Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
AR
Is there anything you can do to take your mine off of your pain?

For me, I am building my family tree online. I spend hours digging up old relatives I never knew, and facts about their lives that blow me away. It keeps my mind from rusting and I have something else to talk about with others.

Working on something that I find totally enjoyable takes my mind off my pain. What can you do to distract yourself?

I do things like crafting with fuse beads/perler beads, coloring in adult coloring books,word searches, games on my phone, reading. Things to keep myself distracted. Then I can share these things with others and hopefully make them smile. The artwork anyways. The books I can discuss with a couple of people. Me and a girlfriend usually discuss and exchange books that we each think are good with each other.

My friend has had fibromyalgia for over a year now. He loves organising everything and he loves designing. Whenever he is in pain he tries to keep himself distracted by cleaning the house a little bit.

I curl up with a warm blanket in my recliner and watch a funny movie until I fall asleep. I sometimes play games on the computer. Take a nice warm bubble bath. Read a really good book. Do some easy crafts. Or sit and look through catalogs.

gardening and comedy, whether its a joke or a funny tv clip or movie.

I second the gardening; such a beautifully relaxing hobby (albeit hard work at times). I can't wait for spring. I don't suppose you have that problem in Florida though :)

i love gardening too and since fibro could only do lighter chores like planting up my hangimg baskets and pots or sometimes raking leaves and a little trimming with secateurs...but limiting repetitive movements to stop pain building so say 20 cuts with secateurs then do something else.

Sadly as many of the regulars know my fibro has changed dramatically and im finding things to distract me from pain much harder....especially as physical activity has always been my technique when anything in life is troubling me.

Now i watch more TV when i was not a TV watcher, or music videos on utube, or reading my gardening books..haha or anything i can do to be useful to my family so getting cheaper quotes for bills or researching anything they are interested in when they are busy on other things to help ease any pressure and make their lives a little easier.

Laughter yoga (look it up on you tube), beautiful art on Pinterest, Soul Collage get together on meetup. Aromatherapy. And I just read Jenny Lawson new book Furiously Happy that actually had laugh out loud moments about her chronic illness. Ie, I will do anything if it'll boost serotonin and help me feel better briefly.
If I am more relaxed and happy, then the choices I make about foods, commitments, etc. seem to be wiser and more mindful for what is best for me, rather than thinking what I HAVE to get done NOW or what I think others need from me NOW. If my brain is less foggy then I can choose things that are healthiest and less stressful. Also researching herbs such as schizandra and ashwaganda to reduce effects of stress on body. Already practice deep breathing, mindful mediation, anti inflammatory diet.
For me, I practice homeostasis. Keeping things that work for me in balance as best as possible. This way when I flare up I can usually pinpoint the trigger, or if not, just stick to my usual practices that I know will boost my brain feel good chemicals to get me through it. Transformational breathwork is pretty effective for relief when you are in crisis, i.e., overwhelmed with bad pain and feeling down.
All these things take PRACTICE before they become a habit. The hardest thing is to just try them...it is easier to take a pill or many pills but (for me) the positive side effects from laughter, breathwork, art, good foods, herbal supplements, acupuncture outweigh any effects I've received from most rx drugs...
I work full time and I find the stress of my work varies day to day, much of which is out of my control. I try to control the things I can: my diet, my stress response, my connections to positive people and blogs, committing to watching funny you tube videos at lunch while I eat, or listening to binaural beats while I read this blog. I'm fed up with feeling crappy most of time and am now committed to try and do whatever positive thing to help me feel better.

animals and being in the nature are my life savers. I live in a country with lots of stray cats and dogs, so there is always a cat that needs my attention and love. It gives me a purpose as well, even on my darkest days. 3 stray cats have recently given birth - one in our garden, so everyday I check out how mama and the babies are doing.

Today I was going to the grocery store and one of my stray dog friends came up running behind me. It really made my day. He was so happy to see me, or so it seemed (!). He walked with me to each shop, waited outside patiently, jumping up and down whenever I came out. I was in a bad mood this morning, but now thanks to this dog, I am doing much better. He has the perfect name as well - Zoloft!

I love the dogs name vicky..isnt zoloft an antidepressant? lol how apt!

I went crazy on fresh water aquarium hobbie after diagnosed with fibromyalgia to keep my mind busy and moving . I found my self a new type pet call Axolotl which is a full aquatic walking fish , close family to salamander but most axolotl stay in water all their life in there infant form ( only growing in size). They look like a little alien that comes in all color including pink, gold, brown , black, some glitter , some odd color like purple and green, and glow green in the dark , or odd spotty patterns . I ended up breeding them by accident which turned in to business selling those cute babies on eBay making some good money for a while since they are quite popular exotic pet. They eat mostly live food and require fresh clean water constantly, I had to learn so many way of natural filterations and ended up with aquaponic experimented, in results I had to learn how to hydroponic indoor and ended with too many fresh basil and other fresh herbs . Which leading me to cook better healthy food , watching more food networks. Research more online and watch lots of lots of documentaries nature science new technologies, etc. before I've got kick out of my apartment ( my landlord raised the rent which I can no longer pay ) I was on the way of designing a new easy care taking fresh water axolotl tank with full ego systems in hope that I can design them cheap and maybe it will be a good business for sell. Who knows.

What I'm trying to say is that sometime ago I decided to ride with the flow and see where it'll takes me. Good or bad it doesn't matter . It keeps me looking far a head to the future . I'm also suffering from panic attack disorder and Major depressant so constant looking a head is very important to my survival battle against depression and suicidal thoughts. That's and watching lots of other interesting tv shows. I love watching the show shark tank, for some weird reason it help ease my sudden panic attack and mild away fibro pains. So thank you Mr. wonderful 😊.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back