Status
Not open for further replies.
Exercise has not worked that well for me over the past couple years. The walking I do makes my knees sore. The rest of the day I am sitting with my legs bent at the knees. I feel like I have arthritis there though I am fairly young. So, no, exercise is not easing the pain. It just increases it. Every now and then my entire body will feel great after exercising. I can't explain why that happens randomly.

Sometimes, like today, I feel like a rockstar! I walked twenty minutes on the treadmill and did some crunches on the ball. I felt strong and powerful even though I had to rest after ten minutes. It is not often I feel strong so it was great today! I will pay for it tomorrow, I'm sure.

My medical doctor and my physical therapist suggest doing very gentle exercise, without additional weights, and starting very slowly. They have signed off on swimming in warm water for 20 minutes at a time/3 times a week with no additional equipment except a noodle, and a tai chi class 2times a week to help with balance and movement. They stress not getting overtired and not exercising until the muscles get sore.

I still don't know how it impacts me since I'm new to having fibro, but I do find that stretching feels best through the pain. Walking or lifting tends to exaggerate my pain- I notice my pain a lot more after using my muscles. I'm in the worst shape of my life now because I'm moving around so much less. I was in ballet for 10 years and gymnastics and swimming for a while. I have been in decent shape most of my life. I don't feel I'd be able to get back into dancing without screaming at the point.

I'm super happy for you though!

A question about exercise and pain: When I walk even 100 years,the sides of my hips and the back and sides of my thighs burn. This does not feel like the "go for the burn" that we were told to do in the 80's. Any ideas of what may be causing it and how to overcome it?

Sounds like muscle strain from tight tense muscles. I get that sometimes in my hips when walking up slight hills or my stair steps. I think some form of exercise is needed to keep limber and your body as a whole strong. Even the muscles used to breath can be affected by fibro. I am trying to walk more, but on cold sharp days I use the car to go places. I feel that burning in my chest when I don't exercise as often as I should. Sometimes when I am walking down hill my legs feel like stiff stakes that won't bend or relax. I feel like a robot walking in this manner. lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back