Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
AU
State
NSW
I have a question of those of you who have FM. does anyone have problems lifting things. I find that lifting a carton of milk or something with even a small amount of weight in it feels like I am lifting a ton of weight. Also dropping things because I can't seem to hang on to it propery. If this a FM symptom?

Hiya. My wrists are much weaker than they used to be & my grip a lot weaker too. Picking things up, opening jars etc is a nightmare

Yep.sure is.lots of us drop cups of tea ,coffee ,milk,shopping.shampoo .one of the ppl on here I can't remember who.you can buy braces and gloves that surport your hands.

Hi Birgit,

I have noticed with the cold weather here in NY, my hands and wrist are aching constantly.
They never were this bad, but now my wrists hurt if I lift Milk or something heavy like u.
My fingers ache too.

I injured my right wrist a long time ago, but both hurt.I guess it's just another body part that Fibromyalgia has grabbed a hold of.

Hopefully the warmer weather will help.

Sagey

I also have trouble lifting things with my wrist, so I have taught myself to lift things with my whole arm. Or use both hands and arms if I can. I use my whole arm, engaging my biceps, so I don't leave the job to just one part of my body. Even if the 'job' is just lifting a cup of tea.

This goes for all kinds of lifting by the way. Try to engage your whole body, keep the weight (item/bag you are carrying) close to your body to distribute the chore.

A wrist bandage might help as well, as well as regular heat pads.

All good advice...i also engage by whole arm and keep things close to my body as possible when lifting....i also use electric can opener and jar opener and if i have a tricky medicine bottle or similar when its new i ask someone to do the first hard unscrewing job and leave it looser for myself.

I also drop things because my hands and wrists hurt...and had funny disaster with a mug of hot chocolate the other day..dropped the mug, hot chocolate all over the electic kettle base ruining the kettle, all over the kitchen work top under the dishwasher..floor swimming....i was having a bad day and this just about topped me off...so silly as when i was healthy i wouldn't care about such minor things!

Never mind my partner went out and bought a new kettle and the lid is much easier to open and close than the one i damaged..so long term a positive outcome! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back