DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2016
Country
US
State
TN
Hi,
I have been having intense, horrible, crippling pain for two years but was somehow just diagnosed recently. I was told "pelvic pain" "back problems" "piriformis syndrome" etc, etc.
i have done a lot of reading about fibromyalgia. I currently take magnesium (lotion and pills), vit. D, melatonin, multis, and probiotics/chia seeds. I am vegan. Currently, I do minimal exercise, like walking about a half hour every other day or so. My main issues are pain and fatigue. My pain is very intense and stays in mostly one or two areas, and then I have milder chronic tension and pain in the neck, shoulders, jaw, back, and sometimes wrists and elbows.

I tried to take Cymbalta, but had a HORRIBLE reaction and had to stop within days.

I am looking for tips as to what helps you guys. I can't take Lyrica. But I want to find something else. I want to know how different medicines and therapies have helped you. My pain has affected my work, my relationships, my friends, my family, and pretty much everything else as you all know. I DO still work, and I am 24 and married.

Thanks for the help!

Hello and welcome

I'm sorry the pain has had such a far reaching effect on your life, we all understand how difficult that here. hopefully you have supportive people around you - they make a huge difference.

I also work - I need to support my family. Work can be a lot of pressure, but it is also a great distraction from the pain. At work there are problems I can solve, and that makes me feel good :)

I take a low dose of cyclobenzaprine (flexeril), and it really helps take the edge off my pain, especially back pain. Most people feel sleepy when they take it, but for whatever reason I don't. Even so, I usually only take it once in the evening.

I take trazodone to help me sleep. Works well for me and doesn't leave me groggy in the morning. The better sleep I get, the less I hurt.

I supplement with the usual things - multivitamin, omega three, vit. D, CoQ10 and so forth. I also take 2 supplements that seem to have a synergistic effect in reducing pain for me - resveritrol and rice bran oil. I take a resveritrol pill every morning. I take a tablespoon of rice bran oil several times a day. Taking these 2 things together helps with the background burning pain and makes me feel more energetic.

If you have access to a pool, you might try swimming - the water has a soothing effect for me, and it is a good mild exercise.

This may sound a little silly, but I have started playing Pokemon Go when I walk. The game is a pleasant distraction from the pain. I walk an extra 2000 to 4000 steps on days that I play compared to days when I don't play.

Another thing that has helped me figure out what works for me is keeping a logbook of symptoms. This has helped me see patterns - for example, my best time of day is usually between about 10 am and 2 pm. If I'm feeling really bad in the morning, I know that if I can just get myself to work, I will start to feel better soon.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back