Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
CA
State
ON
marine phytoplankton claims to be "effective in treating" fibro: overly optimistic?

Has anyone heard of marine phytoplankton supplements? I hadn't until my mom started telling me about this powder she was taking that was supposed to be great for... well... all kinds of things. She's using a brand called Karen that has been approved by Health Canada and seems to be sold in a bunch of pharmacies now (the company is based in Sackville, NB, Canada, where I went to school, so that's cool). The phytoplankton is cultivated under controlled conditions, so it should at least be free of toxins and generally safe. The company describes it more as a food like kale or spinach. It is, of course, ridiculously pricey, even for a supplement.

Anyway, Mom gave me a pack of the pills to try, but like any supplements I take, I want to see some amount of evidence of the potential benefits. The company website gives very little information on the science behind it, giving only anecdotal evidence, though they are preparing to do some clinical studies. Statements on some other websites are more than a little incredible: "Karen is approved by Health Canada and according to company-led studies and anecdotal reports from those who have consumed it, Karen is effective in treating everything from digestive issues, inflammation, fibromyalgia and migraine to chronic pain, low energy and skin issues such as psoriasis and eczema." Similar claims are given for other companies' products.

That "effective in treating" claim raises a TON of red flags for me. I haven't found a direct statement from Health Canada, or any support from medical practitioners. Until independent studies are done, I'm highly skeptical. I'm still willing to give it a go, but only as a supplement to my intake of leafy greens.

So, has anyone heard of this product, either Karen or other companies? Has anyone tried it and if so have you noticed a difference in your health.
Also, if anyone can find some reliable research or any medical support, that would be helpful too (I tend not to trust studies by the company itself).

In the meantime, thought you should know this is out there in case you do want to try it, but be wary of overly optimistic health claims.

Cheers,
Peg

Re: marine phytoplankton claims to be "effective in treating" fibro: overly optimisti

Here is what I think you might want to know which I found online it might be true or it might not please use your own judgement :shock:

Enthusiasts tout marine phytoplankton as the next important superfood. Online vendors of phytoplankton supplements describe it as containing every nutrient that human bodies need. Clinical trials do not support any alleged benefits of phytoplankton supplements. Using them to replace conventional treatment for life-threatening diseases can be detrimental to your health. And the products may even be toxic.

Possibly Unsafe

The American Cancer Society reminds readers that dietary supplements come under much less scrutiny by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration than other products marketed for consumption. Their labeling may be misleading. Claims that the product is "all natural" or "naturally grown and harvested" should not be understood as a guarantee of safety. A risk specific to phytoplankton is toxins. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, most of the natural toxins that contaminate fish and shellfish are produced by phytoplankton. You have no guarantee that your dietary supplement contains no toxin-producing species or plankton harvested from toxin-tainted waters.

Alluring Cure-all Claims

The American Cancer Society says in, "Dietary Supplements: How to Know What Is Safe," claims that sound too good to be true probably are. So fans and resellers of phytoplankton supplements might take phytoplankton supplements with a belief that it can detoxify your cells, jump-start your DNA and even cure chronic health conditions such as diabetes and arthritis. Many consumers trust claims made on supplement labeling, thinking that the law protects them from false advertising. But according to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, U.S. law does not oblige manufacturers or vendors of dietary supplements to prove the effectiveness of their product. The danger is forgoing necessary medical consultation in favor of supplements whose purported efficacy rests on no scientific research.

Cancer Mistreatment

There aren't any clinical studies supporting claims that phytoplankton supplements cure cancer. But a person with a terminal illness may be easily persuaded -- on the strength of having nothing to lose -- to try unproven and possibly dangerous alternative treatments. Drinking a seaweed tincture is undoubtedly more pleasant than undergoing chemotherapy, but it's no alternative from the standpoint of efficacy. If you have cancer, forgoing conventional treatment in favor of experimental supplements may mean giving up your only realistic hope of survival.

Medical Interactions

Both the American Cancer Society and the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine urge you to talk to your health care providers about any dietary supplements you may be considering. This is good advice regardless of whether you intend to use phytoplankton supplements as a replacement for conventional medicine or as a complementary treatment. No matter how harmless you think the supplement may be, you must tell your doctor about it so he can ensure your safe and coordinated care. According to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, some dietary supplements interact badly with medications -- some can impact your body's response to anaesthesia or increase your risk of bleeding during surgery. And few supplements have been tested for safety during pregnancy and nursing.

Supplement side effects are of specific concern where cancer is concerned. According to the American Cancer Society, some dietary supplements cause skin sensitivity and other adverse reactions if taken in conjunction with radiation treatment. And dietary supplements may also put chemotherapy patients at higher risk for drug interactions.

Dubious Testimonials

Vendors of marine phytoplankton supplements often rely on customer testimonials to win your confidence. But testimonials can't substitute for controlled scientific studies, according to The American Cancer Society, which emphasizes that such testimonials are only anecdotal evidence, based on an individual's personal experience and opinion. You have no guarantee that the testimonial is true.

Excessively Expensive

In October of 2010, prices for liquid phytoplankton supplements range from about $40 per 16 oz. bottle to about $30 for 2 oz. bottle.

