Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/1995
Country
CA
State
British Columbia
I have come to the conclusion that stress and emotional upset will make your/my fibromyalgia worse. If I get upset and say cry, right away I start to get pain in my body. And if I get some kind of bad news, within one hour I start having arthritis type pain and the pain is bad, I will have to lay down and I will not be good for much. If I calm down and start to laugh or talk things over with my husband, I immediately start to feel better and have less pain. Has anyone else had this experience? I guess the goal is to not get upset and laugh and have more fun!

Yeah, sometimes I could swear it's all in my mind, but I know it isn't! The pain gets worse when I'm depressed or stressed, sometimes it scares me to see how powerful our mind can be! I have read that stress, depression and fibro go all hand in hand! I sometimes wonder which one causes which one or if they all come together! I feel much better after talking with my SO, but when things go wrong between us then I don't feel so well... specially my gastrointestinal issues. I guess we need to make an extra effort and try not to let stress upsets us, because let's be honest... odds are there will always be stress in our lives, so we better learn to cope accordingly.

I can't always tell if the fibro flare causes my poor mental state, or if my mental state causes the flare. Maybe it works both ways? Either way, there is a strong connection. I do my absolute best to keep stress as low as possible because I can't heal when I'm stressed. My full time job right now is healing.

What I know for sure is that too much caffeine causes both anxiety and flares at the same time. Anxiety and flares have always gone hand in hand for me. Sugar also has this effect, but caffeine is much stronger.

I am new to this forum. I have had fibro since 1999 and was diagnosed in 2001. It is so wonderful to have a place we can come together for resources, support and understanding. I look forward to participating in this forum.

In health and happiness,
Pam

I know if I get really stressed or otherwise have a problem that won't go away my fibro starts up almost right away with pain and fatigue, and brain fog. I find it easier to bear when I stay away from people who annoy me and stressful things that won't go away. I try to live a quiet life, to avoid flares.

By the way Pam, welcome to the forum. :)

The stress comes from both the man with the condition and his family. We have been very stressed and upset in the last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back