Not open for further replies.

Keith Watson

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
I have tried a lot of moisturizers and medicated soaps but my skin always continued to itch. One thing I found that helps is lavender oil. I know some people can't stand it but I found by mixing a weak solution with water it seems to help but more than about 5% is irritating. They also say the scent is relaxing and helps sleep.

It seems to help but I'm not sure why. I like the scent and and it controls itching for at least a few hours.

I was just reading about yeast infection, and some of the symptoms involve itching. It said that if you have had antibiotics, they kill the healthy bacteria that eat the yeast, and then the east just keeps multiplying. Yeast feeds on sugary foods, so many times, we are just feeding it with processed carbons that have sugar of flour, which turns to sugar when we digest it.
The article said to add a little vinegar to a cup of water, and drink it several times a day, and have plain yogurt to replenish the natural bacteria.
It also suggested mixing white vinegar and peroxide with water, and cleaning your skin with that to disinfect the skin and stop the itching. It said to use one cup of each per gallon of water. I just mixed a small batch in a spray bottle and use that. It is also supposed to repel mosquitoes , so that is a plus, as well.

I noticed you like using lavender oil for your itchy skin. I too have problems with itchy skin but have found an over the counter cream at my local pharmacy. It's called Minerin Cream for the generic brand, as it is much cheaper at a good amount in a round container. The cream is nice and thick, great to use after a shower too. So in order to keep more moisture in your skin apply the cream just before your skin is totally dry. Sometimes I add various essential oils just for a scent or for a therapeutic application for any issues my skin may have. It spreads nice, works well even when you may need to massage a sore area, doesn't leave a nasty greasy feeling, no added scents, is hypoallergenic actually and is highly recommended for diabetic people and dry skin from bad eczema. If you use a lot, just give it time to soak into your skin, it feels really nice. If your as itchy as you say, I would put it on in the morning and at night.

Now if I choose not to use the cream, I will use pure cocoa butter and let it melt onto my skin as I rub it in. Or I will use an oil base with essential oils like lavender, especially for a good light efleurage or swedish massage! :wink:

You mention placing your EO of lavender into water. The two are not symbiotically compatible due to their chemical makeup sadly. Do you notice that the oil just floats into a blob at the top of the water line? Since you love the smell of lavender, I would recommend that you use another oil as a base to mix the oil better (you may even be able to use more lavender EO with this method because it mixes evenly, but try your smallest amount first on sensitive areas...such as the underside of your arm, or your wrist). Olive oil will work very well (Canola once and while if you run out of olive oil), but even better is Grape Seed Oil because it is considered the most hypoallergenic oil for sensitive skin. Just be sure to use less than .05% of that lavender in your oil base to prevent irritation.

If you are still having problems with itchy skin there are other natural methods you can try, or you can talk to your doctor about the possibility of needing a type of hydro medication that helps to keep your skins biology more consistent. Just ask for a safe medication that can help with severe itching. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the medication I had to use when I had a severe case of dry skin. I felt like I rolled in poison ivy! I swear I didn't do anything to trigger it, but who knows.

I also agree with HappyFlowerLady, that we tend to eat way too many sugars and complex carbs. Having a yeast overgrowth on the skin can cause many problems with itchy skin on a variety of people, as well as GI issues. Although if you have been using EO of lavender on a daily basis this may not be this issue on your skin, as lavender is slightly anti-fungal.

I hope this helps!

(PS..I'm not sure if you already know, but I'm going to mention it anyways just in case ok. Just be sure to buy good (organic if possible) EO of lavender that is for skin use. Be aware that some are only graded for use in EO diffusers.)

Tina

If using lavander oil does not help your itchy skin you may have a mild allergic reaction caused by the oil. Lavender is one ingredient I avoid in all products. We have mentioned a few things about itchy skin on the forum but I will try and add some here. I suffer from dry itchy skin and my skin doctor told me to always use the creams as the lotions tend to dry out skin drather than provide moisture.

I have used Dove soap in the past and not been very happy with results. I have used Avon, but had problems with the perfume in some of their cremes. I do use now Gold Bond products. They take away the itch and provide some degree of relief from dry itchy skin. Also use Cetaphil creme.

In your bath water if you have a tub, you can add a cup of epson salts to warm (not hot) water and soak a bit. Also pour a bit of baby oil on top of the water. Dry off when done and apply creme to all dry itchy skin areas.

If you shower use bath oils and shower soap from brand mentioned above. Since I started using these products my skin has improved and is not as itchy as before. Good Luck! Let us know what works for you. :)

I finally had to get yet another prescription for the night time itchies. It is called hydroxyzine. It works well. What is one more bottle of pills when you already take five?

I have also used plain old cortisone cream and it works well. The problem? You need to have someone rub it on your back--my husband goes to sleep way before I do. If i can catch him before he falls asleep, I am ok tho.

My daughter has horrible eczema and we have found that for her itchiness coconut oil is amazing! Also cetaphil lotions and body washes seem to help her quite a bit as well, it's a little pricey but it has seemed to help her itching.

Oh my, that's a lot of work! I got a prescription, took the easy way out, I guess. It works. Mine is nightime, bedtime itching. How about yours? All the time or only selected times like mine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back