Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
CA
State
AB
A year ago my dr said he thought I had fibromyalgia ...I didn't believe him - I just didn't have the symptoms. (I had a left hip replacement and a right knee replacement)

I went to him a week ago and told him I was a mess. I told him I was SO depressed - the antidepressants I was on aren't working...I hurt - all over - my shoulders/upper arms, my knees, my hips, my back, my neck - and my left hand ...and I feel exhausted so much (now I am overweight too, so I know some things come from that issue as well) but he said again, now I really believe that it is fibromyalgia.

I've done some reading, but I just don't know if that is what it is. BUT, in saying that, I am exhausted ...I am in pain so much, and am taking pain killers every day. :( I don't want to be like that! And if I am like that now, what is to come?

I am confused ... a bit scared .... worried about my job ...

Can any give me some advice ... some words of wisdom from being here at the beginning and what you have experienced?

Thank you so much for any advice you have to offer!

Janet/Calgary

Hi Janet, so you've had 2 replacements. How long ago, and I'm not sure it makes much difference how long ago.

I had a hip replacement in late 2010, going in knowing I probably had the FM issue going on, the bodywide OA starting when I was 18, I was 72 at time of replacement. I am way way more of a mess since the replacement. Not only do I have at least 3 specific issues since replacement, I hurt more in general. These replacements are major physical and mental traumas to our body and minds. I often wish I had my OLD PAIN. The only pain I don't have is the Groin Pain which I guess was fixed with the replacement.

I was given the FM diagnosed in July 1999 after a major emotional trauma. So lots of things going on with my body and then the major surgery. People just don't realize the magnitude of these surgeries. As far as your replacements, are you happy with them? I had the Anterior hip replacement. J

Last edited:
You could try Nature path Dr.s they may have a alternative herbal remedies. From what I understand, Insurances will cover the Dr. App. But not the prescription part. Hope I'm not to confusing.

Hi Janet, so you've had 2 replacements. How long ago, and I'm not sure it makes much difference how long ago.

I had a hip replacement in late 2010, going in knowing I probably had the FM issue going on, the bodywide OA starting when I was 18, I was 72 at time of replacement. I am way way more of a mess since the replacement. Not only do I have at least 3 specific issues since replacement, I hurt more in general. These replacements are major physical and mental traumas to our body and minds. I often wish I had my OLD PAIN. The only pain I don't have is the Groin Pain which I guess was fixed with the replacement.

I was given the FM diagnosed in July 1999 after a major emotional trauma. So lots of things going on with my body and then the major surgery. People just don't realize the magnitude of these surgeries. As far as your replacements, are you happy with them? I had the Anterior hip replacement. J

I had my left hip done 2 years ago, it went ok - and my left knee last spring. That was much harder. But it's only been in the last few months that I have been hurting all over. But I don't have the insomnia, which in the book I Am reading seems that everyone that has this has insomnia. I am 53 right now. I know being overweight doesn't help. I am working on it, but it's difficult. We booked a holiday that will involve a lot of walking. Taking a cane, but such a pain to have to do that :( How are you feeling in general?

Thank you :) no confusing at all :) Thank you... I am sort of looking into that, but it does seem like a costly venture for sure!

So many factors could be involved, the surgeries are traumas and may show up later. I did much better into my 5th month post op with hip, then everything went downhill. I deal with a lot of nerve damage...I have never had insomnia and I have worked up a sleep combo that gives me 8+ hrs per night of pretty good sleep. It's posted here in Alternatives, my sleep combo that is.

I deal with shoulder injuries too, and this mess, causes pain down my arms.....what a mess in many ways. J

That sounds awful :( so far my extreme pain only comes every fwe days. But when it does I find I really need something for pain because everything hurts and my hips and knees are the worst. My need is still and hurts almost 24/7, but I'm getting used to it.

What do you take?

I was told I should go see a rheumatologist. Have you ever seen one?

Thank you for replying!

Welcome to the site. I've had 3 ops with fibro. At the end of the day if u got fibro you got fibro. We all felt scared like u do now. And many days I freak out worrying what life holds years from now.but that fat is we can't stop that. Ask your Dr for good pain killers maybe higher does of anit D .and ask for blood tests to rule out anything else and see if your vit D levels are low .many of us have very low vit D . Which can make u hurt more.
For now take every day as it comes , make sure your sleeping well .and get the pain sorted first . Pls do join in the chat here it's a real life saver at times . And your find u can share what things u learn on the way with us xx

Welcome to the site. I've had 3 ops with fibro. At the end of the day if u got fibro you got fibro. We all felt scared like u do now. And many days I freak out worrying what life holds years from now.but that fat is we can't stop that. Ask your Dr for good pain killers maybe higher does of anit D .and ask for blood tests to rule out anything else and see if your vit D levels are low .many of us have very low vit D . Which can make u hurt more.
For now take every day as it comes , make sure your sleeping well .and get the pain sorted first . Pls do join in the chat here it's a real life saver at times . And your find u can share what things u learn on the way with us xx
Thank you Forgetmenot! I have good painkillers for now - and I'm glad because there are days it is so frustrating because I hurt everywhere. Sometimes I am afraid of what the future holds - will it get worse, etc.

My dr is sending me for ultrasounds and bloodwork to rule out anything else.

I take Vitamin D right now, but only 1000 mg -which I think I heard isn'tvery much.

I try to sleep as well as I can. I just have only so many days of sick time, so a bit worried about that.

I will have to check out the chat room :) Thank you again - so much! Because yes, feeling scared is sure right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back