Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
va
I was just wondering are there any people on here that stretch on a daily basics? If so, does it have an immediate impact on helping relieve the pain caused by fibromyalgia?

My father is a huge health buff and he's into yoga and taking lots of vitamins and minerals to help get through the aches and pain that he constantly deals with. Although he doesn't have fibromyalgia, he's 61 years old and he is in better shape than some 30 year old men.

So I was wondering, should I start stretching or doing yoga to help deal with the pain?

I know of several people on the forum that have been doing yoga and they say that it helps them. If you are concerned about the ability to do it maybe you could get some instruction from your father. Another exercise is swimming or doing water exercises. They are both good exercise and if you could do it in a heated pool, it would feel good and gentle on your muscles and yet be very relaxing as well.

Other members will be answering your post to share their experiences and give advice. :)

Cardio is what helps me the most. I know it sounds impossible to work your muscles like that when you're in pain, but the more you use your muscles, the less you'll feel the pain. I think it is mostly due to the fact that cardio opens up great circulation in muscles. My CFS makes it really hard to want to work out, but I'll do what I have to. Sometimes I drink a small cup of coffee an hour before working out. I personally use Xbox Fitness on my Xbox One. It's got a wide selection of workouts, ranging from 10 minutes to an hour. I tend to stick to the 10 minute ones that are low impact. They just added two yoga ones I want to try. I also love to swim, and I have a YMCA membership for the warm pool. Swimming wears me out A LOT, so I'm careful. It's very hard to know when I'm overdoing it, and there have been several occasions where I was a complete zombie the next day because I used way too much energy. I do no more than 5 laps, and I try to make them different strokes.

Stretching is good for you anyway, but I've found getting my heart rate up is most helpful. (My doctor actually said I have to do 45 minutes of cardio a day - ha! That's not even possible. I can do 10-15 minutes a day, and then I make sure I do a few chores that keep me moving.)

I do yoga every morning and it seems to be one of the best things I have started to do to help my pain. I combine this with meditation and it can be the best medicine. The stretching seems to relax my muscles and keep me awake throughout the day.

I find that stretching and gentle exercise are two things that really help with all of the aches and pains that you have to deal with. I can't say that it is something that will cure all of your pains, but it certainly won't hurt anything either.

If you can do it... then why not? If I could still work out or do yoga I would surely go for it! It won't do you any harm to have ah healthier life and add some physical activity, you are really lucky if you can pursue this, so why not?! I crave physical activity, if I was you I'd really go for it without thinking it twice. I'm sure it will help you out a lot, plus it will surely boost your mood :) That alone can do wonders for your health, believe it or not!

Before a workout, I extend the body parts that I am exercising. Like for upper body, We take each arm individually and stretch it throughout my body, and then pull this behind my head too, and arm circles. After that for lower body I actually do quad stretches, etc. Then for just about any workout, I always do some running in place to get my heart price up and some jumping jacks. Additionally stretch out your back by twisting over and touching your own toes, etc. The biggest component is just warming up your body, not necessarily necessarily stretching out your muscles.

With regard to stretching after a workout that's more for lowering your pulse rate steadily and not just stopping totally. So it's more slow extends. and stretching out the body components just used. I mostly perform the bending over thing once again with my legs broad and sway my torso back in forth with my personal arms dangling.

Links Not Allowed]

Hope this help you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes stretching is supposed to help. Also regular body exercises are meant to relieve the pain and keep the body fit.
These are some alternate medicines:
S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe)
Magnesium
Vitamin D
5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP)

I feel the intake will help in preventing the condition and making it manageable.

Regular stretching and exercise would definitely help to maintain a person's body who has a Fibromyalgia. It would help also help to alleviate pain. I think it would also help to battle fatigue. Keep in mind that persons with this diseases should exercise and stretch with the recommendation of a doctor so as not to worsen the situation.

Before and after working out, yea it really helps me.

foodietr wrote, "Magnesium Vitamin D 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP)" and exercise has been known to help. Magnesium also should be combined with the potassium rich fruits in your diet to get rid of the excess salt. Don't forget about the massage therapy, also.

Yes stretching does help, it might seem to simple to help but it does help, first of all stretching will help get rid of stress, it also gets rid of stiffness and certain pains in the joints, so strecthing does help.

I think so! At least yoga really helps me, and that is basically stretching. It helps with the pain a lot. In my back, joints, muscles. I wish I had the energy to do it more.

Stretching really helps me I just forget to do it. Yoga is really good for keeping your body free moving. If you have the energy then you should do it.

Stretching really does help me. The best thing that we can do is to stretch in my opinion. Some people may say otherwise but, this is just my personal opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back