Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
FL
I've noticed a lot of people stuggling with migraines/cluster headaches.
I struggled for YEARS before a doctor tried me on topiramate. It took some adjusting, but I've gone three years (with exception of times in the mold house) with little trouble, where I used to hide in a dark, quiet closet crying.
If you haven't tried it you may want to discuss the pros and cons of this medication with your doctor. The pros out weighed the cons for me.

Last edited:
I'll have to talk to my mom about this. She suffers from awful migraines. She's used botox to treat it with little effect. I'll talk to her about this.

Thanks for sharing!

Just a question... does this medication cause constipation? If it does I pass. I suffer from IBS, don't get me wrong... migraines are bad, but constipation is... well, not something I can handle that well :( It seems most pain meds constipate me :( I was given not so long ago a medication that actually helped with the migraines, but didn't continue taking it for the same reason I mentioned earlier.

I don't recall constipation. I too have that problem. Have you tried taking extra magnesium when your constipated? Topiramate is an anticivulsion/nerve pain med. not in the opiate family. I was under weight when I started on it and had to come off of it for a month because I kept loosing. But when I started back I had just minor side effects that went away, but compared to my migraines it was worth it. Everyone is different though. I guess it depends on how bad your migrains are if you want to add another medication.

Trellum - Topiramate (or Topomax, which is what I take) can actually help constipation, strangely enough. It's been the one medication that has helped my headaches immensely. BUT since my blood work has continued to show a lower and lower white blood cell count, my doctor is now certain it's the Topomax and continues to lower my dose, which only brings back my headaches. I'm so worried I'll have to go completely off of it - I don't know what I'll do!

I will surely take my time to make aresearch on those medications, seems like I never heard of those, thank you for sharing anyway!

I suffer from migraine with aura. I had taken topamax for about 10 years (prescribed by my neurologist) and it did work really well for stopping my migraines. That said, one of the nicknames for topamax is "dope-a-max". It can make you very "foggy". I was taken off of it a couple of months ago because the neurologist thought it could be causing my confusion and memory loss etc. Now I know that I have fibromyalgia it can be explained, but I'm still going to stay off of it. I don't need anything potentially contributing to my mental fogginess, lol!

I took topiramate for migraine last fall. It got rid of my chronic headaches right away, even at the lowest dose. But I stopped taking it because I could not function with cognitive side effects. Now I take an herb, butterbur, that my neurologist recommended. It has worked well for me.

I took it years ago as a daily medication to stave off migraines, with some success. Unfortunately, it did have a tendency, especially at first, to put me to sleep regardless of what I was doing. I can't speak to the constipating effects, because I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, and pain medication that usually constipates others helps my IBS-Diarrhea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back