Are there any men diagnosed with fibro on this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trellum

Legendary member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
NL
State
NL
I was reading the other day that that fibro isn't very common among men, but it can happen from time to time. This made me wonder... are there any men over here who have been diagnosed with fibro? Do you know a man who has been diagnosed with fibro?

I'm just curious, because it seems most people over here (who have been diagnosed with fibro) are females. So it'd be interesting to know how many men over here are also suffering from this.

Hi There,

I am a male diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 6months now.

Hi Krishna! I guess you're the only man who has been diagnosed with this disease. I had never met a man suffering from this before, what was the first clue that something wrong was going on? By the way, sorry to hear you were diagnosed with this, but I'm glad you found this forum; this forum has helped me a lot.

Hi There,

I was suffering from extreme pain and spasm in upper back. I was admitted to hospital where I had various test including MRI scan done on two occasions. All tests were inconclusive. I was diagnosed by a GP who has shown great interest in researching this disease. I was sceptical at first but he told me to research it before he told me more. When I did, I found that all the other symptoms I have is related to fybro.

I cannot believe the effect this disease has. It is slowly ruining my family life and my professional career.

Sometimes I have suicidal thoughts because I just don't know what to do!

I tried all conventional fybro medication (Lyrica, Cymbalta and other pain killers) but none of them work.

Yes. I am male and I have had fibro for about 4 years now. I don't think that it is as rare as you think. I actually know several other men in my area who are also afflicted with fibromyalgia.

Hi rolling! Well, so far I had heard is way more common in women, and it seems most people over here are women. I found your post really interesting... because you mention you know other men in your area who suffer from this as well. I wonder if it could have something to do wirth the enviroment? Because where I live I have heard of no one (apart from me) suffering from this.

Hi There,

I was suffering from extreme pain and spasm in upper back. I was admitted to hospital where I had various test including MRI scan done on two occasions. All tests were inconclusive. I was diagnosed by a GP who has shown great interest in researching this disease. I was sceptical at first but he told me to research it before he told me more. When I did, I found that all the other symptoms I have is related to fybro.

Hi Krishna! Have you thought of using medical marijuana? is it even legal over there? By the way, I'm sorry to hear fibro is ruining your life. It's always hard when you're just diagnosed. It feels like your whole world is crumbling all around you, but there still is hope! There many therapies nowadays that can be used to treat fibro. Right now I'm unemdicated, but I use medical marijuana for the pain and it works great! I take other things to calm my nerves as well.

I know sometimes feeling suicidal is so easy when you're suffering from this, beleive me, I've been there a lot times! But then I remember I've a family that really need me and would feel horrible if I ever do something like that...

I am male and have it. I have leg, shoulder and neck pain, tinnitus, tmj, raynauds (I think), muscle spasms, and General Anxiety Disorder. It's been a rough ride- have had it for at least a year that I know of- probably longer. I keep plugging along hoping that one day I'll find a pain med and anxiety med that will work in harmony to get me into remission. Keep ok thinking positively.

Brian

Sorry to hear that, I'm also suffering from anxiety (plus chronic depression) right now I'm unmedicated, because I've tried both pain and anxiety meds that instead of improving things, have worsened my case with their side effects :( I'm afraid you will have to try a better solution for your anxiety issues :( Most anxiety and depression meds come with a lot side effects, and they don't always work they way they're intended to. Have you tried ASMR videos? They relax me a lot.

Hi rolling! Well, so far I had heard is way more common in women, and it seems most people over here are women. I found your post really interesting... because you mention you know other men in your area who suffer from this as well. I wonder if it could have something to do wirth the enviroment? Because where I live I have heard of no one (apart from me) suffering from this.

It doesn't have anything to do with the environment. It is unique to each individual regardless of where they live. I thought we all understood this about fibro.

Well, rollinloud, there are A LOT things that not even the doctors understand about fibro. I'm not a doctor, but I'm friends with one and he says most of them are not sure what's the main cause is. NO ONE knows for sure.

Last edited:
I am a male. I was diagnosed with Fibro, RA and UCTDs around May 2011. Probably had Fibro much longer. My sister also has Fibro.

I'm a dude and have fm. Don't know any others personally.

I am a male and have just asked the same question on another forum. My understanding is that fibro is thought to be highly under diagnosed in men. If I remember right they say that men are about 2% of those diagnosed with it. Like some of the other that posted, I have anxiety, sleeplessness and pain that has progressively and slowly gotten worse over the last few years before finally getting the diagnosis.

I take medication for the anxiety and to help me sleep. I haven't been given anything that really has hit the pain/aches... Haven't tried lyrica or cymbalta or any of the other medications mentioned here. I think it will be a trial and error phase for me for a while since I was just given the official diagnosis last month. My GP has taken a lot of time and continues to research the treatment regimes being used and I think it will begin to take some of the frustration I have had in the past away. It was kind of a relief to finally have a name attached to my condition, but at the same time disappointing that there is little known about it and the pathways to what will control it are so varied. Its not like a broken bone, where they set it, cast it and it goes away over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back