Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2000
Country
US
State
TN
Hi, I'm a new member and have had FM & CFS for 16 years now. So I have had many symptoms.

I have had many types of headaches: sinus/allergy, neck pain headaches, and migraines. I know that headaches are common in FM. What I am curious about is the new type of headache I have developed over the last 1-1 1/2 years.

I went to a neurologist. Had a brain scan which was normal. Then she tried to ply me with many different types of medicine, which is not what I wanted. I am on so many medications to begin with I didn't need another. I just wanted to know what the problem was.

Well it seemed most were related to my cataracts--I can't even find an instance listed. But they went away. :confused:

But I still have the same type of headaches in other areas of my head. All I can say is they are more skull pain than any other type of headache I have ever had. The bones of my head just ache. Does anyone else have this kind of pain?

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Often times in the past I would have weird headaches that made just the total top back of my head throb. My only relieve was to take strong medications and sit upright with cold wet cloths on my forehead and front neck area. Often times they would last for days. I would go to the doctor and be told it was a viral infection and that there was no treatment for it. Now grant it I had no other symptoms other than headache and some dizziness. So I figured they did not believe me or had no clue as to what was wrong. If a neurologist offered you medications you should have excepted at least one of them to see if it helped you, although, I understand the reason you decided not too. I have never heard of cataracts causing bad headaches. I have them and need to have the surgery mainly because of my need to drive the car and see better in bad conditions and at night.

You might want to see your eye doctor and be sure you don't have another eye condition that could cause these symptoms. I hope you can get some pain relief soon. I am sure other members will help offer suggestions as well. Read through the forum sections and you might find some helpful coping skills to help with your fibro symptoms. I am glad you found us. :)

hi there....I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with so much as well right now. I have suffered from extreme headaches/migraines for several years now. In the last year it has gotten to the point where it is every single day and my neurologist has put me on opiate pain medication as nothing else helped. Ct scan showed multiple brain lesions that they figured are caused by the constant migraines. I definitly get that skull pain you are referring to and also extremely sensitive facial pain/aching in the eyebrow area (feels bruised to touch) and back of my skull. This has developed over the past year. Have you tried accupressure massage? I find i gives a little relief when its really bad. Unfortunately for me the pain medication seem to be the only thing that gives me any good relief for a few hours at a time and I try my best not to take it too often.

Lyndsey xo

"Often times in the past I would have weird headaches" So your headaches went away? If so, you are lucky.

My only relieve... I use an ice pack on the front of my head and the back. I am on oxycodone for my spinal injuries and they have had no effect on my headaches. I have tried everything I could think of. I wish I could use my TENS unit on my head.

I would go to the doctor and be told it was a viral infection... Doctors don't know much about FM.

headache and some dizziness. I have often had dizziness with my sinus & allergy headaches due to congestion through my nose & ears. I also got dizziness when I first got Chronic Fatigue Syndrome then I started passing out when I stood up in the morning from orthostatic hypotension.

So I figured they did not believe me or had no clue as to what was wrong. So many doctors still do not believe CFS & FM do not exist and take the attitude that you are crazy.

If a neurologist offered you medications you should have excepted... I should have been clearer. I tried the medications. One made my headaches worse. Another made my fatigue worse. The third I didn't fill because I was already taking a similar. That is when I decided that she was not helping and just wanted to keep trying medications.

I have never heard of cataracts causing bad headaches. I never did either, but they went away completely in that area after surgery. I had severe headaches, every day all day and the sun stimulated them to be worse.

You might want to see your eye doctor and be sure you don't have another eye condition that could cause these symptoms. I saw the eye doctor and I was completely clear of any problems.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Nancy

Hi Lyndsey,

Sorry about the headaches. I understand how you feel. It is nice to know that I am not the only one. I have had so many different types of headaches, but until these I understood them and knew the reason why. I guess it's possible to get FM in the skull too.

I too went to the neurologist, but only because I though they were caused by something serious. I have tried Sudaphed (thought it was congestion), Neurontin, Topamax, Elavil, Immetrex, & Tylenol, plus I'm on many others. My Oxycodone doesn't help. The only help is when I have ice packs on--it decreases my pain, but of course that doesn't help when I'm moving around.

extremely sensitive facial pain/aching in the eyebrow area (feels bruised to touch) When I get facial pain my sinuses are acting up and I use Sudafed & Guaifenesin & ice packs.

Have you tried accupressure massage? Sounds like an idea. Do you do it yourself or get it done by a professional. Do you follow any specific pattern?

Thanks for the help.
Nancy

I took oxycodone for pain daily but I kept getting headaches. Did some looking and guess what a big side effect is.....headaches! Some other people who take oxy said to take ibuprofen. I tried it and it works. The pain for me is a tight pressure and ache in my head. An ice pack really helps.
My guess is someone could have the same side effect on all the medicines in the oxy family.

Hi Nancy,

I did try accupressure massage and it gave me a little relief, however I did find it very painful. It is definitly worth a shot though. You are not alone at all and I sincerely feel your pain. It's so hard finding relief. I have tried alot of the drugs you mentioned and did not have any success. I had a couple MRi's that showed brain lesions and that still baffles me, and concerns me! Sometimes it really feels like Doctors are just guessing and really don't know.

Give the accupressure a try and see if it gives you any relief. Also, I had botox injections in the base of my skull, didn't make a huge difference and is very pricey! But some people say It makes a huge difference.

I know how frustrating it is to have constant pain in your head just praying that it goes away most days.

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way,

Lyndsey

Sorry about your pain. I'm glad that the ibuprofen helps. I can't take it. I'm allergic. Wish I could. It would solve so many aches & pains.

My guess is someone could have the same side effect on all the medicines in the oxy family. I doubt that that is my problem. I have been off & on the oxy for many years, since I have neck and lower back injuries that are too bad for lesser meds. The headaches are a relatively newer thing the last 1--1 1/2 years. But thanks for the suggestion. The only thing I have found that helps is ice which of course encompasses me, if the headache didn't already.

Nancy

I did try accupressure massage...I did find it very painful. I figured as much. Sometimes I rub it, but I wouldn't really call it accupressure. I may Google it and try.

showed brain lesions and that still baffles me, and concerns me! I would be concerned as well. I never heard of lesions with a headache. I would ask for a detailed explanation.

I had botox injections...very pricey! My doctor got me approved for Botox for migraines, but I haven't tried yet

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way, Right back at yah! Thanks,

Nancy

Lyndsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back