Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2015
Country
US
State
Iowa
I was just wondering if anyone else has this symptom. My arms anr hands get weak to where I can hardly even hold a pen to do my paper work for my job. Its very frustrating.

Hi there carseatmama, there are days where my arms are so weak that i can't even hold up my arms for more than a few seconds without them feeling like they're going to give out, it comes and goes. This morning I woke up and my whole right upper arm and shoulder feels so sensitive to the touch, almost like there is a big bruise (but there isn't). Holding up my arms to put on a little bit of mascara was excruciating, that I couldn't finish getting ready or even run a comb through my hair.

As for my hands, I feel a lot of pain especially in my lower part of my thumb (where the big muscle is) and my wrist gets really bad pains to the point where I want my hand chopped off sometimes

If you do a lot of paper work and use a lot of repetitive hand motions or even holding a pen in the same position for a long period of time sounds like it could be tiring for your hands and arms..all the muscles and tendons in your arms are working just as hard when your holding up that pen for a long time, probably why you feel like you arms are sore.

@Carseatmama : Well yes I have felt it for the last many years but mine is not as bad as holding a pen, I can recall I have had a very hard time with push ups in my teens although I have improved this, I am 32 and can manage about 15-20 push up's but then I always still feel that I don't have anything left in my arms, and not just arms, the story is same with most of my body, B complex at night has given me a good relief, I sleep well for the last 10 days and my energy level is better when I wake up, I have had terrible mornings but I can see a lot of improvement in this, I am working at this formula:

1) better sleep -> means-> less fatigue and more energy

so again its important how well do you sleep, I have had a sleep of very few hours earlier and the sleep was not at all deep, I could feel that at night I was in a state that I am not full asleep with 25% of my eyes opening since my body doesn't really go to sleep, B complex capsules have made a great difference and I have diagnosed fibromyalgia after 19 odd years, its been just 15 days but I can see a lot of improvement, my advice is to just work on your vitamin deficiency as your starting point, good luck with your recovery.

Cheers
Rahul

My arms are weak and fatigue fast. I have to take breaks to wash my hair and put away dishes. Repetitive motion sucks.

I have this too - sometimes for no apparent reason. Typing on the keyboard is too much some days as I have to hold my arms on my desk in order to do it. And filing is a chore and a half.. makes my neck feel tight too... it's pretty horrible. :( Hot baths seem to help and putting peppermint essential oil in with my lotion too...

good advise hayley!

your helping other here. thanks for coming to the forum.

When i life say a weight and hold it my arms start to shake uncontrollably from the weakness,i cant throw anymore as well as I used to be,thats my baseball career gone. :)

sounds like when you are flying and you say boy my arms are tired...lol

Yes, I never had issues with this until about 2 years ago, It is very frustrating! It almost feels like a have a Charlie horse in my right arm all the time! Sometimes I can't even hold them up to drive! I am on Cymbalta, it helps a lot of the pain everywhere else, but seems to not to so well on my arm pain. I also have to take Tramadol and Flexeril. When I am at work I use a heating paid on my back right shoulder is where most pain is, and it really helps a lot! When I get home I hit the heating pad also and the heating pad is my best friend! Hope things get better for you!

scren.

the cymbalta is a nerve blocker. that reduces the message that the brain has to process to send pain all over your body. not a pain killer.

the Tramadol is a pain killer and will help you to sleep. reduce the fatigue and muscle spasm.

Flexeril is a muscle relaxers to help with the weak muscles and the spasms as you sleep. thats why your feel like your been hit by a truck in the morning.

learn about your meds. read the med guide that came with them.

ask your pharmacist what to expect from the meds your are taking.

When i life say a weight and hold it my arms start to shake uncontrollably from the weakness,i cant throw anymore as well as I used to be,thats my baseball career gone. :)

TBR, dont give up on the baseball yet. try the muscles relaxers.streching and getting rid of the fatigue before you give up.

:p

cmetryme I know what my medicines are and what they do!

scren

I did not mean to offend you. i meant to inform you.

I was doing two things with my post.

1- telling the other readers what the meds are that you mentioned in your post. you did not explain this in your post.

2- you said. " I am on Cymbalta, it helps a lot of the pain everywhere else, but seems to not to so well on my arm pain."

It seamed to me you had expectations of the med that will not happen. i wanted to inform the others not to have that expectation too.
this is a common misconception of that medication.

As you know what your meds are and what they do, im sure YOU know they are designed for seizures. Others may not know this.

Each post here is meant to help all of us, not just the person that posted it.

What is Cymbalta?

Cymbalta (duloxetine) is a selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor antidepressant (SSNRI). Duloxetine affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression.

Cymbalta is used to treat major depressive disorder in adults. It is also used to treat general anxiety disorder in adults and children who are at least 7 years old.

Cymbalta is also used in adults to treat fibromyalgia (a chronic pain disorder), or chronic muscle or joint pain (such as low back pain and osteoarthritis pain).

None of the drugs I mentioned in my post are for seizures.

that would be anti epileptic drugs like Neurontin or Lyrica. And Cymbalta does help with the pain, it is not considered a "pain medicine" but it does help pain. And Flexeril does not make me feel like I was hit by a truck in the morning, I get very bad musculoskeletal headaches and taking Flexeril helps that

referanced from webmd.

How Does Cymbalta Work?

Scientists are not exactly certain how Cymbalta helps makes patients with fibromyalgia feel better; fibromyalgia itself is poorly understood. Many believe the pain is due to changes in the nervous system which cause nerve cells to fire off too many signals. This makes a person overly sensitive to things that would normally not be painful.

Researchers think that Cymbalta helps calm down these pain signals by increasing the level of two naturally occurring substances called serotonin and norepinephrine. These substances, which are found in the brain and other parts of the nervous system, can affect mood and are believed to help control and suppress feelings of pain. Cymbalta and other SNRIs block serotonin and norepinephrine from re-entering cells, and therefore increase the levels of the substances in the rest of the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back