Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
My mother was diagnosed many years ago with fibromyalgia. I have often wondered if I may have it, too. I've looked at symptoms and seem to have most.

Here are some things I am experiencing:

Tired daily - many times throughout the day I will feel like I need to sleep even when I think I've had a good night's sleep

Anxiety - I am a very anxious person but I feel most days I'm uptight and anxious about something

Headaches - I have always been prone to headaches and migraines. I usually always wake up with a headache.

Bruising easily - I bruise very easily. I can tap into something lightly and end up with a bruise

Soreness - my body seems to be ultra sensitive. If my kids or husband happen to grab my arm or tickle me, it's painful. They don't understand why that would hurt but it does. I also have episodes where certain areas on my legs and thighs will be sensitive to light touch such as clothing simply rubbing against it.

Digestive issues - I always have something going on with my stomach. My mother also has IBS and I believe I may have, as well.

Sensitivity to sounds and smells - Having a loud television on really bothers me. I have to leave the room and go where it's quiet. Smells bother me, too. I can smell something some place that is nauseating and no one with me is bothered by it.

Muscle spasms - I usually get muscle cramps in my legs each month but that may be related to my period. I also get muscle spasms in my back that last for a week or so.

I have mentioned my concerns with my doctor and that my mother has fibro but she just moves on to another topic. Can it be genetic?

I don't have a constant pain each day to where it is debilitating but I do have the issues I've listed above. That's why I'm not sure if this is fibro or not. Does it have to be pain 24/7?

Do these symptoms I listed sound like fibro and how do you get a diagnosis? I just feel like something isn't right. I found out I have hypothyroidism and started on medication a year ago but it hasn't helped with the fatigue.

Just trying to find some answers. Thank you for your help.

Hi famv5,

This is tough to answer because everyone has such varied experiences with fibro. I never really asked my dr if I had fibro because I honestly thought I had multiple sclerosis. I was having issues with tingling, numbess, tightness in muscles, stiffness everywhere, tingling on my face, cheeks, down arms and in legs. I also had the issue of never feeling fully awake ever, forgetting words mid sentence, slight slurring when speaking sometimes. I told my dr these symptoms and was sent to a neuro.

the neuro ran brain and spine mri's, tested copper, vitamin e and vitamin b12. everything was fine. I was later sent to a rheumatologist who tested for lupus, sjogrens, hepatitis, ankylosing spondylitis and checked inflammatory markers and also tested for rheumatoid arthritis. He also sent me in for spinal x ray because I was having trouble bending over to do simple things like tie shoes. When all those tests came back clean, I was told that it's fibro.

I think for most people, getting diagnosed is a long process of elimination. I'm not sure if your symptoms sound like fibro, my symptoms are there daily at varying degrees, I always wake up stiff and in pain and also have trouble sleeping because of pain. With that said, I do think your dr needs to take your symptoms more seriously. Any chance your thyroid medication dose is too low? I'm also hypothyroid and your symptoms could also indicate that you need to raise your dose.

I hope I helped answer your questions. Good luck!

My Fibro never started with pain. For a few years I was tired out. The pain didn't come for about a year after.so yes u could have,
But like pp said u need blood tested to rule out other things, I think u need another dr or to tell your dr u believe what u have maybe Fibro and to take u seriously.

Thank you.

I am due for my annual checkup next month with bloodwork. What kind of blood test do I ask for?

I'm also going to have my thyroid levels checked. They were 7.86 and then dropped to 1.2 where they have been for the past year.

I appreciate your advice.

Get FM/a test done from a lab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

What you have described does sound like fibro. Do you have the infamous 18 tender spots? My mother got diagnosed exactly 20 years before me. There is certainly some sort of familial correlation. I think 30% was a number I saw. I pray my child does not inherit this nightmare from me, it would break my heart. First time I mentioned to g.p. along with my history I got his support....morally...not pharaceutically...official diagnosis followed a few months later when I acquiesced and went with it...I had been fighting being diagnosed as no cure, no reason. He told me they could manage my symptoms....not so much, not a single pain pill. Thanks for the reminder that a mammogram was due but let me suffer 24-7. Good luck w blood tests...lots of money spent with not much to show. Do go for vitamin d levels though...we here typically run low. I take 500 iu D3 and got my numbers back up along with some energy. B levels might be helpful too. I supplement with lingual b12 vitamin as it doesn't absorb well for me pill form. Good luck. I hope you find the answers you seek!

I have read that fibro is in part hereditary. I am glad i didnt know that as my parent also got chronic fatigue or post viral syndrome as it was called in the 1990's at the age of 46.

I never gave a thought to a genetic link. Apparently the chances of passing it on are around 50 %...although i don't know how reliable any evidence is.

I started getting fatigue that came and went from my early 30's and recovered for long periods and just kept thinking i was run down ....but no pain at all until out of the blue i got pain spread gradually through out my whole body ...age 47!

Unbelievable coincidence about our ages.

Hi! You will need to go and see a Rheumatologist where he will go over your symptoms and history as well as your families history and he will do a test on you checking your 18 tender points. I believe if you have 11 out of the 18 you are diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and most likely Chronic Fatigue/Pain in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back