Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

JukeGen

Hey, not sure if this is the correct place to post this...
I have fibro and ME/CFS...last year I left my job (I became a very hostile environment which was making me more ill) to go back to college to study administration in the hope that I would be able to get an Office job which I thought might be less stressful etc. I caught an infection in October which led to me having to withdraw from college because I was so ill and in November the doctor told me I had to basically have bed rest, try and keep stress to a minimum, no exercise, no learning etc until mid to late January to try and let my body and mind recover. I have tried my best and I could feel it making a difference but I'm a bit wobbly again now after catching a cold. I really don't know where to go from here regarding work. Every winter I seem to get so sick I am out of action for months at a time. Last winter it was 6 months...I was wondering if anyone else has similar experiences and what they do for work? What sort of jobs fit around these illnesses? Stress is a major factor in my fibro flares and apparently winter is a major factor in my ME/CFS flares because there are so many bugs going around. Technically I shouldn't be worrying about this just yet but I need to have some idea of what to do with my life going forward...I'm only 28 so not working doesn't feel like an option and I am still waiting to hear if I will receive PIP or not (UK disability payment) which with the way things are in the system seems pretty unlikely. I currently receive ESA but I'm waiting to hear if I will get the higher rate or not which again is very uncertain...I need a stable income, especially for my self esteem and peace of mind but I have no idea what to do when I can't seem to hold down a job or complete a college course because I spend a good few months too sick to do anything every year 🤦‍♀️

hello JukeGen, and welcome to the forum. How long ago were you officially diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue?
All of us here can relate to what you are saying about needing to get something done, really needing to....and not being able to, or not being able to finish it because of how our bodies are working or not working, or pain, or fatigue. We are all here to support one another, and are here for you.

We all do different things in terms of work. some people here cannot work; some are on some form of disability, others are supported by spouses or family, and others are scrambling to get by. some people do work, and for some that means work from home, for others it is a job that they can manage or that they simply have to do because there is no choice. We are all different.

I had my own business and continued to work, even though the work was very challenging both mentally and physically, for many years. I stopped working finally.

I think the main thing about what sort of job works for people with FM/CFS is not what the job actually is, but more who you work for and what that atmosphere is like.

Working for yourself is ideal in one way because you can arrange to not work on a day when it is impossible, without fear of getting fired or disciplined, but it has its own challenges as well, such as no benefits.
Mostly, if you work for someone else, you need a boss who can understand your situation and is willing to work with you on that. Maybe a job that you go in to work when you can, but can actually do from home when you are not able to go in to the office or plant. And the people you work with are a big part of this as well. As you know, any work environment that is toxic to you is not acceptable. It is hard to find co-workers who will understand.

I wonder if there is any service where you live that helps people with disabilities find jobs. Here, for instance, Goodwill Industries helps people with various impediments find jobs. whether or not any one agency would consider you a candidate for this, I do not know. But if you found a job through such a placement service, it might be more likely to be one where there is a supportive atmosphere.

Others here will have ideas for you as well. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back