Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
OH
Okay, so I've been doing yoga for a few weeks and here are some things I have learned.

Hot yoga has a far greater effect than normal temperature yoga and I do both. However, I do light heat yoga.

DO NOT DO BIKRAM. Unless you want to train up to it. It is usually 100 degrees and many people say you need to be pretty fit already to do it. It is very hot and very demanding.

I do light heat (75-80 degrees) and manage alright. I listen to my body and take rests when needed and don't push myself too hard. Keep in mind I am fairly young and my symptoms aren't as severe as I've seen on here (yet).

I tried a 90 degree beginning class and I had a rough time. It's something I plan on working up to.

So if you do choose yoga and can find somewhere with light heat I would recommend, first checking with your doctor, and then getting used to normal temperature classes first and then further exploring what you can and cannot do. I used to do yoga regularly for years so I was already acquainted with the poses, flows, breathing, and physical effort.

I think yoga is a great therapy, especially with some heat, but please practice safely!

Thanks lyrin.

My Dr suggested trying hot yoga but I don't handle heat well and dismissed it but it's good to hear about these other versions. Very useful information if I'm ever well enough again.

I do basic yoga at home now when I get the urge but years ago attended classes in Iyenga yoga which I just loved and the very precise training gave me confidence. These days I've become a lot stiffer in my arthritic joints so it just hurts....but I might warm a room and try to do a little. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back