Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
US
State
OR
I have been on it for 8 months now. Started at 50mg/day and now take 450mg/day (150mg/am, 300mg/pm). My sleep is finally getting better, but I still wake up in pain and it continues to get worse throughout the day. It's only been about one and a half months at the 450mg dose. I'm getting some relief, but not enough. Now my doctor wants to switch me back to Gabapentin. I tried it a long time ago, but it made me feel really weird. The thought is, now that I've been on Lyrica, maybe it wouldn't?

I just don't know if I should stay with Lyrica for a while longer or just make the switch. The big "Monkey Wrench" to mention: I also went through 2 major surgeries 5 months ago (still recovering), which threw me into a HUGE fibro-flare. This is why I'm not sure if I have given Lyrica enough time or maybe I need to up the dose? Or just make the switch? She also mentioned the possibility of trying Cymbalta or Savella... All the side effects scare me! Of course, when I was on pain meds, everything felt better! But, all the doctors want me off pain meds and don't want to give them for chronic pain... Help??

Thanks!!

I am NOT a doctor, but after eight months I'd think it was time to move on. Personally I found Lyrica to be totally useless: same with cymbalta, tremedol, the works. After we tried those, I was put on dilaudid, then oxycontin, demerol... these worked. Yes, they have awful side-effects, but they do make the hell which is Fibro manageable.

You need to find a compassionate and reasonable doctor who will prescribe what you need. I wish you a pain-free life.
take care Clara,
DB

Yes 8 months you should be well on your way.i take gabbipintin,and I take it at bedtime.it helps me sleep.and most of the side effects pass while I'm asleep.
Nothing stops the pain but I find it helps so much.i also have tramadol,this with the gabbipintin works well for me.

I tried Lyrica and i found it helped for pain, but it made me into a zombie. I have almost no memory of that time. I am on Gabapentin now. I was up to 1200mg a day, super drowsy, I still had pain and I felt wrong. I couldn't do anything to distract myself. If cut it back to 100mg in the morning and 200mg at night. Pain is the same as on the higher dose but without all the weird feels makes it so much more manageable. I can actually function.
My insurance company however wants me to be on an antidepressant so I started Cymbalta 4 days ago. I have way more pain, crazy new headaches and I can only sleep for 6 hours a night.

Listen to your body. Every one reacts differently. If Lyrica helps you some I would stay on it. Are any contraindications of being on both Lyrica and gabapentin? There is no cure, and while some are able to find a place of no pain, sometimes a functional level of pain is a great goal.

I couldn't take Lyrica. The first night I took it I had stroke like symptoms. The rest of the week I had memory loss and no short term memory. I was also put on all sorts of pain meds. Now I'm only on Gabapentin 1200mgs. 400mgs 3 times a day. It doesn't make me too drowsy anymore. Sometimes depending on how tired I am and what I'm doing at the time. It takes most of the pain away if I use it in combination with Aleve or something. If the pain is really bad a heating pad for my muscles and rest helps. Like the others say, nothing takes the pain away completely, but it's about finding what helps you best cope with the pain and makes it best livable.

I would agree with a lot of the post
450 mg is a high enough dose and this amount of time on Lyrica and not getting good results.
I would suggest trying one of the other Fibromyalgia medications.
They all have side affects, u just have to figure out which ones your willing to tolerate.
I'm having good results with Savella.
After several years, I have more energy.
But it's up to u to decide.
I have slowly tried to wean off some meds that were not working to make sure I'm not taking too many meds that might counter act with each other.

I'm weaning off Cymbalta and switching to Savella and have noticed a big difference.Its not easy, but we have to do what we gotta do.

Hi :) What most of my doctors have told me is all drugs will take time to get to full efficacy BUT if you don't notice any improvement at all in two to three weeks you either need to increase your dosage or go off that medication because it isn't working for you.

Lyrica didn't work for me, I've been on Sevella for 4 months now and there is a noticeable difference. I have also tried Gabapentin, Nortryptilene (sp?), Topimax, and Cymbalta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back