Not open for further replies.

Siderea

Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
ND
I've missed about 2 weeks of work because I was prescribed Cymbalta and it put me through hell. This is day 4 off Cymbalta now. I went into work yesterday to see how I would do and couldn't get any work done because everyone just wanted to know about what I was going through. One person after the other came into my office full of concern. It was way too much for me! I had to go home because I started bawling. I haven't cried that hard in a while- I'm sure because I needed to. I just wanted to go through everything on my desk and try to come back to my life and my job.

How do you handle people being really concerned about you? I mean, it's great to be cared about. I'm not taking that for granted, and I work with amazing people who I adore. But does the sympathy get to be too much?

At times it can be too much, but i'll take that over the "your one of them" look. Honestly I try to live as normal as possible and hate too say much. I just want to be left alone most of the time, but I must say my coworkers are very cool about it all.

I remember my first time back after the diagnosis and it was pretty overwhelming. It's hard to go from doctors that offer little support to an environment that offers an overwhelming amount. Once you suss out who's being legit and who's just doing it out of obligation, then it gets easier. My teachers told everyone to be nice to me and it was odd when the bullies were even doing it. Made me feel more like a freak. Hang in there!

I've missed about 2 weeks of work because I was prescribed Cymbalta and it put me through hell. This is day 4 off Cymbalta now. I went into work yesterday to see how I would do and couldn't get any work done because everyone just wanted to know about what I was going through. One person after the other came into my office full of concern. It was way too much for me! I had to go home because I started bawling. I haven't cried that hard in a while- I'm sure because I needed to. I just wanted to go through everything on my desk and try to come back to my life and my job.

How do you handle people being really concerned about you? I mean, it's great to be cared about. I'm not taking that for granted, and I work with amazing people who I adore. But does the sympathy get to be too much?

Wow, your co-workers sound like really awesome people! But I do understand how you mean, you just wanted to get tru the day normally, but they just wanted to check on you and kept remind you over and over you have a problem. I actually avoid telling people I've x or y issue for the same reason... I hate being asked specific questions relating to my health issues. I like to keep that kind of things private, actually people showing too much concern constantly feels odd to me. You have the right to feel the way you do. It's get better :) They just need to get used to this... the novelty will wear off soon.

I know it is good to know people care. But it can also be overwhelming. I feel bad when people ask how I am, and I can't say that I am doing well. I do not want people to feel sorry for me.

There's not much you can do as people feel the need to show their concern which makes them feel good about themselves. It's actually a selfish act. You should be honest and just tell people or just a few (because news travels fast especially at work) that you just want to work and try to take your mind off of it and the fact that they ask you all the time how you are doesn't do you any good as it's a reminder of the bad things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back