing it. You must be a very strong person.

akajbart, I work a full-time job as a paralegal. It has not been easy. I was just diagnosed last week, but have been suffering for about 2 years. The last three weeks I have had what may be a "flare", not sure how flare's work or how long they last, but I started considering cutting back on my work hours. I had a talk with my employer just yesterday and they are very supportive.

Before going to them I have been doing some extensive research and yes, you can get disability for Fibro. It isn't easy, no disability claim is easy. They always deny you then you have to appeal and appeal and it can take years. I learned that you have to start with a good medical record, and by "good" I mean terrible. You have to show a really strong history of the illness and how it has affected you.

For example, my employer is very sympathetic and said I don't need a doctor's note to cut back my hours, but I am going to have my doctor write one anyway for my medical file just in case I need to show later on that I have struggled. I don't want to have to go on disability, but the way this illness seems to be going, in the future, I may not have a choice.

I am not an attorney, nor have I consulted an attorney (yet) so I am not trying to give you any legal advice, just sharing with you what I learned from researching the issue myself. One of the issues with applying for disability is that you have to be not working because of the illness. Since not everyone can afford to just quit their job, please consult with an attorney that specialized in social security disability claims before making any decision. That's my disclaimer.... lol.

I share your agony and anxiety. Hang in there. As I learn more or experience more I will post!

Any full time job one does especially standing or moving up and down is a definite course of more pain in the evening. I don't have a day time job, I online work online when I feel like it or not in much pain. Its sad that you work with people who should be understanding your predicament because its an health institution yet they don't.

I work full-time - have no choice since I live by myself. Many days I wonder if I will be able to keep working. I'm scared that my brain fog will cause me to make mistakes. Sometimes I can hardly think and I know it's noticeable to coworkers. I'm upfront with what's going on with my health but until you have it you don't really understand how hard it is and what it feels like. One of my coworkers, when I was talking to someone else about fibro, called it the "fake disease". I try to ignore comments like that but it hurts to know some of them feel that way.

It's so hard some days to get up in the morning, let alone work a full time job. Even though I work for a medical office, they're not very understanding when it comes to things like fibromyalgia.

Is anyone on disability for something like this?

My job is very sedentary, and sometimes my aches and pains come in the middle or close to the end of my workday. I'm exhausted by the time I go home. Some days I have nothing else to give towards my family after I get home.

Have you tried finding a job online? Sometimes you can find some really good oportunities online, but you have to dedicate a lot time to the searching process. Sometimes you have work a bit more than you used to work before in order to earn the same amount of cash you used to earn with a physical job or even less... but at least you can set your own schedule.

Yes it can be hard to work full-time or even part-time with FMS. It is possible to receive disability. I advice people to have a lawyer to assist them if applying. Make sure you have really good medical records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back