Is it considered healthy for a 23 year old to need a daily nap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedonologist

Distinguished member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
hedon
I almost cannot function without an afternoon nap, around 2pm, but potentially as late as 4pm. I know many people have taken afternoon naps, and it's even more prominent in some Mediterranean cultures. But in the UK it's virtually unheard of for someone in their 20's to require a daily mid afternoon nap.

Is it something for concern, it just something unusual, but otherwise healthy?

If we have fibro taking a nap is something natural as we are tired all the time. So it's healthy yes.

Not really .fibro can make u very tired. I have to be sick before I wanna sleep in the day. But tons of ppl here have to have a rest. Don't worry about it.your body is telling u what it needs. If u can have a nap have one x

Yeah, sleeping is health as long the body needs, we just need to watch out for depression...

When it comes to if it is considered healthy or not I would go ahead and say follow what your body is telling you. Fabro can result in fatigue and if you need a little rest just make some time for it. I am a person who cannot really nap, but I certainly see the value and even a quick fifteen minutes can make a big difference for some people...it is just a personal matter. Just like @oportosanto mentioned, as long as the body needs it.

It really depends on how much you sleep at night, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

It really depends on how much you sleep at night, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

About 7 hours, so in total I'll get about 9 hours in a day if I am napping then. I would like to sleep 8 hours at night, but I always wake up after 6-7 and can't get back to sleep after. I suppose the nap is just making up for my night shortfalls.

Everyone is obviously different aswell, so while there might not be anything wrong in you taking a nap during the day, for others it could put them at a disadvantage.

The only real reason not to have a nap is if that's going to impact on your sleep at night, but overall. If your tired and feel like you need to sleep even for just an hour or two so you can continue to function, I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I almost cannot function without an afternoon nap, around 2pm, but potentially as late as 4pm. I know many people have taken afternoon naps, and it's even more prominent in some Mediterranean cultures. But in the UK it's virtually unheard of for someone in their 20's to require a daily mid afternoon nap.

Is it something for concern, it just something unusual, but otherwise healthy?

I go through times where I find myself needing a daily nap as well. I start to feel really drained around 3-5PM and I usually end up laying down for an hour or two. I've found that energy drinks help on days when I need to stay alert all day, but obviously those aren't for everyone. Otherwise, I don't see a problem with napping if it's what helps you get through the day.

If we are feeling drained we need to rest, no big question here.

TAKE A NAP! Healthy? U will feel healthier after. Take of yourself whatever it takes to feel better and function more. Don't let anyone make u feel bad for taking a nap! Including u

9 hours is not an extraordinary amount of sleep, so you probably need that nap in order to achieve the rest your body is asking for.

The big difference I see is this: Do you get that amount of sleep and feel unrested when you get up the next morning and during the early day?? For example: I fell asleep at 7:30 pm last night, slept pretty much through the night (which is amazing), woke up 5:30am. By 8am I was already exhausted and feeling that I needed to lay down.

If that's the case, then Fibro could be the reason.

There are a lot of factors that play into how much sleep my body needs. If I'm in a flare or I'm recovering from some intense days (outside in the sun, lots of walking, etc.), I need more sleep for a few days. But overall, if I get 6-7 hours a night, I don't need a nap. My body is temperamental about sleep. If I get more than 7 hours, I get a headache. If I get less than 6 hours, I don't feel well all day. So that's my sweet spot, and that's what I try to maintain, as long as those other factors don't interfere.

If your body needs more sleep, listen. Some people have found luck with biphasic or multi-phasic sleep, where they break up the 8-9 hours they need into two or more phases. If you're sleeping at around the same time every afternoon, maybe that's what your body is trying to accomplish? Just a thought.

I was prescribed daily afternoon naps for my chronic sleep disorder whilst working. It's actually written on a prescription pad. I would be cautious about taking more than 15-20 because it always made me feel worse, like I required much more and would throw me off for the rest of the day.

I can't seem to keep my eyes open these days...I am in my late 30's and off on LTD.

However, I always felt drained around 3-3:30 through my 20's. I don't think it's super abnormal.

If you feel rested after napping then I don't see why not.

My mom said that we all need sleep and if your body wants to sleep; you should let it-- unless you oversleep and never feel rested. If it's doing good for your body; it's not bad at all.

I'm 28 and just sleep whenever I can manage to since I often wake up in pain after sleeping an hour or 2. Sleep when you can!

If you sleep too much-- it could very well be a symptom of depression. It could be because you don't get enough vitamins and/or protein in your diet or because you aren't eating at all. You should get your blood tested in that case and try to make a diet change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back