Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi I'm newly diagnosed and have had some great advice here so far. I am hoping to get some advice on diet, foods to avoid etc. I am going to start a log book so that will hopefully help too. Thanks and take care.

Tim75 try a search on the top of screen. talk to your doctors too.

tim75-
welcome to the tribe. My dietary regime is abit on the extreme side, but Ive gotten to the point where I was tired of non stop flare ups. Ok, here it goes..Nothing in the nightshade family (causes inflammation) potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, tobacco. white death or rather sugar is off the menu too for me (i use agave or brown rice syrup instead sparingly) and usually steer clear of gluten or rather crap gluten. No fast food...period. I could go into the whole no gmo tirade, but that is more of my own opinion and its an individual decision. Animal meat doesnt not like me anymore, no matter how hard I try to convince my body otherwise. Im extremely reactive to animal fats (milk, butter, ect). I believe its all the antibiotics that they feed livestock in the USA and my situation is reactive to it. Did you know that 80 percent of all antibiotics sold in the United States are for use on livestock and poultry, not humans? Thats just me. Others can get away with eating less strict.

To get protein Try having a meal of rice and beans or lentils, or pasta and beans. You can try combining any of the grains like whole wheat, oats, rice, pasta or corn, with legumes like beans, peanuts, lentils or even soy. Or maybe just a sandwich of whole wheat bread with peanut butter or even veg lasagna could provide you with the complete proteins. Have a bowl of hot split pea soup, and have all the complete proteins you need! Black beans and kidney beans with quinoa, rice or pasta is a complete meal full of complete proteins.

or nuts & grains or nuts & legumes..Lots of greens of all types..Cabbage is my favorite, easy & cheap.

Regarding Dr's knowlege on diet- Its pathetic
In the mid-1980s, the National Academy of Sciences published a landmark report highlighting the lack of adequate nutrition education in medical schools; the writers recommended a minimum of 25 hours of nutrition instruction. Now, in a study published in 2014, it appears that even two and a half decades later a vast majority of medical schools still fail to meet the minimum recommended 25 hours of instruction.

See a nutritionist, Doctors are completely & utterly worthless regarding dietary advice.

Good luck on your journey of discovering what your body needs, wants & requires..

Wow thanks so much lots to learn. My first step so far is a back to basic approach...fresh is best and that is something the whole family can benifit from. The meat is tough cause we dont have a lot of money and usually pick up whatever is on sale so I'm going to try local butcher.
Anyway thanks for info. Take care.

Hi, onward and upward gives good advice. I see you are from Simcoe tlm, cool. Anyways, you just have to try and and find what makes you feel better. Me, I can't eat red meat (beef and pork) it makes me very sick. This is just a recent fibro thing. I mention it to doctors and they look at me like I am crazy. Obviously like onward and upward said, no fast food, if I indulge in a slice of pizza, yikes, that doesn't sit well for a day or two. Screws up my whole system. I stick to chicken. Halal chicken can be found at no frills and it is cheaper than regular chicken. Apparently the only difference is that it has been blessed and hand killed but also only fed grain products no meat by products. I find it agrees with me better nonetheless. Lots of veggies, only a little potato. I also have recently started drinking vitamin water. You can get it without sugar or with sugar. It has a lot of vitamins in it. It is a little on the expensive side but someone always has it on sale for like 2/$3 or something. I have found since I have started drinking those that I have A LOT more energy and a lot less pain. The docs say my vitamin levels are within normal limits but obviously I am low on something. It also helps me get a more refreshing sleep. If I forget to have one, my sleep isn't so great and if I don't have one for a couple of days, I go downhill fast. Just something maybe you should try for a week, see if it helps. But like others have said, everyone is different and not everything works for everyone. Good luck!

Welcome Tim. I'm so sorry you were recently diagnosed. You will learn and hear so many different takes on what works and what doesn't. So far, I have not noticed any change in my symptoms with the change of diet.....However, that said, I'm still going to try another approach that I haven't tried yet, which is the elimination diet. I eat very randomly. One of my symptoms that I believe comes from fibro is lack of appetite. So because I don't have an appetite and I don't eat the same things regularly (except maybe coffee in the a.m.), I find it difficult to believe eliminating or eating more regularly, will change things much for me. I say this because I did try gluten free for a period and had no change, except that since I was eating 3 meals a day, I gained 30 pounds in a very short amount of time.

That said, I would listen to what the rest of these folks say and start off eating right! I've had my issues for a really long time, much longer than when it was finally diagnosed. I didn't always have lack of appetite.

This is the great thing about the group! When you ask a question I feel confident in providing successful insight, I'll jump right in and say so. You may also (I should say, will likely) get multiple opinions on a topic and each can be right for that individual. This illness does not have any one cookie cutter of answers. Trial and error is how you'll weave your way around....What I can say is keep your spirits up and don't beat yourself up if you have days where you struggle. Take care and again, welcome to the forum..... :)

Tim 75, lots of great advice in the previous posts. Fresh is best and avoiding the nightshade family works for me. Since I am a vegetarian, I get my protein from plant sources...lots of beans. If you want to eat meat without all the crazy hormones and antibiotics, try buying from an organic or Amish farm in bulk. My sister's family does this by purchasing half a pig and half a beef critter every year from a farm. The cost works out to be around a flat $2.25 per pound here in Maine. It comes packaged and they drive to the farm or a designated point to pick it up. Buying in bulk does require an upfront outlay of cash, but it is less expensive than buying one package at a time. Organic chicken does tend to be comparatively pricey, but if you look around you can find it less expensive than you might find at a farmer's market. Try Costco if you have one in your area. They carry a fairly extensive selection of organic foods. As far as fresh veggies, check out local farmer's markets. You can likely find a good deal on a CSA which will provide you with a weekly supply of fresh produce and other goodies. Not less expensive than your local store, but you'll get really fresh produce in season and may discover some new vegetables for your table. I think a lot of the diet changes/cost issues can be managed if you shop carefully. Once you get rid of the pre-package convenience foods, soda and other empty calories, you'll find you have more per pound to spend on whole fresh foods. You can also save by changing from the expensive cleaning products and making your own from inexpensive ingredients like baking soda and vinegar. ( If you've ever added up the cost of non-food items in your grocery store visit, it's outrageous.) I do not only for savings, but because so many of the perfumes and other stuff added to the products give me horrible headaches. Lots of sites in internet land where you can find recipes.

I also prepare food in bulk and freeze leftovers. Not only does it reduce food costs, but it reduces my cooking time. When I started eating smarter, it did require a mind shift in not only how I shopped, but how I prepared food. I stopped thinking in terms of individual meals and looked at how I could use on sale items for two weeks of menus. I'm much more creative than I used to be!

Oh, another way to save on food costs is to pick your own. I get strawberries and apples each year from local producers. Appples keep fairly well as long as you keep them cool. You can also make applesauce. I find wild blueberries, blackberries and raspberries and pick them in season. What doesn't get eaten gets frozen or put into homemade preserves with little to no sweeteners.

DON'T stop eating carbs, just stop eating processed carbs. Fruits, vegetables, and grains are all good carbs (please do not count cereals like captain crunch and **** as grains, though. They count as processed carbs) Simple carbs are good for you (glucose and fructose) but get them from fruits and sports drinks rather than juices and candies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back