Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
NL
State
NL
Hey guys! One of the most difficult things for me right now is coping with the awful migraines I get often, I feel so scared every time I start to feel like I'm about to get a headache, because my migraines feel just like that when they're about to start. Fortunately this doesn't happen all the time, because there are times I do really get your average headache.

My migraines can last for days, and NOTHING seem to relieve them. The pain the first two days is so intense! So intense sleeping is almost impossible and I start to feel so desperate. Watching TV or going out is not an option either. Even after the migraine is almost gone... I still feel pain (feels like contractions in my brain!).

The worst part of all is the nausea! The nausea is awful! I often wonder if there is a medication out there that can actually relieve all those symptoms. When I get a migraine all I want is to find something to stop it.

Is anyone else here suffering from migraines often as well? How do you cope? Have any tips to share?

I'm quite sure another migraine is about to start tonight :((((((

I get migraines often and long myself.
I have been to the ER for them many times, mostly last year. The best thing that worked for me was IV Dilaudid and Klonopin. The doc figured it was a combination migraine/tension headache.
Unfortunately, you and I do not have access to IV drugs at home so we have to deal with the dark, quiet and hope that it goes away. Not to mention, the last time I went to the ER I was told that "A migraine can't last for ten days".
I feel like those of us with Fibro are in a class of our own when it comes to the way we feel pain, the intensity and length of said pain, and even the effect of painkillers. For example, I never understood why Percocet didn't get rid of my pain the way it was supposed to, it just numbed it, and it was supposed to work 4-6 hours, but it always wore off at the 3 hour mark on the dot.
But, back to the migraines. I take Topamax to ward them off, which worked for awhile, as did Imitrex. Then we had to nix the Imitrex and turn up the Topamax and I am on Relpax. However, now I am having up to 6 migraines a month and they never last just one day.
Are you on any medications?

Hi,
I have had a sinus headache turned into a migraine that has lasted almost 3 weeks.. I have done vicodin, which dulls until a loud noise then back to full force. I don't get much nausea but there is a pill, Ondansetron ( that's the generic for Zofran). I have used it for motion sickness as well, works better the over the counter. My migraines have gotten so bad I have been tempted to use marijuana, just to get relief. Of course it has not gone any further than that. If you find something that works let me know. I will ask about diladid.

I took Periactin every day (a children's antihistamine). But, after I went gluten free they went away and I went off the meds for the migraines.

About 4 years ago I went to GA on vacation, but I was dreading it so bad that I got a migraine and it lasted for a full 7 days. Finally I couldn't take it anymore so I went to walk in clinic and they gave a shot of Tordal. So when I followed up with my PCP he prescribes them for me. There are rules like no ibuprofen and not more than 4 in 24 hours.

Hi Kristen! That sounds awful! So far I haven't experienced a 7 days long migraine, but I have noticed the length of my migraines are just increasing and increasing. It's scary! Has the length of your migraines increased? Mine used to range from a few hours to a full day. Do you experience nausea as well?

Hi,
I have had a sinus headache turned into a migraine that has lasted almost 3 weeks.. I have done vicodin, which dulls until a loud noise then back to full force. I don't get much nausea but there is a pill, Ondansetron ( that's the generic for Zofran). I have used it for motion sickness as well, works better the over the counter. My migraines have gotten so bad I have been tempted to use marijuana, just to get relief. Of course it has not gone any further than that. If you find something that works let me know. I will ask about diladid.

Woah... 3 weeks?!? That's crazy! Poor you! It must have been such an awful time, I can't imagine having migraines that lasted that long! I'll try those pills for nausea next time I get a migraine, hopefully the headache I had last night was just a false alarm! Phew!

I think there is a medication over here that is supposed to help with migraines, I'll look into it and report back to you with (hopefully) positive news.

Thanks. I am starting escitalopram to see if the headache is related to my depression. Will see. It has not been fun and taking care of two young kids makes it hard. I appriciate it.

Several years ago I suffered with migraines on a weekly basis. Stress in my life was a big part of it, but other times they came on for no reason or I was told I had a viral infection. I remember sitting or laying, in a dark room, on my bed trying not to move and using cold cloths on my head and taking excedrin migraine pills or vicodin, trying to make the pain go away. Mine could last a few days to a week. Motion sickness pills did not work.

I remember going to see a neurologist and telling him about all my weird symptoms and trying to explain about the unusual headaches I was having and how painful they were. I was not searching for drugs, but for answers as to what made them so severe. I was told my questions and symptoms did not fit any diagnosis and I was dismissed as just being depressed.