Re: marine phytoplankton claims to be "effective in treating" fibro: overly optimisti

yah! I think I read that. (Livestrong? I think that's also the only place I found an actual list of what's supposed to be in this stuff. They tend to be a bit more reliable than most alternative health sites. Also, no info from a single actual medical website, which always raises flags). I mean, the possibilities are intriguing, but without hard evidence, clinical trials, or even a doctor's testimonial or a before/after vitamin level blood test, it's all heresay. I'm all for natural supplements/treatments, but not unless they have some amount of evidence behind them, either clinical studies or centuries of use (ie: turmeric for inflammation, ginger for nausea, research on CBD oil, etc)

I was curious if anyone else had hear of/tried the stuff/shown any good results/didn't have any luck/etc.

The best I can tell is it could be a good supplement if you're not eating enough greens, but I wouldn't put any faith in it beyond that. It also bugs me that there's no breakdown for nutrient content, even if the amounts are miniscule.

I'm worried that my mom especially could be buying into what is essentially an overpriced multivitamin. At least this Karen brand is lab-grown under controlled conditions to prevent toxic contamination, but anything taken straight out of the ocean could indeed be dangerous. Health Canada only inspects natural health products for safety, not for health claims.

I mean, if they can do solid research and find evidence that it is a "cure all" or at least helps alleviate certain conditions, that will be awesome, but I never jump on a bandwagon without something to stand on first.

Last edited:

First of all I'm very familiar with live phytoplankton as the food I use to feed my brine shrimps that raised to feed baby axolotl that I used to grow. So far as them being safe for human consumption in such potency amount as supplement, I think NOT. Phytoplanktons are small live organisms that absorb all things in water like the water filter wherever they're from. They can not be originally created in lab but brought in from outside to raise in lab Yes. They sell them in aquarium enthusiastic market as live fish food, and again not for human!. I rather drink blue algae from that nasty green spirulina tablet that turn water blue after you wake them up by shining sunlight to them in the jar of water overnight ( or day). It smell and tasted really ewww... of course I ended up feeding my shrimps with those instead of eating them my self too. Still I admit to have some faith in algae especially the "red algae" mostly beneficial for anti aging of course. But just live phytoplankton to the whale , I really do wish people would stop trying to steal the fish's food.

it's just another scam someone made up to take advantage of people who are ill and desperate for a cure.

Still it was a fun to read , I like to reply to all scam and spam regardless of what they are cause leaving it alone would be accepting the idea. Imagine how many people reading statement alone with no objections. Plus I always wonder why there's so many fuzz about evolutionary reversals diet. Since fish get cancer too along with countless other deadly deceases , even though they live much longer than we do their health are declining much quicker than human being when it comes to all fatal illnesses . Just imagine getting even just a small tiny little fungus infection and it suddenly spread covered your head to your toes in side out in just a few days? If human and fishes get the the same illness reaction, our world would look like a zombie apocalypse.

OMG, you guys are the best. ie: you know dubious claims when you see them and value, you know, science?
Though, some days I might prefer being a fungus zombie.
Now, how to explain to my mother the importance of peer-reviewed research..? (she also asked if I knew about "salt lamps" and I was like, what? That's some hippie nonsense, Mom...) (ps: I love my mother, I do)
Of course, maybe someday when they do actual trials on this stuff we'll all be proven wrong and will instead become ageless and cancer-free, but someday there might be a pill so I can eat gluten too. I'm not holding my breath.

So, conclusion: HIGHLY DUBIOUS. Avoid until further study is done.

Have a pain-free day!

I have been suffering this condition for many years now and have heard endless promises of naturally healing herbs, superfoods, yoga, and so many other things over the years now. People do want to believe that it may soon be over but none of these have ever actually offered anything meaningful. Long on premature promises but nothing else.

lol science, I flunked that class on reason ya know? Lol. I did bought a salt lamp but I used the salt for cooking and bathing since the pink Himalayan salt has very high minerals , cause the price of pink salt in whole food are crazy expensive while the pile of rocks selling with the light bulb ( which is the same salt by the way) are much cheaper . Weird right? 😁

I have been suffering this condition for many years now and have heard endless promises of naturally healing herbs, superfoods, yoga, and so many other things over the years now. People do want to believe that it may soon be over but none of these have ever actually offered anything meaningful. Long on premature promises but nothing else.

I do consume healing herbs and spice like turmeric, cayenne , pepper berries. Which I agree with doctor on their healing property cause it works as pain relief . But as far as curing the incurable decease no I do not. People want miracle so they ant to believe , but sometime the power of believe is rather frightening, it can ended up like the vegan parents that try to veganized their infant and their babies ended up mount nutritions. Or family healing ritual that ended up opposite side effects.

I'll tell you what I don't believe, marketing.

Tipnatee, I think I love you! I might just buy a salt lamp to crush it up for salt now...
Talked to my mom and gave her a (small) lecture about not jumping on bandwagons. She claims the stuff is helping her energy level, which makes sense since its basically just eating a ton of kale. As I said, this particular brand of the stuff is at least proven to be safe, so is basically an overpriced multivitamin, and if people want to use it for that, go for it. Just don't expect it to cure anything. I only hope that there will be some legit research done and who knows, maybe they will find there's something to it.

Also, holy shite the marketing! Like when the "ColdFX" stuff came out and (yes, I live in Canada) Don Cherry endorsed it as a way to kill a cold, but it's just ginseng! Go buy some good-quality ginseng supplements and probably save a bunch of moneys.... Just like ginger=gravol without the sleepies and the price tag

Anyway, I think I'll stick to eating my kale instead of fish food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back