Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2015
Country
US
State
ID
Hello, I am very new to fibromyalgia. I was just diagnosed in late January. I'm still having frequent doctor appointments. I was wondering what everyone is prescribed? So far I am only on cymbalta. Which does not do much for my pain. I go back March 18th to talk more about medications. I'm just curious what I might be taking in the future. What are you all prescribed?

Hey Btoppe, welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry you have developed fibro. I am currently on Cymbalta and an anti-inflammatory. I use hydrocodone when the pain gets unbearable, which lately has been a lot. You will find here a wide array of meds. Some I have never heard of. Your physician will likely prescribe for you what he/she believes will work best in your situation. Everyone is different with this illness. I've tried Lyraca. That worked pretty good. What you'll find is that likely NOTHING completely removes the symptoms of fibro. I should clarify.....I have not found personally anything that completely removes the symptoms of fibro. There are things non-medically that help, like warm bathes at night with Epsom salt and baking soda as an example. Yoga is supposed to help fibro symptoms, but I have such severe fatigue, I haven't gotten to a point where I can exercise. If you can, I would highly suggest you continue, religiously.

Some people refuse to take any medication. I'm personally getting to that point. I'm not sure Cymbalta is doing anything for me anymore. I think Lyraca may have actually worked better. For me, nothing is better than not feeling like the medication is working. I have found that because I have arthritis, I tried to go off my Piroxicam (anti-inflammatory) and can't. I can hardly move when I go off of it. So that will likely be a forever drug (or something similar). I'm curious whether if I go off my Cymbalta, my pain will increase or change at all. I have a sleep study coming up because I have severe insomnia. I've decided to wait until I have that all researched and resolved before I change anything.

I hope you have improved days ahead. Fibro is manageable. Just remember to roll with the bad days, don't feel guilty for what you can't do and enjoy the good days.....Gentle hugs...

Thank you terbaer for your advice and information. I am worried about what I will be prescribed for pain management. My pain is pretty severe especially in my joints such as my knees and hips. I want my pain to subside, but I'm a bit hesitant about being on Opioids. My doctor suggested yoga and light exercise, but at this point in time I am in way to much pain. It really does saddens me because I used to be a runner. My pain started to escalate when I had less time to work out and now my pain has gotten to bad for me to try. I also work at a physically demanding job. So that is where I do most of my exercise and I am in to much pain to do anything after. When were you prescribed hydrocodone? After the first few doctor visits or as a last resort later on? Is there any other pain medicine other than opioids? All I have read about is people taking Oxycodone.

Do you mind if I ask what State your from?

Don't mind at all. I'm from Indiana.

welcome to our family.

you doctor will probably ad lyrica or another FM med. he may also have you try gabapintin and Tramadol.
If he is sending you to PM that means he thinks you need meds like morphine for the pain. your PCP cant
prescribe you that under his licence. i get 60 mg a day of morphine and 2400 mg a day of gralise. its a time release gabapintin.
i have muscle relaxers and lastly i have fentynal in a spray under the tongue. she is increasing my morphine next month. she is slowly
increasing it to 200mg a day. if that does not work her plan is to start oxycotton.

you are in control of your treatment not the doctors. you can take what they think will help or not. its up to you. make she you and the doctor have a treatment plan and follow it. get what helps you make it through the day. check for natural herbs if you like. i did find a Dr Clark on the web. she has a very interesting natural treatment plan. im ording the herbs and changing my diet to try her treatment.

good luck, try to stay calm and know we here care and will help you through this.

Hearing about all this medicine some have to take is crazy. My mom is pharmacy tech. So I've barely taken medicine besides Tylenol and cold medicines. My mom has always been cautious of what to give me. I'm only 20 so I've only been prescribed hydrocodone 2 times. For my wisdom teeth and I almost cut off my toe. Oddly enough I barely felt pain when I cut my toe. I used to be a highly active person I ran cross country and track. I lifted weights and did cross fit with my dad. But I've had a persistent pain in my knees, hips, ankles, lower back, shoulders, and feet. I never knew why. All my other muscles felt fine for the most part. Then I moved out on my own working and going to college. So exercise was rare. That's when my pain started to escalate. The less I worked out the more pain I was in, but the pain stopped me from trying to work out. Then I went through a depression because I had gained a lot of weight and other things. Luckily I've came out of that. I've bad things about tramadol. I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to medicine, but I need a relief so bad. I don't know how much longer I can deal with the pain. I'm hoping if I were put on hydrocodone it would be a low mg.
I'm sorry to hear the struggle you have with subsiding your pain cmetryme. Hopefully your next endeavor will help! I'm really thankful for this forum. You guys have helped me out a lot.

