Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2012
Country
US
State
NY
I don't know how much longer I can keep dragging myself to work. Most days are unbearable but I try to muddle through. Does anyone else have this type of problem?

I have. Work for him is an absolute no, and for good reason.

My Dad has Fibromyalgia, along with a slipped disk in his back, and he does not work. Infact, he hasn't worked for coming up to 6 years. His back is in spasm every day, his sleeping patterns are all over the place- his life is a living hell most of the time.

Don't get me wrong, we have tried to look for work, however as we got to the Job Centre and the man there saw my dad couldn't even take his coat off on his own, is was an obvious answer to the question, "Do you think you'd be able to work?"

We have also tried looking over working at home, however the same problem still arises, and that is sleeping. I don't remember the last whole week he has slept the same times as I have. Work for him is an absolute no, and for good reason.

I feel like a failure, but I seem to have no control over how I feel or the pervasive fatigue. It just stinks.

I feel like a failure, but I seem to have no control over how I feel or the pervasive fatigue. It just stinks.

Don't, you can't control your health but that is not a failure on your part.
You can learn how to live with it at best and that is a success.

Sharon, I hear you! Every day at work is torture. Not only is there the fatigue and pain, but also the effort of hiding any sign of illness because it's a risky job market out there and I can't afford to lose my job. I'm a single parent, so it's all up to me to keep the roof over our heads and food on our table. I simply cannot make it through another day, but I have to, so I do. I don't let myself think about the long term. That would overwhelm me with despair. I only look at each moment and get through life one moment at a time. Tomorrow I'll do the same.

You summed it up perfectly, Corvid.

When I was still working I ended up dragging myself through each day. I did housecleaning and my legs were like dead weights and it hurt to use my arms and they grew fatigued quickly when I had to raise them above my head. I dropped things constantly and finally had to do only floors for folks until even pushing a mop or lightweight sweeper became to much. Fatigue ruled my life and ended my ability to work and even think due to fibro brain fog.

I loved the work I did then and now I just do a bit of writing online and surveys. Not at all the life I had dreamed of having. :)

Hello,

I also suffer from fibromyalgia. In the past I have NOT worked and over the past 3 years I have worked full time. I do find that when I am working and moving around, and being around other people my suffering is a lot less. That does not mean I do not have the symptoms anymore. My symptoms come on quickly and I get severely tired and I have pain in my arms and legs and on my skin that feels like arthritis. I can wake up to what feels like elastic bands on my limbs and then the next day I wake up and it's totally gone.

I usually will take some kind of over the counter pain killer until the pain subsides etc. I think if everyone could at least work part time it would help one manage their condition...but I think some people may have it so severe that they are completely unable to manage daily activities. I do find that walking and movement help a lot.

I was thinking about this same thing today. I am currently working FT but fibro is affecting my job more and more and getting out of bed in the morning... somedays is almost impossible. I am a single parent though so i don't feel like I even have a choice in the matter. What kind of life can I live on disability? If i even get it anytime soon?

Yeah it's tough because without work you have to depending on others so much to provide. I have been working pt stocking shelves, and even though it's a dramatic step down from my previous job (landscaping), some days it's still too much. I am 25 and still live at home. Really not where I thought I'd be at this point in life, but like Lizardking said you shouldn't feel guilty about what you can't control. All you can do is do your best to keep a positive attitude and keep trying things that may bring relief. I do feel like for me, not having something to do (work or other activities) leads me doing nothing at all, which leads to worse depression and pain symptoms. I think some movement and fresh air is almost always a good thing.

This is why I like agency working. The hours are flexible and while the pay is not as good as a full-time job. The chronic fatigue means I need to be flexible with what time I am working. Unfortunately it's not practical for everyone, but I would seriously advise anyone with CF to consider it.

I don't work. I haven't since 2010. I go through periods where I get so bored and think a job would help break the monotony. Then something happens (like I'm left taking care of 4 dogs) and I realize I'm an idiot for thinking I could handle a job. I can't even keep my house clean. My friend, here in Mexico, doesn't like to drive, so I'm her chauffeur. She buys lunch and a Starbucks coffee, so it works out pretty good. Last Tuesday and Wednesday we were running around non stop. It took the rest of the week and weekend to fully recover. It sucks that 2 days can cause so much strife but it helps me remember I am doing better because I'm not working.

Then something happens (like I'm left taking care of 4 dogs) and I realize I'm an idiot for thinking I could handle a job. I can't even keep my house clean.

Lmao, yeah, I resemble that remark.
Sounds like typical FM.
Today you feel like you can do anything but when you try you find out you can't.
Keep in mind most of us are the same way.
I can say from experience that cancer sucks but FM is worse in a lot of ways.
Cancer can kill you but FM can make your miserable the rest of your life!
Still beats the alternative.....

Hi. For the past ten years I have done an extremely physical job that required many long hours working on my feet. Last season broke me. I finally had to accept that my body simply would not tolerate extremely physical work. I now do a little freelance writing, and have a part time job that is not many hours and is not too physical. I am working with the vocational rehab program in my state which helps people with disabilities gain employment. Sometimes they help a disabled person become re-trained to do a different field of work. I am struggling with keeping up with day-to-day activities, including caring for my 4 year old son. It is never easy, but I continue to fight, because I don't want to give up. Someday, I'll be able to live a life more suited to my illness, but for now, I have to push myself beyond what is comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back