New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

LCargill is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Batavia
State: NY
Diagnosed: 08/2011
Interest: I have Fibromyalgia, chronic pain, or chronic fatigue.
LCargill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stiffness after physical activity

Thank you! That means a lot. I used to be a lot more physical at work but after a recent inguinal hernia and being out of work for a month for surgery to repair it I no longer do the work I used to do...as often. There are night's when I'm short staffed, like last night I had 3 people, so I filled in on the number 4 spot doing sweeping and mopping at all locations. By the end of the night my lower back was sore and my hips were too and I was definitely stiff when I got home regardless of the stretches I was doing throughout my shift and after work. My go-to is always my heating pad and some muscle rub. I take my hot showers in the late morning before I go to work which helps loosen me up a little more and feel more limber. I do need to look into core strength training and working with my back muscles. I will admit I'm a heavier girl and have chronic problems with my sacrum and pelvis after a fall I took when I was 17. Seven years later and I still need my sacrum re-aligned by my doctor. I've never even considered massage due to how sensitive my back is, any direct pressure (even a poke) hurts tremendously and the pain lingers and radiates for a while. My fiance can't even touch my back because of the nerve sensitivity.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickythecat View Post
First of all I want to applaud you for being a good janitor. During my university years, being a very shy person, I worked as an office cleaner in the evenings. Our supervisor would just give us orders, criticize us endlessly, but he himself would drink tea all evening. So know that the people you are working with are really lucky and should be thankful that they have you as their supervisor! Just had to mention that!

Stiffness is sadly often a common issue with fibro. Like everyone else mentioned here, the work you do is quite intense work even for a healthy body. So try to see whether you can make little adjustments at your work (pacing, using your whole body to carry stuff, take breaks especially during repetitive movements etc.)

After a hard day's work, focus on relaxation. So yes stretching is great, try to do some after your work, but also when you get up in the morning. Hot packs have always been my best friends and I find using them for longer periods works better. I also believe building muscle strength is equally important as physical activity. Nothing fancy, a filled water bottle to strengthen muscles in your arms while watching TV, some lunges, some sit-ups etc. Or if you can handle it, you can pamper yourself to regular massages (or do basic massages with a tennis ball). Moving is good for everyone, but it is important to know and accept that we have limits.

I've been to a chiropractor once - that one time was enough. But I know my friend swears by them, so it really differs from body to body. Giving it a try won't do no harm