View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 01:03 PM #14
Registered Member

DK_engineer is on a distinguished road
Registered Member
City: Newberg
State: OR
Diagnosed: 05/2015
Interest: I have Fibromyalgia, chronic pain, or chronic fatigue.
DK_engineer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Balancing work and fibromyalgia

Hi wannawork, glad to hear from you!
I am still surprised at how much stress affects my symptoms. I'm used to just forging ahead; now I have to think of a different strategy. When you feel like there are no options stress is so much worse! What forgetmenot said about fibromyalgia being your shadow resonates with me - I think of it like just another problem to manage, like a cranky coworker or a machine that breaks down all the time. This helps keep me from blaming myself for having fibromyalgia and gives me more of a sense of control.

I have only told a few trusted people about my diagnosis. Everyone else knows something is causing pain in my hands, but they don't know exactly what the problem is. In an ideal world I would be able to be open about it. However there are some highly political people in my workplace, so I have to be careful. Our business is contracting, which can really bring out the worst in people because of fear and resentment about lay offs and increasingwork loads.

I hope you can find some relief. I am using intermittent FMLA to cover time away from work; maybe that would work for you too?