Not open for further replies.

debbe

Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
OH
Does anyone here have experience in filing for disability? The financial stress is way too much to handle, on top of the stress of the Fibro.

Sorry debbe I've not had to go down that road. I hope Ohio is better to deal with than R.I., good luck.

debbe,
There is a lot to it in getting disability. One of the first things you should look at is a copy of your income work record from Social Securiity. This will tell you if you have worked long enough, and have enough credits for SSD. If you don't have enough credits, then you might consider appling for SSI. Either way disability, means filling out lots of forums and going to doctors of their choosing, until between that and the records you gather they have enough to decide if you qualify or not. If not, in their standerds, then you need to appeal and appeal, until it goes in your favor. For some the process is quick, but for many it is a long draw out affair.

If you live alone then unless you live in government housing, the amount you get every month may not be enough to pay your bills, without help from family. If your older and have worked many years the amount you get may be much more. Many on SSD, have to do other things to be able to pay the bills. Some make do by giving up many somethings so they can afford important things. Like no TV service and limited phone service, buying your clothes at the local goodwill stores and laying off the snack foods, just anything that can be lived without so you can afford to pay important bills.

Even if you use the system and get all the freebee's it is still hard. In Pa, for example it is possible to use hud substies for a break on your rent and get food stamps, go to local food pantries and get help with electric bills. None of which I do because I want to be free of the government control as much as possible. But they help some folks in need and many more who don't need the help.

Having SSD, is helpful, but it is not the great windfall it is cracked up to be. I would be living in a cardboard box under a bridge, if not for the help of my family and friends. I make less in a month then you might get in a pay check for 2 weeks. But if you can not work then it might be worthwhile to apply. If you qualifity for SSI, you can get more money a month, but there are more restrictions and requirements, in that program.

I am not trying to discourage you. Sometimes where you live can make a difference in how quick you can get approved and how much money you get each month. It can be quick if your lucky or it can take several years. I will suggest that you keep earning some kind of income until you are approved. Not necessarily enough to live on, but even like hobby money or babysitting. Something that shows your trying and something that will keep you on the tax books, so the monthly amount you could get does not decrease. Ask a tax advisor to check on this for you. Social Security goes by the last five years of your work history in determining your income.

I am sure other members here can offer advise in how things went for them and how hard it was to get it in their state. I lived in FL, when I applied and it took me a total of seven years to finally get it. I apealed ever time I was turned down. And once you start don't quit, keep after it even though it is degrading and depressing at times.

I wish you the best of luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back