Personally , I take 30/500 Zapain for the pain, and rub in pain gell directly into the skin, others drugs I take all help with one symptom or another, it's best to ask your doctore to treat each symptom, rather than Fibro/ME as one thing, because it's not, it's a collection of different conditions rolled into one... I don't let the doctors experiment on me any more, the drugs are worse than the condition!
Nothing I ever take kills the pain completely... although gental work outs do wonders to releave pain, I stop working out for a bit due to a really bad time, and I have now got stuck, almost bed ridden where everything has got so stiff and painful... :0( having had this condition for over thirty years, it's not easy to live with, but not impossible.

PJsleepy, I am in the same kind of funk. Too much pain to work out. I go to the doctor again in a couple weeks. Not sure exactly what we will be talking about this time. I sure more medicine since she wants to talk more on pain management. I nervous about all the medicine, but I am so ready to feel better. Even if it is a small amount. I have been having a painful past few days. I thought about trying to go to the doctor sooner. Wonder why my doctor wants to wait to talk about my pain. Anyway thanks for the encouragement! hope you get out of your bad funk.

There are a number of medications that are not opioids that you can try first that pain management may also look at for you. Not all pain management is about heavy duty meds. In addition to the ones mentioned earlier in this string, there are other antidepressants, muscle relaxers, and NSAIDS. There is also graded exercise, biofeedback, cognitive behavioral therapy. Unfortunately, finding the combination of things that will work for you may take some time. It is also very important to manage your stress and exertion. Overdoing can send your body into a cascade of pain and fatigue that only rest and time will bring back to "normal." I am sure that your physically demanding job in an unheated warehouse doesn't help the pain. Hugs and best wishes.

btolppe, first hydrocodone is for cuts. that why you got it before. external pain. you have internal pain.(ask your mom)
get ready for your next appointment.write down what pains you are having, what pain level you are having through out the day.
what triggers your pain. and how you are coping with it. Pain mgt can do more than just give you meds. they can give you a shot that will deaden/ numb
the nerves. the will give you water therapy. try meditation. try hypnosis. ask about natural treatment.

remember you are in control of your treatment. you decide if you take the meds. the doctor is sending you to Pm cause he thinks/guessing that it will help you. its up to you to try and see what helps and what doesnt. you can do this. worry causes stress, stress causes pain.
let us know how is goes at the doc.

Cmetryme, I'm sorry, but hydrocodone is not just for cuts.

Btoppe, you asked when I began being prescribed hydrocodone? Well, I also used to have really bad cramps each month. They were so bad, I would pass out. I already had significant pain, but hadn't been diagnosed with fibro yet. My gynecologist prescribed hydro for my stomach cramps and when I started taking them, I was amazed that my other all over pain went away! And I felt like doing some things around the house. I actually had energy! I reported this to my physician and he willingly prescribed them each month. He also tried oxycodone once and tramadol once. Neither did anything for me. Remember though, everyone is different and responds to medication different. What works for one may or may not work for another. Good luck! Keep us posted on how you're doing and what you end up being given as a pain management plan.

Thank you all for the information and support! I appreciate it! Hopefully my next appointment is a good one.

I take tramadol and paracetamol every day. And amitripoline at night to help me sleep. Tramadol is a very good pill for fibro.pills scare the crap outta me but I'd not get through a day with out it.
I've learned that there ppl out there on a lot more then me, and I take it because I have to not because I want to.a life in pain is no life . If it a shorter life with pain pills so be it, it's not like we're all on class A drugs .xx

That is very true Forgetmenot. I'm open to it as long as it helps. Just nervous about the side effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back