If your not depressed before you see a round of doctors, you are sure to be after the visits where the doctor is uncaring or rude and hurtful. I wish some of these doctors would think less about their ego's and just plain admit they don't know what is wrong and they don't have all the answers. That type of response would make me respect them in the long run, compared to being sorry I ever stepped in their office.

Migraine headaches are a close second to being the worse symptom of fibro next to pain. What say you? :)

Uhm, just today I was telling my mom how most doctors like to blame everything on stress, they do it all the time. I've been having a lot symptoms that are completely linked to my hormonal issues, yet some of them say hormones aren't that important at all, lol. Finding a good doctor nowadays is as hard as finding a needle in a haystack or even worse! I hate it so much when they say x symptom is caused by either depression, psychological issues or stress. Nice way to say: ''I don't know, but I won't ever admit it, ok?''.

Thanks. I am starting escitalopram to see if the headache is related to my depression. Will see. It has not been fun and taking care of two young kids makes it hard. I appriciate it.

Best of luck! You must be way braver than I am, because I can't imagine having to take care of two kids while having a migraine. I'll get more info hopefully once I come back from the Netherlands :) I'm leaving in just a few days... I truly hope I don't get a migraine there or on my way there! That'd be awful!

There are times vicodin doesn't work for my migraines. I am not sure which is worse cause on some of those days the severe cold weather made the fibro worse. I did have depression before and it is worse now. Had a good day today. Went got my hair done, nails, and went in a tanning bed. I had no migrane and low fibro pain. Very rare of a day.

Thats awesome! I hope you don't either. Have fun!

I get migraines often and long myself.
I have been to the ER for them many times, mostly last year. The best thing that worked for me was IV Dilaudid and Klonopin. The doc figured it was a combination migraine/tension headache.
Unfortunately, you and I do not have access to IV drugs at home so we have to deal with the dark, quiet and hope that it goes away. Not to mention, the last time I went to the ER I was told that "A migraine can't last for ten days".
I feel like those of us with Fibro are in a class of our own when it comes to the way we feel pain, the intensity and length of said pain, and even the effect of painkillers. For example, I never understood why Percocet didn't get rid of my pain the way it was supposed to, it just numbed it, and it was supposed to work 4-6 hours, but it always wore off at the 3 hour mark on the dot.
But, back to the migraines. I take Topamax to ward them off, which worked for awhile, as did Imitrex. Then we had to nix the Imitrex and turn up the Topamax and I am on Relpax. However, now I am having up to 6 migraines a month and they never last just one day.
Are you on any medications?

Hi there!

Sorry to hear you also suffer from awful migraines :( I completely relate to what you said about being on our own, I do feel that way most of the times, not only with fibro but other things... like the stupid doctors at the ER doubting I'm having trouble to breathe! Sometimes I feel like mot doctors I see think it's all in my head you know? Like we actually end up at the ER that often, right? :lol:

You might think I'm crazy, but up until now I haven't taken anything for my migraines. I need to go see the neurologist once I come back from my trip, and ask him to give me something for my migraines and the intense nausea sensations I've started to get with each migraine. To be honest I try to take as little meds as possible. Only when is truly necessary, fortunately my migraines aren't that long, if I had a migraine for 7 days that's be it!1 I'd take whatever I could to get rid of that pain!

I've had migraines since my teens. Now that I'm senior discount qualified I do not get them as often, which is great as I am totally down when they hit. I fortunately have migraine with aura, so often I will get a warning that one is coming on so I can get some medication on board.

The triptans worked relatively well for years--had to switch them from time to time. ER visits as last resort. Now that I can not take any of those meds, I rely on OTC migraine meds and ginger to the nausea. And I use benedryl or trazadone to make me drowsy. If I can get to sleep, I usually get through the worst pain. This doesn't work as well as the triptans. The Urgent Care doc gave DHE 45 the last couple times I went for migraine, along with benedryl. It knocks down the pain fairly well-- enough to sleep. You can get a prescription for DHE, but it is VERY VERY pricey. The DHE didn't make me loopy like the opioids.

I've also found that having a very quiet background sound helps me focus away from the pain. (Golf is good!) Cool, not cold, on the back of your neck or forehead.

Always be really careful about taking too much medication for migraines as you can get in a cycle of rebound migraines. Kinda counterintuitive, I know.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back