Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
nv
My family doctor said that fibromyalgia is not progressive, is that true? From my personal experience, I think it is. When this all started, it was intermittent, now I have pain all day everyday. With a lot of really weird symptoms as well. Just wondering what others think about this.

caterina I am wondering the same thing, I have had Fibro for 10 years. When I first had symptoms, they would only last for so long and then go away. Would come back weeks, months and towards the beginning years. Also seems like the flare ups were getting worse and lasting longer and happening more often. And since about 2 years ago my pain is constant, there is no going away. I don't know, I guess it is different for everyone!

I think that it depends on many different factors, stress, other problems with health,change of climate and etc.
I have fibromyalgia for three years and may say that it depends on my mental condition also. If I have more stress situations and difficult periods in life fibromyalgia is getting worse and pain is severe. Also pain in my left leg with me every day, there were not such symptoms few years ago. So I think fibro may progress.

I think maybe doctors mean something different than most do when they say "progressive". I think doctors need to have an objective measurement they can see is getting worse before they classify a condition as progressive. Of course there is not a good physical test for fibromyalgia. Therefore it is not progressive to them.

It sounds like most people have experienced worsening symptoms though. Maybe someday they will come up with a way to measure fibromyalgia and then reclassify it.

I agree with you Zolisindigo, I also get worse with stress. I am working on removing as much stress as I can from my life.

Hi I'm new my name is diane I agree with you Iv had it for probably before I had Parkinson but it's progressed since Christmas it's going worse I had it in my lower lumber and down one side it's now both legs as I can't stand 2minutes because it painful and walking which was a hobby because I love taking my dogs for long runs I'm now have to go in a wheelchair which I hate I do have a mobility scooter which is much better so in my case yes it is getting worse is any one having speech problems I sound drunk sometimes or it could be the Parkinson's

hello, read my post under general discussions what is fibromyalgia.
see that part about the train and the train track.

it will get worse. but you can reduce you pains.

The first time i had fibro only pain the neck. Spread to shoulder . Lower back . Hand. Thigh. Bowel syndrom. Fatigue. Blur eyes. The pain get worse. It is progesive

When a Dr says progressive ,they tend to mean it will one day kill you or leave u in a wheelchair. And yes some poor ppl already are in wheelchairs.
My dr said it is progressive in the sense as u get older u get worse.
So u could say old age is progressive. Hope I make sense lol

as the message wear on the nerves the track gets more broken and the pain will more from place to place on the track.
progressive is not the word the doctor means. he means it will get worse but not kill you.

progressive is used with cancer patients, leukemia, lupus in an organ. not with fibro.

I don't know. But as you age you naturally get more aches and pains even if you don't have fibro or CF. So maybe in combination with other health issues it could be worse as you age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back